Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A DIY EQ Platform for a 10" DOB

slippery_sid

HI everyone, I just finished building a platform for my son's Dob. It came out super nice and tracks beautifully. It uses a conical circular segment north bearing and a stepper motor driven by an Arduino. It has a mount for a laser to enable easy polar alignment and a little hand controller for fine-tuning the speed. I have a write-up with all the construction details, including the electronics and software, here. If you are looking to build a platform of your own or just get ideas, please check it out.

image.thumb.jpeg.b02ec2ea517d4f1c757a6b1553bc0ef8.jpeg

Edited by slippery_sid
fix format
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, athornett said:

Wonderful stuff! I made an EQ platform years ago but nowhere near as beautiful or compact as yours. How did you cut the sectors?

Andy

I followed a technique I first saw published by Ed Jones. The piece pivots on a table saw first with the blade beveled and then with a sanding disc on the saw at the same angle. All the details are in my writeup, here.