Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Horizons

Posted (edited)

No ā€“ itā€™s not that one. Ā Sorry, Kuiper Belt fans.

Iā€™ve been out of proper observing since the start of the year due to an extended house move, stuff in storage, etc., but I finally managed to get out last night for the first time in the new location.

We have moved West by one county (to Devon) and up one Bortle class (not the only criterion for the destination, but a significant one). The neighbours and streetlights are a bit further away, and the horizons are much improved.

My previous Southern horizon was my own house and the adjacent ones, and my short back garden meant that anything low down was obscured.Ā  The nine Messier objects that I have yet to see were all thwarted for that reason.
The views North and West were also partly obstructed (by trees and fences), and only the East was half decent (if using a tallish tripod).

My new Southern horizon is much improved:

South.thumb.jpg.e3c0edf1ca120eecfb243f17a4794a9c.jpg

though the apple trees may need a little pruning.

This is the view from NE round to SE, a.k.a. Dartmoor:

Panorama.thumb.jpg.ba84f63dedafa28c78dd6af9561f1897.jpg

Ā 

The garden does have a pronounced slope, and some groundworks may be needed in the longer term to create a decent observing spot.
However, the previous owners did install some level decking, for the purpose of looking at the view:

Bench.thumb.jpg.1eebc3edef35393df42364291dc04b44.jpg

You may be thinking the same thing that I did, when I first set eyes on that arrangement ...

Ā 

Ā 

Dob.thumb.jpg.2a7fa9eedcb3f3b5c310759bc310566c.jpg

Thatā€™s better.

So we had a short session with the Dob last night.Ā 
CO had forecast 100% high cloud so I hadnā€™t planned a list as I usually do, and no goto available of course. As it turned out, wispy cloud did dominate, but it was mobile and there were some gaps. So I picked a few favourites that I knew I could find easily. Mizar and Izar both split comfortably, Albireo was as colourful as ever, M13 showed resolved stars well into the core, the Double Double split at higher magnification, and M57 was more obvious than Iā€™ve ever seen it before.
The Southern horizon was a bit murky with cloud
, but I was pleased to see Scorpius in easy view, and a few stars that were probably in Sagittarius. Those missing Messiers may be bagged this year.

It was hard to judge the sky darkness with the cloud around, and of course we have lost astro dark anyway. But I did clearly see Alcor with the naked eye, and I donā€™t recall having done that before.

It seems a shame to wish the Summer away, but Iā€™m already looking forward to darker nights.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Zermelo
  • Like 20

49 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

I was thinking get rid of the birch.

It did cross my mind, but I'm loathe to cut them down. Some trimming might be in order, though.

4 hours ago, Zermelo said:

No ā€“ itā€™s not that one. Ā Sorry, Kuiper Belt fans.

Iā€™ve been out of proper observing since the start of the year due to an extended house move, stuff in storage, etc., but I finally managed to get out last night for the first time in the new location.

We have moved West by one county (to Devon) and up one Bortle class (not the only criterion for the destination, but a significant one). The neighbours and streetlights are a bit further away, and the horizons are much improved.

My previous Southern horizon was my own house and the adjacent ones, and my short back garden meant that anything low down was obscured.Ā  The nine Messier objects that I have yet to see were all thwarted for that reason.
The views North and West were also partly obstructed (by trees and fences), and only the East was half decent (if using a tallish tripod).

My new Southern horizon is much improved:

South.thumb.jpg.e3c0edf1ca120eecfb243f17a4794a9c.jpg

though the apple trees may need a little pruning.

This is the view from NE round to SE, a.k.a. Dartmoor:

Panorama.thumb.jpg.ba84f63dedafa28c78dd6af9561f1897.jpg

Ā 

The garden does have a pronounced slope, and some groundworks may be needed in the longer term to create a decent observing spot.
However, the previous owners did install some level decking, for the purpose of looking at the view:

Bench.thumb.jpg.1eebc3edef35393df42364291dc04b44.jpg

You may be thinking the same thing that I did, when I first set eyes on that arrangement ...

Ā 

Ā 

Dob.thumb.jpg.2a7fa9eedcb3f3b5c310759bc310566c.jpg

Thatā€™s better.

So we had a short session with the Dob last night.Ā 
CO had forecast 100% high cloud so I hadnā€™t planned a list as I usually do, and no goto available of course. As it turned out, wispy cloud did dominate, but it was mobile and there were some gaps. So I picked a few favourites that I knew I could find easily. Mizar and Izar both split comfortably, Albireo was as colourful as ever, M13 showed resolved stars well into the core, the Double Double split at higher magnification, and M57 was more obvious than Iā€™ve ever seen it before.
The Southern horizon was a bit murky with cloud
, but I was pleased to see Scorpius in easy view, and a few stars that were probably in Sagittarius. Those missing Messiers may be bagged this year.

It was hard to judge the sky darkness with the cloud around, and of course we have lost astro dark anyway. But I did clearly see Alcor with the naked eye, and I donā€™t recall having done that before.

It seems a shame to wish the Summer away, but Iā€™m already looking forward to darker nights.

Ā 

Ā 

Previous owner made a hole for a pier in the decking.

Also, Napalm is your friend.

• Haha 1

Looks like a lovely new place to live and to observe. I look forward to hearing about your astronomy from your new home.

• Like 1

Looks brilliantā€¦ most jealous. And if you have too many apples Iā€™m almost tempted to come down and ā€œrelieveā€ you of some for my cider šŸ˜€

• Haha 1