Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Leslie Peltier

Alan White

I was fortunate to get a copy of the Leslie Peltier book Starlight Nights for Christmas. 

IMG_7746.thumb.jpeg.6cccd84c2a66c803dc2c768569a93785.jpeg

I have read it at my normal slow pace each night and then reread it in the day as I nodded off reading, no reflection on the book or author.

What a really nice story, of quite an astronomers life, in his own words.

This has really charmed me and reflects some facets of my own observing journey in many ways.

Not that I was born in the US on a farm and I have discovered no Comets as yet.

The book really shows why he did and I do observe and I am equally sure many of us on here will feel the same.

I sometimes find books very hard work, this was anything but hard work. In fact it was an utter joy to read,

His closing remarks on the high number of satellites and space debris becoming an issue in the late 1960’s made me grin, he was right in his prediction it would get far worse. In the text he talks about one particular satellite as ‘our satellite’ that made me chuckle, if only we could do so now.

I know many others will have been equally moved by this well known book as it’s been talked about before.

Perhaps I need to plant Strawberries or keep Cows near the Observing Pad and Khazi!

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 13

A lovely book to have in your collection Alan. I have a kindle copy and was equally charmed, rather jealous of the amazing dark skies he must have had. Also a nice insight into life back then - I love it when he mentioned that he used to go out into the countryside on his own as a boy, and taught himself to swim in the local creek. Not something that would happen nowadays I think! 

• Like 2

I need to see if I can find a copy.  I have never read it but it is on my reading list.

A friend of mine has a signed copy.  8^)  

I do have a book signed by Sir Patrick Moore and Heather Couper.

• Like 1

It's a favourite read of mine, first time I read it I immediately went back to the start and read ir again, I've not felt like this with any other book. As a young astronomer I owned another of his books Guideposts to the stars, that book grew my curiosity in astronomy and 40 odd years later I still love looking up.

Mark.

• Like 1

Back in the 60s I bought the book  "The Search for Planet X" at the school book fair when I was in the 5th grade.  It covers how Clyde Tombaugh searched for and found Pluto and it made a huge impression on me and helped spur my interest in amateur astronomy.  I missed the opportunity to have Clyde sign it at the Texas Star Party because I forgot to take the book.  )^8  

I did get his autograph but not on the book.  I recently found another copy in a used book store so now have two.

The search for planet X-l960.jpg

Edited by CCD-Freak
  • Like 2

I couldn't find a paper copy, so I got a Kindle copy.  Great book.  Simpler times.  I'm not that far from his hometown and I've thought about driving there sometime just to see the area.  It's probably covered in asphalt and car dealerships now.  😒

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 2

On 09/01/2024 at 21:45, Alan White said:

I was fortunate to get a copy of the Leslie Peltier book Starlight Nights for Christmas. 

IMG_7746.thumb.jpeg.6cccd84c2a66c803dc2c768569a93785.jpeg

I have read it at my normal slow pace each night and then reread it in the day as I nodded off reading, no reflection on the book or author.

What a really nice story, of quite an astronomers life, in his own words.

This has really charmed me and reflects some facets of my own observing journey in many ways.

Not that I was born in the US on a farm and I have discovered no Comets as yet.

The book really shows why he did and I do observe and I am equally sure many of us on here will feel the same.

I sometimes find books very hard work, this was anything but hard work. In fact it was an utter joy to read,

His closing remarks on the high number of satellites and space debris becoming an issue in the late 1960’s made me grin, he was right in his prediction it would get far worse. In the text he talks about one particular satellite as ‘our satellite’ that made me chuckle, if only we could do so now.

I know many others will have been equally moved by this well known book as it’s been talked about before.

Perhaps I need to plant Strawberries or keep Cows near the Observing Pad and Khazi!

Forget the comets, Alan - we’ll have you as a variable star observer! 👍🏻

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Forget the comets, Alan - we’ll have you as a variable star observer! 👍🏻

Jeremy, the main thing variable at the moment is clear skies 🤪

I do ponder variables, but that feels scientific to me…. And as a true Luddite I am torn, but as I am unlikely to discover my own Comet from my light pollution, then perhaps variable may be a sensible option after all.

• Like 2

I truly love Starlight Nights. I first read it back around 1981 and have pretty much read it once a year ever since. The Comet Seeker is my favourite chapter - "a rhapsody in dark mahogany and gleaming brass..." It still makes my heart race when reading that! Leslie to me at least, is the greatest amateur of all time. All I ever wanted was a 6" F8 comet seeker and an observatory in a field in 1920's Ohio. Not much to ask!  I also love how there's no complicated refractor/reflector debate. He was loaned a scope and used it for what it did best, and with awesome results. If only everyone did that, instead of worrying about what their scopes can't do!

This was my Peltier style Comet Seeker, and it did follow many comets, just not mine!

2023-10-0812_03_11.thumb.jpg.ebe4f2af13875d2dbd8a916b3ab1a21f.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 6

Interesting and pleasing that it is not me touched by this fine read and the Astronomer behind the pen and telescope.

I have since looked about and found what I believe was his last book, that looks to have been a deliberate legacy.

IMG_7770.thumb.jpeg.b2ea8d8aca8688319c33ad8912e364da.jpeg

This book is his rarest, @Alan White. Hence arm and leg territory if you ever see one on sale. There is very little astronomy in it. It’s more about life at his final property- the one he describes in Starlight Nights. Lots about wildlife. It’s another beautiful read. Utterly charming.

Which reminds me, I “did” Starlight Nights for O Level. The schoolmaster knew I hated Eng lit (I could have done with @ollypenrice), so he let me choose any book from the library to read and write about. It took me a whole term to read the first 50 pages of The Mayor of Casterbridge, but only a day to read Peltier.

Trouble was I couldn’t find any Brodies Notes covering Starlight Nights 😊

16AA255F-164E-40D7-8DF8-321F041729BA.thumb.jpeg.dddfb7d399c593eb48f42d98361e7659.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...