Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What do you regret selling?

bosun21

We have just had a post here of what you regret buying. My question is what do you regret selling? I'm quite sure that there are many who have experienced sellers regret. I certainly have over the years.

I regret selling my 8" Skywatcher reflector and my Meade 127mm refractor. 

The reflector was flocked put better springs on it don't the mod on the focuser and on the secondary. RACI and Telrad fitted Went to Buxton to a informal meet the objects I saw that weekend was fabulous. 

The Meade I had it fitted with a Skywatcher dual speed focuser I split a 0.9° double star it was brilliant. 

I am sure once I sell my 10" Celestron Starsense I won't regret the sale I have nowhere to take it with 40 min to a hour away from here so it's not getting used. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bosun21 said:

We have just had a post here of what you regret buying. My question is what do you regret selling? I'm quite sure that there are many who have experienced sellers regret. I certainly have over the years.

I’m going to need to go through counselling once again before I answer this q.

Just going to lie down in a darkened room for a while 

• Haha 10

Not a lot of regrets. Mainly because I am not that good at parting with kit!
Often when buying the different/improved kit I hang on to the old for comparison.
The comparison phase then turns into keeping the old for holiday/weekend away use.
Then it may get loaned out to someone.
Eventually my house has started to resemble an astronomy kit warehouse/showroom!

• Like 3

After the initial early "starter scope" purchases I've been quite specific about what I buy. I don't buy scopes which are similar, that's a lesson in futility (and/or wasted money), unless I want their focal lengths to match for imaging, but now I have a range of optics from short widefield lenses to short FL to long FL so I have all bases covered, don't think I really need anything else now. Eyepieces generally come and go but now mine are set in stone. If anything, I have too much stuff which hardly gets used due to the weather, but I know once I release something I'll likely miss it at some point down the line because now it's all decent stuff (no Tak or anything that quality, can't justify them).

• Like 2

I've had regrets about a few things that I've parted with over the years. In some cases enough to make me re-buy them. Usually (with just a couple of exceptions) though I realise why I parted with the original one and then end up selling on the 2nd one as well after a short time 🙄

I think I have even bought and sold a couple of items 3 times before finally realising that I could actually live without them after all !

Overall though, I probably have the best quality equipment now that I have ever had so I'm content to have let a few things get away to be more appreciated elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I regret selling my skymax 127 and star adventurer 2i but needed the money at the time. ☹️

I used to have a skywatcher 150p on eq3-2 mount but font regret selling that as much as the previously mentioned items. 

Lee 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, seven_legs said:

Regretted selling my ST 120 refractor, a few years back.

I put a 2-speed Crayford on mine and the combo was a bit much for my mounts and to take camping, etc.  It sat unused in my scope cabinet for a year, so when I got an ST102, I sold the ST120.  No regrets there.  Maybe I'll miss the aperture one of these years.

It might sound crazy, but I wish I hadn't sold the Sears / Tasco 60mm refractor that was my first telescope.  I think it might be fun just to see what it could do now that I'm substantially older and marginally wiser.  But I wanted a better amp for my bass guitar at the time.  LOL.

I'm about to list a few more astro items for sale and I have to admit I'm wondering if I should just hold onto them, just in case.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jjohnson3803 said:

I put a 2-speed Crayford on mine and the combo was a bit much for my mounts and to take camping, etc.  It sat unused in my scope cabinet for a year, so when I got an ST102, I sold the ST120.  No regrets there.  Maybe I'll miss the aperture one of these years.

It might sound crazy, but I wish I hadn't sold the Sears / Tasco 60mm refractor that was my first telescope.  I think it might be fun just to see what it could do now that I'm substantially older and marginally wiser.  But I wanted a better amp for my bass guitar at the time.  LOL.

I'm about to list a few more astro items for sale and I have to admit I'm wondering if I should just hold onto them, just in case.

My first scope was the 40mm Tasco on a wobbly table top tripod legs, have fond memories of that scope with my best friend.

Always remember Patrick Moore always saying that you need a minimum of a 3" refractor. As a  kid in the early 80's there was no way my parents could afford that lol

• Like 5

I posted this in the regret buying rather than the regret selling.

I regret that.

So posting here.

The only scope I’ve sold and regretted was my lovely Pentax 75 SDHF refractor.

Ive regretted selling quite a few eyepieces so have given up doing that. My biggest EP regret was my Pentax XP 3.8. I sold at a crazy low price. They don’t often appear on the used market and it took me years to find another, in Japan, for about 3 times the price.

• Like 1