Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter x 2

John

What's this ??? 

Two sketches from me during a Jupiter observing season !!! 😲

Well the giant planet has really been putting on a show over the last couple of months and since it has actually stopped raining for a while I've even been able to observe it a few times and I've been inspired to put pencil to paper 😁

I do these quite quickly because I've found it the best way not to get bogged down in transitory details. I've tried to sketch what was obviously there rather than what I thought might be 🙄

Both done while observing with my 100mm refractor but not quite at the scope because the pencil and paper were on the dining room table a couple of meters from the scope, and where it is warmer !

The first was on the 6th January (I posted it somewhere on SGL back then) and the second sketch was tonight at around 19:00 hrs. Europa and Io were just about to go behind the planet and were just off the western limb, so I included them labelled "E" and "I" respectively. I enjoyed doing these so I might do some more, if the clear nights continue 🙂

And I do think the process helps you to see more as well 👍

jupiter060124.jpg.0908b33696befa1d04745b9efded9022.jpg

jup150124.jpg.c7d18ca7cc706f3359cf695df2f2cc02.jpg

Edited by John
  • Like 23

Excellent. Thanks for sharing.

17 minutes ago, John said:

I enjoyed doing these so I might do some more, if the clear nights continue 🙂

My thinking too.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, John said:

What's this ??? 

Two sketches from me during a Jupiter observing season !!! 😲

Well the giant planet has really been putting on a show over the last couple of months and since it has actually stopped raining for a while I've even been able to observe it a few times and I've been inspired to put pencil to paper 😁

I do these quite quickly because I've found it the best way not to get bogged down in transitory details. I've tried to sketch what was obviously there rather than what I thought might be 🙄

Both done while observing with my 100mm refractor but not quite at the scope because the pencil and paper were on the dining room table a couple of meters from the scope, and where it is warmer !

The first was on the 6th January (I posted it somewhere on SGL back then) and the second sketch was tonight at around 19:00 hrs. Europa and Io were just about to go behind the planet and were just off the western limb, so I included them labelled "E" and "I" respectively. I enjoyed doing these so I might do some more, if the clear nights continue 🙂

jupiter060124.jpg.0908b33696befa1d04745b9efded9022.jpg

jup150124.jpg.c7d18ca7cc706f3359cf695df2f2cc02.jpg

Brilliant John I'm hoping to get out Wednesday night but I doubt I will get views like these with my 4" Refractor. 

• Like 1

These are great. And the detail you are getting in a 4 ich is very impressive. Do post more if you do them. Feeling a bit inspired to try myself, now.

Edited by GordonD
  • Thanks 1

Lovely John.  It’s silly obvious but what is so rewarding with Jupiter is its nightly variation and sketching really helps capture that change and imprint it on the memory. Super. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...