Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Great Aurora - 10th 11th May 2024 - Real time video compilation

If you were lucky to be in the right place at the right time, it was a sight to behold.

I don't want to talk too much about it, I'll let the VIDEO do the talking, shame I couldn't present the 4K without compression due to file sizes.

Presented with an educational context.

• Like 13

14 hours ago, Ags said:

Another grand astronomical event I successfully avoided. Of all the nights to go to bed early. :( 

I'd say never give up, this is my third try attempting to see it from home, I think it was extremely fortuitous that the CMEs were so frequent and close together. Also thanks to the input of various members here whom keep an eye on things leading up to activity.

Nice work having a go at presenting this in real-time, makes a good bridge between the visual experience and the more usual long-exposure timelapses.

Something I found from the night of the 11th, the shorter the exposure the narrower the light pillars. Even in a two or three second exposure they are getting blurred out. I did see a video somewhere taken through night vision goggles which shows very rapid changes in structure. If I do get another opportunity to shoot a bright Aurora I'm going to take two cameras. I'll have the 14mm lens on one taking longer exposures but I'll open my 35mm lens up to f1.4 and set the exposure time as short as possible.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I know what you mean. You can see the changes, especially on the western feature I imaged at the end, I did 20 minutes total at 4K but it'll be too large to upload, if I've got time I'll see how it looks downscaled to 1080. It's quite nice to see in real time, and the camera picks up more than you could see visually.

Photos as you say came out great and you didn't need to expose for long at all as it was so strong. The main issue I had was imaging from my location always restricted east side, at a dark site it would have been great seeing and capturing horizon to horizon.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2

Now this was a  pleasant surprise. I was actually gutted when I saw a meteor stream across my camera display prior to setting it recording 1s or so later (never make camera adjustments) during the aurora display. Reviewing my footage I found this, a meteor during an aurora from home, what are the chances?

PloughAuroraMeteorimage-10-05-24-doimg-Copy.thumb.jpg.d6bcd1218b67172c23f3b04338db8b67.jpg

Video clip here:

• Like 3

I enjoyed the video, hope you don't mind me saying, the text was too fast and didn't get to finish reading it and digest what I was looking at before the text vanished

Thanks for the feedback, I had a feeling someone would mention it. It was actually even faster at first cut and I've slowed it way down, due to free Flickr account limitations I'm limited to 3 mins so had to keep it on the quick side. YT doesn't have such a short limit I believe, and has options to upload at higher resolutions.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I enjoyed the video, hope you don't mind me saying, the text was too fast and didn't get to finish reading it and digest what I was looking at before the text vanished

@Elp

If you click on the 'three vertical dots' or 'kebab menu' at the bottom right of the video panel you are given a selection of "Playback speeds" ranging from 2x right down to 0.25x ... 😉

Edited by Steve Ward
  • Like 2