NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dr Jane

janemc40

retired Dr interested in star observation i’m visually impaired and love to find new technology or ways to observe the stars and planets for best experience and understand more as not a expert at all but try to know exactly what i’m viewing and the constant changes with stars and planets amongst other entities not always seen or talked about socially but the best views are the anonymous moments and love to learn more. Any that knows about equipment or places i can go to get the best visuals with my sight is much appreciated. also interested if anyone has noticed the last four nights how clear they have been and the hundreds of stars i can see with no scope they’ve been so bright without a cloud in the sky. i live in leeds and live rural south facing. The view has been outstanding that i don’t remember seeing anything similar since being in north carolina years ago or peru where the moon was blood orange and felt it was only couple of hundred yards from me 

• Like 2

Hi Dr. Jane :)

There certainly have been a few good clear nights recently. You have the Polar air flow to thank for that. Such air is usually dry and clear. In winter though it can be "unstable", the warm surface causes convection through the cold air. The result is twinkling stars, very twinly usually. That can add another dimension for visual observers! Not so good for high magnification views through telescopes. It blurs the stars and planets.

Without in-depth understanding of your visual impairment, it's difficult to suggest ways to increase your enjoyment of the night sky. If you want to look through a telescope you can use a "binoviewer". This allows both eyes to be used to look through the scope, giving greater visual comfort and acuity:

I've not watched this video, but it's Ed Ting so I'm sure it'll demonstrate the concept very well:

If you're interested in electronic observing or imaging, there is currently an explosion in that market. Simple telescopes that are affordable and do most of the hard work for you. The most popular currently is, I guess, the ZWO Seestar. Pretty much plug and play and you get an image of your subject in quick order. All the rage!

• Like 3

i’ve had what looks like a very large star but possibly planet moving rapidly last two days never seen anything moving this fast and especially this evening as it’s moved from a mile away to going towards the moon within the space of 6 minutes i know i’m a novice but very curious to know more i’ve also recently had an invitation to go to york and london for the evening to use the Harrison telescope as they have sources and technology i can use to view better so very much a privilege. i’ve tried to attach best photo from phone of what im talking about sorry for any rubbish images IMG_1688.thumb.jpeg.5f291bf213f04692f4c3f192379e1107.jpegIMG_1689.thumb.jpeg.6228e49d59402aa80251a15ac9f29337.jpegIMG_1688.thumb.jpeg.5f291bf213f04692f4c3f192379e1107.jpegIMG_1688.thumb.jpeg.5f291bf213f04692f4c3f192379e1107.jpeg

IMG_1686.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello janemc40 and welcome to the site.

My guess is that you have seen either the ISS or one of other larger satellites that are floating around up there. Looking at Stellarium, the ISS went over at about 18.00 tonight, no idea if it was something you could see from your location so might be worth looking at something like stellarium to see if you can pin point it.

All the best

i’m not sure satellite as im looking south facing and come from the east which only appeared east five days ago and all of sudden started moving fast two days ago and been in same spot till half an hour ago and was moving fast that it was approaching our Earths own satellite very fast unless moving anomaly 

Thanks Dweller25 i did think maybe a planet usually don’t see them but with sky so clear im able to see a lot of different parts of constellations which has got me really excited to know more i’ve been blind in one eye since 11 and have limited vision in other with disease i first got interested when travelling in my 20’s bought a very cheap scope and a constellation map and some information about celestial objects and night activity including rare eclipses blood moon etc and this probably nothing to anyone but brilliant for me makes me want to go back iceland, south america and alaska for starters thank you 

@janemc40 Some time between about 5 and 6 p.m. today, there was a train of bright Starlink satellites passing above the Moon, which were moving quite rapidly. In you images I can see the Moon, with Jupiter below and slightly left, but you also have some imaging artefacts present, due to internal reflections. Your last image appears to show a couple at about the correct separation above the Moon.

13 hours ago, janemc40 said:

i was looking at this scope if anyone knows about it and has a review 

I have this scope (the C8 SE).  There should be lots of reviews online if you look. A fine scope for visual use, and easy to move around as a unit.  With the SE mount, not much good for imaging, except maybe planetary imaging.

Welcome to SGL Jane.  I hope you are enjoying retirement!  I finished as a GP 6 years ago and haven't looked back!

If your visual impairment mainly affects the macula you should be fine for deep sky observing.  In fact observers have to train themselves away from using their central vision towards using "averted vision" engaging the more light sensitive parts of the retina.

You have picked a nice scope!

• Like 2

Thanks after a bit of research and the help of a friend with using their scope it seems that because i’m looking directly at orion’s belt which has started to rise up in the last week i’m able to view sirius (Takurua by Māori) showing as a blue bright white star moving fast because its position also allowing me to see Betelgeuse showing as red by midnight which is an absolute pleasure. thanks for everyone’s suggestions and help and yes although retired early with health i’m enjoying using my mind to learn more although difficult with one remaining eye and focusing due to optic neuritis but making the most of what i’ve got and the amazing things i can capture 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...