Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heads up on reduced Dob from Bresser

GasGiant

Hey folks

Not sure if this is allowed. If not, MODS can slap my wrist and remove or move to more suitable location.

BresserUK on ebay have reduced their 10" Dob from £687 to £476. Its coming from Germany but free post so just little delay. 

It goes without saying I have no benefit from posting this, and have no link to Bresser.  It just looked like a bargain if someone is in the market for a 10 incher

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165991965422?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338365712&toolid=20006&customid=EB175159625&

Edited by GasGiant
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As it happens, I've been thinking about a 10" for a while, but not having a house big enough to store one. I recall that the Bresser has been thought well of here, in particular for the size of its altitude bearings?
That is very tempting.

I did head to head tests of the Bresser, Skywatcher and GSO (the Stella Lyra is a rebadged GSO) in telescope shops.

The clear winner for me was the Bresser.  The mounting (something very expensive to upgrade unless you make your own) is both smoother and easier to balance. The focuser was better too, although single speed - an add on upgrade to double speed is available although not essential.

If I hadn't found a used OOUK I'd have bought the 10 inch Bresser.

The only downside of the Bresser is that it's slightly more expensive than the competition, especially if the finder is upgraded to a RACI and the focuser to double speed.

Not so now!  With this huge reduction this represents a fabulous bargain!

I just hope they're not going to discontinue them.

Edited by Second Time Around
  • Like 2

I pulled the trigger on the Bresser. I've been waiting for one for a while, and that price was too good to ignore.

The truss ES looks good, but my searches didn't uncover as much love for it as for the Bresser.

Thanks for the lead,  @GasGiant.

• Like 6

I saw a comparison review not long ago, against a star-watcher and it was suggested that the Bresser was the better option.

I too have pulled the trigger on this one, it’s been in my sights for some time.

Thank you for the heads up. All I need now is some muscles!🤣

chaz

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

So, who's getting the commission, lol 😆 

eBay is :p about £60.00 fees on that

Edited by Earl
  • Haha 2

@Nigella Bryant  Im booking my trip to the Maldives tonight. lol

Nice one guys @Chaz2b & @Zermelo

I will be interested in what you think when you have them.  When I bought the Stellalyra it was a toss-up between that and the Bresser. Being a noob, I literally only went for the stella because someone said they were good 🙂 

• Like 2

Well first thing, the star finder is mediocre at best, will change that for one of my  Telrads.

The main box only contains the tube and it’s rings, the other bits are in the mount box.

Taking the rings off to get the protective material off and then remounting them showed that there is a gap where the tube fold is, as it’s the first time I’ve used tube rings on a dob, all others being tensioning bolts I don’t know if this is common. Perhaps someone can enlighten me there.

I do like the focuser, nice’n smooth.

Roll on next winter for clear weather!😅

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b

17 minutes ago, Chaz2b said:

Taking the rings off to get the protective material off and then remounting them showed that there is a gap where the tube fold is,

What do you mean by tube fold?

These cheaper dobs are made from rolled sheet metal and joined by folding the ends to each other.

Theres a gap where they meet. Don’t think it’s a real problem but I’ve not had tube rings before on this size dob.

chaz

IMG_7525.jpeg

I thought that was what you meant but just wanted to make sure. As long as it's internally closed and not letting any light ingress into the tube I wouldn't bother about it. Nice scope.

The internal to the tube is well blacked, even on the secondary, plus black screws and bolts and I can’t see any light ingress from the bottom.   Next, fit a cooling fan for that big massive glass! 
oh! And a handle for moving it around, maybe even a lazy Susan. She really needs to wake up that Susan! Lol

Don't like the fittings for the starfinder, much prefer the dovetail type.

The tube is currently standing in my hallway looking like a minuteman silo…just waiting on the codes from NORAD!

chaz

IMG_7521.jpeg

IMG_7527.jpeg

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chaz2b said:

.....Don't like the fittings for the starfinder, much prefer the dovetail type.

It looks like Bresser are still using the old Meade-style finder mount. Those can be swapped out for a Skywatcher compatible foot but you need the type of foot that has slots rather than holes for the fixing screws because the screws on the Bresser mount are further apart than the Skywatcher ones.

Something like this:

StellaLyra Finder Shoe | First Light Optics

• Like 1

Yes, that’s the type I’ve been looking at, but not that exact one, I would prefer the two thumb screw fittings, that are half that price, sorry FLO!

Going to see how to fit the Telrad.

chaz (aka..Mr Spendtoomuch )

IMG_7529.jpeg

IMG_7528.jpeg

Edited by Chaz2b
Added photos
  • Like 2

Telrad now fitted, only had to drill one hole as I used one of the starfinder base holes, then covered the other hole with flocking and some electrical tape to the outside, I’ll replace that when I get some white tape.

chaz

IMG_7530.jpeg

• Like 3