Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I guess it was free...

jp1977

Hi - First timer here.  I was browsing one of those sites where people give their useless junk away for free to other people locally and stumbled across someone giving a telescope away.

Despite being a sci-fi fan, I've never even looked through a telescope before (I'm 47). So I saw this and thought 'why not - might be fun, and might be something the missues and kids will enjoy'.

Got it home (massive thing on a tripod), took it to peices (I'm a tinkerer) and cleaned away layers of thick dust and put it all back together again.

During this clean up, I found a problem with one of the gears on the mount (sorry, not sure of the correct terminology, yet) - it was the gear that makes fine adjustments up and down when you turn a flexible dial. Anyway, the gear appears to be plastic (nylon?) and about 1/3rd of the teeth are chewed out.

Not to worry I thought - I'll just spin it around so that the good 2/3rd's are within the range I'm likely going to need when adjusting the scope and in the meantime I'll look for a spare - that's a future problem.

I set it up last night for a quick peek, without doing any kind of research - managed to get the crescent moon in shot on the viewfinder. It was a very cloudy night and the moon was obscured intermittently (more so than not). The viewfinder and main cylinder aren't aligned yet either, so what's in the viewfinder, doesn't match what the cylinder sees (another future problem).

Actually seeing anything through the lens looks like it'll need to be a learned skill, as just sticking my eye right up to it resulted in a small blurry circle with my own eyelashes being the main thing I could see for some reason. Backing off slightly and getting the circle of light to fill the view seemed to work but it was a bit hit and miss. But, through some trial and error (adjusting both the horizontal and vertical direction whilst looking through the eyepeice and following light spots around the edges), I was able to get the moon in shot for about 5 seconds before a particularly thick bank of clouds came and didn't look like they were going to clear again for a while.

I mean, what I saw through the lens was pretty amazing for someone who doesn't know any better. For that brief 5 seconds, I got a really clear view of the moon and it's craters and the line where the shadow turns to light - It was pretty amazing.

I gave up after that, as between the clouds, the inexperience of setting up the telescope with the correct angles for my location (UK, Northwest), making the fine adjustments in the right directions, and the incorrect viewfinder alignment, it was just lucky I managed to see anything at all.

Definately hooked though - going to wait for a completely clear night with a good moon (cresent or otherwise) and give it a good go.

Now for the punchline - whilst researching for more lenses (it came with 1 lens only - a 20mm I think), filters, set up instructions and something beyond the basics - I found this site, along with some delightful reviews of the Seben Big Boss 1400-150. Oh well, I guess it was free...

Anyway, going to stick with the free scope for now, try and get some decent views, get the family hooked on it and then maybe I can convince them it's a worthwhile investment to get something half decent :)

22635914.jpg

• Like 12

Hello and welcome to SGL.

A good move learning on a free scope. Unfortunately some spend lots of money buying used stuff that needs lots of money throwing at it.

First comment. In daylight look at a distant object. Building, tree on horizon, TV aerail. Anything a long way off.
Locate the object using the main scope. Then move the finder to centre the object.
I can't see the detail in your photo. But usally the finder tube has adjustment. sometimes the base as well.

Keep the comments/questions coming and enjoy the journey.

• Like 1

You've got a little newtonian reflector on an equatorial mount.  Nice.   Your first upgrade should be 2 or 3 better eye pieces and probably a Barlow (this doubles your scopes focal length so doubles your magnification...2 eps and a Barlow gives you 4 different magnification options).

Now wait for the cloud to clear... and wait.... and wait

2 hours ago, jp1977 said:

Hi - First timer here.  I was browsing one of those sites where people give their useless junk away for free to other people locally and stumbled across someone giving a telescope away.

Despite being a sci-fi fan, I've never even looked through a telescope before (I'm 47). So I saw this and thought 'why not - might be fun, and might be something the missues and kids will enjoy'.

Got it home (massive thing on a tripod), took it to peices (I'm a tinkerer) and cleaned away layers of thick dust and put it all back together again.

During this clean up, I found a problem with one of the gears on the mount (sorry, not sure of the correct terminology, yet) - it was the gear that makes fine adjustments up and down when you turn a flexible dial. Anyway, the gear appears to be plastic (nylon?) and about 1/3rd of the teeth are chewed out.

Not to worry I thought - I'll just spin it around so that the good 2/3rd's are within the range I'm likely going to need when adjusting the scope and in the meantime I'll look for a spare - that's a future problem.

I set it up last night for a quick peek, without doing any kind of research - managed to get the crescent moon in shot on the viewfinder. It was a very cloudy night and the moon was obscured intermittently (more so than not). The viewfinder and main cylinder aren't aligned yet either, so what's in the viewfinder, doesn't match what the cylinder sees (another future problem).

Actually seeing anything through the lens looks like it'll need to be a learned skill, as just sticking my eye right up to it resulted in a small blurry circle with my own eyelashes being the main thing I could see for some reason. Backing off slightly and getting the circle of light to fill the view seemed to work but it was a bit hit and miss. But, through some trial and error (adjusting both the horizontal and vertical direction whilst looking through the eyepeice and following light spots around the edges), I was able to get the moon in shot for about 5 seconds before a particularly thick bank of clouds came and didn't look like they were going to clear again for a while.

I mean, what I saw through the lens was pretty amazing for someone who doesn't know any better. For that brief 5 seconds, I got a really clear view of the moon and it's craters and the line where the shadow turns to light - It was pretty amazing.

I gave up after that, as between the clouds, the inexperience of setting up the telescope with the correct angles for my location (UK, Northwest), making the fine adjustments in the right directions, and the incorrect viewfinder alignment, it was just lucky I managed to see anything at all.

Definately hooked though - going to wait for a completely clear night with a good moon (cresent or otherwise) and give it a good go.

Now for the punchline - whilst researching for more lenses (it came with 1 lens only - a 20mm I think), filters, set up instructions and something beyond the basics - I found this site, along with some delightful reviews of the Seben Big Boss 1400-150. Oh well, I guess it was free...

Anyway, going to stick with the free scope for now, try and get some decent views, get the family hooked on it and then maybe I can convince them it's a worthwhile investment to get something half decent :)

22635914.jpg

Great bit of kit JP, and all the better for being a freebie! Looks to be about 150mm of aperture? There are arguments for bigger, but here in the UK this is typically the limit of resolving power as dictated by the atmosphere on an average night! I hope the scope brings you and the family many fun evenings!

Welcome to SGL. It looks like it could be a Bird Jones style of Newtonian reflector in which case I would hold off from buying a Barlow lens to increase the magnification. Can you possibly take a photo of the label on the side of the telescope which should have some numbers on it which is the focal length and ratio/ aperture etc. This will let folk know whether it's a a Bird Jones or not. Regarding the teeth on one of the drives being non existent there's always the 3D printer solution.

• Like 3

Hi JP and welcome to the astro back hole! You'll find no end of helpful advice and guidance here which will hopefully keep you headed in the right direction towards some even more exciting and rewarding views. Enjoy the oddessey!

J

Hi @jp1977 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Congratulations on bagging a freebie ‘scope! :thumbsup:

As per what @bosun21 suggests, post an image of the manufacturers label and SGL’ers can advise what you may need next.

For aligning the finder with the OTA, do it during the daytime on a distant object, (ie a TV or FM radio aerial/antenna), and preferably outside in the garden, as setting up inside the house and looking through a pane of glass my cause unnecessary artefacts and reflections, etc.

Wishing you and family clear skies & 73’s.

• Like 1

I think OP has already told us what the 'scope is when they say,

" I found this site, along with some delightful reviews of the Seben Big Boss 1400-150. Oh well, I guess it was free... "

Amazon reckon : "Seben's Big Boss 1400-150 reflector telescope is, because of its perfect workmanship and enormous performance data, the unquestioned top telescope of Seben's astronomy series. Undreamed of possibilities become true for the ambitious user of Seben's Big Boss telescope because of its huge 150mm aperture and the tremendous focal length of 1400mm." https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seben-Boss-1400-150-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B00692THU2

It's a Bird Jones (or possibly Jones Bird :icon_scratch: ?) design, which the above ad avoids saying by using the term catadioptric.

• Like 2

I was given one of these to "play" with some years ago, it is a "Bird-Jones" type.  It actually looked quite well made and finished but the performance was pretty sub par.  After faffing about with the collimation for ages I managed to get a fairly decent image out of it, good enough to please a complete beginner but not worth spending any extra money on it.  Quite a bargain for free.     🙂 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Welcome to SGL. It looks like it could be a Bird Jones style of Newtonian reflector in which case I would hold off from buying a Barlow lens to increase the magnification. Can you possibly take a photo of the label on the side of the telescope which should have some numbers on it which is the focal length and ratio/ aperture etc. This will let folk know whether it's a a Bird Jones or not. Regarding the teeth on one of the drives being non existent there's always the 3D printer solution.

Hi there and welcome to SGL, focal length and ratio is 1400/150, which, looking at the picture of the scope suggests this is a Bird/Jones type telescope.

Edited by rwilkey

Thanks for the welcome and the great advice. I'll take the next opportunity to collimate in the daytime, outisde and wait for a clear night and let you know how I get on. Glad I didn't actually spend any money on this particular telescope (which is a Seben Big Boss 150/1400 6" bird-jones style) but I think it's going to be perfect for a newbie.

• Like 2

Welcome JP

You have landed in the right place.

Best Astronomy forum on the net, lots of different sections to help you on your journey.

If you can get the family hooked, that’s Galveston the journey.

Manual for that mode is Here

• Like 1

On 16/04/2024 at 12:12, jp1977 said:

Thanks for the welcome and the great advice. I'll take the next opportunity to collimate in the daytime, outisde and wait for a clear night and let you know how I get on. Glad I didn't actually spend any money on this particular telescope (which is a Seben Big Boss 150/1400 6" bird-jones style) but I think it's going to be perfect for a newbie.

As a fellow noob, my first reaction is - it's free, how bad can it be?

The reality *possibly* is - bad, if it doesn't match up with expectations.

If I were lucky enough to get such a thing for free, I'd look at a few YouTube videos on if it's possible to optimise it for visual for little cash/effort. 

Noob as I am bird Jones is a red flag, but expert people on here are lovely, very helpful and refreshingly frank ;) 

• Like 1

On 15/04/2024 at 10:54, jp1977 said:

22635914.jpg

@jp1977 Hi. May I ask, what is that name of the manufacturer that is illegible in the photo? It's on the side of the telescope written in black it appears?

3 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

what is that name of the manufacturer that is illegible in the photo?

On 16/04/2024 at 12:12, jp1977 said:

this particular telescope (which is a Seben Big Boss 150/1400 6" bird-jones style)

• Sad 1

Looks like you started the same way I did. My neighbor is a teacher.  His school bought a telescope that could be a dead-ringer for yours.  They couldn't get it to focus, so he gave it to me.  I determined what was wrong  -- an easy fix.  Of course, I became hooked.  Got a couple more eyepieces.   Added a cellphone holder.  Seeing the moon and planets on the cellphone got my wife hooked.  Led to better equipment.  Now I'm delving into astrophotography.  Take it slow.  Listen to folks and do your research.  Think in terms of what you want to do, what kind of stuff you want to "shoot."  Makes a big difference on the kind of equipment,  and saves you from spending money on things you really don't need.  Also doesn't hurt to join a club.  Cheers.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Astronomist said:

Oh dear! That was what i already feared ( I was about 90% sure! ) it was! It's junk like that which puts potential long term passionate astro-nuts off the hobby for the rest of their lives...really not good!

Probably not the right place to post these, but as a bookend to my first post, here's an update.

So the mount for the telescope is super wobbly - this is due to the chewed out clutch gear on the altitude dial - the telescope basically just spins on this axis without any resistance. I'll get this sorted soon, but I'm using some masking tape for now when I have a position - easy to remove and reapply quickly during adjustments for a bit of added stability.

I managed to get a reasonable collimation using the methods provided here (using a pigeon sat in a tree :)) and then got a decent look at the moon during the daytime. Then had another decent night time session as well.

Managed to get some handheld iPhone 6s photos by holding the phone near the lens (images attached. The images don;t really capture the level of detail I was able to enjoy, but I can improve on this, I'm sure - can only get better from this point - consider me hooked!

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1440.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, jp1977 said:

The images don;t really capture the level of detail I was able to enjoy, but I can improve on this, I'm sure - can only get better from this point - consider me hooked"

And so it begins ... :smile:

• Haha 6