Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from NZ.

Southern_Cross

Hi,

I emigrated to New Zealand 15 months ago from the UK.

I can't believe just how clear the skies are here. The Milky Way is just so bright, the Coalsack nebula (along with the SMC and LMC) are easy naked eye objects even when the moon is up... There appear to be 10 times more stars visible than when I lived in the UK, totally amazing.

I had to leave my old trusty f8, 6.25 inch reflector in the UK (due to the size, weight and age of the mount) but I did manage to grab and take a new Nexstar 114GT (which has just been dragged out of storage a few weeks ago and I have used it a few times). Also have a pair of Opticron 11x80's and I do have a couple of pairs of Zeiss 7x50’s that are excellent.

Once you get your head around Orion and the moon being upside down from here it's great.

Oh... and Christmas is in the middle of summer, but I don't think I will ever get used to that!

Cheers

SC

Hi Talitha,

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes the skies here are stunning, you really have to see them to appreciate just how clear they are. In summer the stars don't even twinkle, I've never seen anything like it.

Some of the skies we sailed under on our way here were pretty impressive too... some were totally black, like Easter Island, with bright points of light and the Milky Way almost casting a shadow and others, like New York, just so much light pollution reflecting off the clouds it looked awesome, no use at all for astronomy but awesome never the less.

Cheers

SC

Hi Southern Cross

Welcome to SGL.

I've been to NZ many times from the UK. Just come back from 7 months over there.

Took a small travel scope and DSLR. Yes they've certainly got better skies than the UK - many more stars visible. Orion upside down and the moon on its side!

Enjoy the NZ skies.

I look forward to coming back out later this year.

MD

Hi, and welcome to SGL.

There's no doubt the Southern Night Sky, has a charm all of its own, and I'm looking forward to my fourth visit 'down under' within three years, nearer to Christmas this year.

I spent Christmas in Oz, in 2007, and it does indeed seem strange, having it in the middle of summer :icon_rolleyes:, but a nice sort of strange ;)

Dave

Thanks to all for the very warm welcome.

In reply to a few of the questions and comments : -

Anyone who ever gets the chance to see the southern skies will not be disappointed.

I live at Waikanae Beach on the Kapiti Coast (30 miles-ish North of Wellington).

I am also about to spend out on some much needed new equipment will post (in the correct place) as to what I think I need and was about to order when... :)

I saw a discussion on this site for the Skywatcher 190mm Mak-Newtonian which threw all my plans into total confusion.

http://stargazerslounge.com/sponsor-announcements-offers/68722-skywatcher-190mm-maksutov-newtonian-astrograph.html

Cheers

SC

Hi southern cross and welcome,

you make me wish i was there as well with the dark skies oh hum,

will just have to wait till i retire in a few years time before i can move away from the light pollution here.

regards ron.s.g

Archived