NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Great storm of May 10th Aurora

Posted (edited)

Beautiful! 🙂 Am I right in my conclusion that you weren't able to capture the exact 'source' of the pillars? I mean it looks like the lower latitude the more 'parallel' the pillars are. 

Edited by Vroobel
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Vroobel said:

Beautiful! 🙂 Am I right in my conclusion that you weren't able to capture the exact 'source' of the pillars? I mean it looks like the lower latitude the more 'parallel' the pillars are. 

Yeah, that's right, the source of the pillars were more diffuse. 

• Like 1

But it seemed to change rather dramatically, how far I'm from you in Liverpool? The 'source' was very high, but I cannot say that it was close to the Zenith. It was nearly between Arcturus and Alkaid. Interesting. 🤔

sbCXuB6iS32M_1824x0_esdlMP5Y(1).thumb.jpg.deb736eebad02a530457130c87b2876d.jpg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Vroobel said:

But it seemed to change rather dramatically, how far I'm from you in Liverpool? The 'source' was very high, but I cannot say that it was close to the Zenith. It was nearly between Arcturus and Alkaid. Interesting. 🤔

sbCXuB6iS32M_1824x0_esdlMP5Y(1).thumb.jpg.deb736eebad02a530457130c87b2876d.jpg

Lovely pic of a aurora crown. The crown was not visible although aurora could be seen all around the sky apart from the zenith. 

• Like 1

Thanks. Anyway, it was a breathtaking phenomenon and I'm more than happy that it happened over our heads and the weather was enough gracious. 😍

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vroobel said:

The 'source' was very high, but I cannot say that it was close to the Zenith. It was nearly between Arcturus and Alkaid. Interesting. 🤔

"Source", I've done a panning video from west to zenith and it seemed to radiate from a wide area, when I first saw it visually I was looking directly up at zenith and it looked like it was there, but looking west it looked like from the tail of the big dipper.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2

I was in West Devon on the 10th. And the display changed significantly over time. 

There were clear pillars at times East and west. For a period of time there was a clear 'crown' near Arcturus. It seemed that just prior to this there was a clear arc of aurora from the east to west it felt like the front of the aurora passed over and moved south. 

Later it seemed to me slightly north again and the east west pillars became stronger. 

Excellent pics Nigella 😀

Cheers

Ian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here are a couple of pics of mine. The crown does appear to be between Arcturus and the handle of the Big Dipper. This was Edinburgh:

image.png.5931967c7fd3aaef2e5ba696a62e1a3d.png

image.png.f8475696863909354e4da71203d6c537.png

• Like 3

Here's mine, from North Cheshire, so not very far from Liverpool.

The most obvious star that's at about 8 o'clock from the auroral corona, is Arcturus. 

Sony A5000, F/3.5 - 5s exposure at 320 ISO.

Clearly, over enhanced, but it brings out the detail.

DSC09108adj.thumb.jpg.813c1df0113dd4d7dfa81ab214c5af59.jpg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

Here's mine, from North Cheshire, so not very far from Liverpool.

The most obvious star that's at about 8 o'clock from the auroral corona, is Arcturus. 

Sony A5000, F/3.5 - 5s exposure at 320 ISO.

Clearly, over enhanced, but it brings out the detail.

DSC09108adj.thumb.jpg.813c1df0113dd4d7dfa81ab214c5af59.jpg

Yeah, shows the corona crown really well, didn't see that from the South West of England, at least I didn't. I've seen it from outside Glasgow before but  not here. Interesting. 

Nice shots @Nigella Bryant, similar views to me though I could only take 3s handheld shots.

I didn’t think I caught any of the crown, but going back through my images I do have two. They also show it near Arcturus, consistent with what others saw.

C01ED261-D6B2-4DC1-84B9-5DF23E85F962.jpeg

03440B52-E8BA-408B-96D7-D996CD1F074B.jpeg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stu said:

Nice shots @Nigella Bryant, similar views to me though I could only take 3s handheld shots.

I didn’t think I caught any of the crown, but going back through my images I do have two. They also show it near Arcturus, consistent with what others saw.

C01ED261-D6B2-4DC1-84B9-5DF23E85F962.jpeg

03440B52-E8BA-408B-96D7-D996CD1F074B.jpeg

Well done Stu, lovely captures.