Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A road trip around the dark skies of Arizona and a visit to the Lowell Observatory

8 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Incredible experience! the telescope patio is just beautiful, regarding the 3" ES eyepiece, does it come with a set of counterweights? 

I think that Planewave was the counterweight 😂

I still can’t believe they were 3” eyepieces, I never knew they existed. I can say that the viewing experience was fantastic through them though. I’m wondering if I can put one on my FC76….

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

I think that Planewave was the counterweight 😂

I still can’t believe they were 3” eyepieces, I never knew they existed. I can say that the viewing experience was fantastic through them though. I’m wondering if I can put one on my FC76….

The US company Siebert makes them up to 4.3 inches format, for observatory instruments (the Pentax is a 2 inch for scale):

image.png.dd87847bc795d61a2aa32ac151b5b228.png

Edited by John
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve just watched that video. Unless I misinterpreted, it seems the 3” eyepiece was destined for their smallest telescope, the TEC 140. Although there were two 3” diagonals - perhaps the single 3” eyepiece was a test before ordering more.

29 minutes ago, Captain Scarlet said:

I’ve just watched that video. Unless I misinterpreted, it seems the 3” eyepiece was destined for their smallest telescope, the TEC 140. Although there were two 3” diagonals - perhaps the single 3” eyepiece was a test before ordering more.

Explore Scientific seem to supply eyepieces and diagonals to some of the really large telescopes. They get some good publicity out of it so I would hope that the equipment is provided for nothing or at least heavily discounted. Here at the 40 inch Yerkes refractor for example:

Inside the World's Largest Refractor at Yerkes Observatory: Explore Scientific Experiences (youtube.com)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Outstanding report!  I'm only about 1500 miles away, but the closest I've gotten to Flagstaff is Phoenix (also a biz trip).

The two couldn't be more different for being so close and in the same state.  Phoenix is an urban mega-sprawl in the hot desert while Flagstaff is a relatively compact city in a cool ponderosa pine forest 6000 feet higher in elevation.

• Like 1

What an amazing trip! And a great read, thanks so much for sharing. Looks like Disneyland for astronomers, one for the bucketlist for sure! 

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Thanks 1

On 21/01/2024 at 22:28, Nicola Fletcher said:

… I had my 22mm Nagler in my backpack just in case 

I have an image in my head of road trip = toothbrush, credit card, Nagler T6. Everything catered for 👌🏼

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Captain Scarlet said:

I have an image in my head of road trip = toothbrush, credit card, Nagler T6. Everything catered for 👌🏼

Nah, you need a 3-inch eyepiece it seems 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Unless I misinterpreted, it seems the 3” eyepiece was destined for their smallest telescope, the TEC 140.

I thought he said that too. Although looking at the date of the video, I don’t think they had the 24” Planewave then which they got in 2020. Maybe they got a second one or moved it off the 140?

You’re not far wrong, toothbrush, credit card, telescope and eyepieces almost covered it 👍😊

• Like 1

Road tripping in the American Southwest is a lot of fun.  You can play it by ear and see where the road takes you if you don't like to do a lot of planning.  Just make sure to fill your gas tank every chance you get.  It can be hundreds of miles between gas stations.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Road tripping in the American Southwest is a lot of fun.  You can play it by ear and see where the road takes you if you don't like to do a lot of planning.  Just make sure to fill your gas tank every chance you get.  It can be hundreds of miles between gas stations.

This view around Animas, NM is a good example. (^8

AZ-Mtns-2_stitch-med.jpg

• Like 4