Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ideas For A Homemade Mount For A 70mm F/10!

refractor2345

So, as the title explains I need a mount for my 70mm F/10 refractor, It has a fork mount (Alt-az) and the tripod head fell with crash to the ground. So, it wobbles a lot and it causes frustration to even point at Jupiter, I don't want to throw It away, It is a nice scope and my first scope, so I need some easy mounts to make. There are some threads (Forums) but I would like to make a custom mount!

Edited by refractor2345

10 hours ago, Johnjtaylor said:

Take a look at a pipe mount.  You can make a reasonable manual equatorial with just malleable iron fittings.

Many years ago, I purchased an American astronomy book and one chapter/section near the end featured an article on building/constructing ‘pipe mounts’.

Another useful ‘everyday’ item that is/maybe useful, is the Jubilee/hose ring if you cannot find suitable diameter tube rings. Below are two images securing the dovetail bar to my ETX105.

A5057402-94DE-4E35-A2DE-D8A6BDEFB67B.thumb.jpeg.2165097e2282e5347993d6249a14bd74.jpegPIC021.JPG.317e3ab5bc2a32848d576782c9caf3ab.JPG.4592fc6f2bbea546ef6fe542e1c067ae.JPG

On 25/11/2021 at 21:38, Johnjtaylor said:

Yes, the good old jubilee clip works well.  I’ve even gone to the extent of flocking the inside of them to avoid scratching the OTA!

Yes! I forgot to mention the use of flocking or felt to prevent scratching of the OTA. 
I did use it on mine. :thumbsup:

I am thinking about drilling a few holes in the Jubilee/hose rings and bolting them directly to the dovetail bar. At the time of writing, I cannot use my ETX105 with my AOK-AYO mount.

The idea is to drill a 1/4" hole in each and use the 1/4" BSW machine screws or drill two 4mm holes in each and attach at each end of the dovetail bar. I have also thought about drilling the ETX105 and securing the dovetail bar directly, minus the Jubilee/hose rings. It will mean a total strip-down and safely storing the primary mirror and meniscus cell in a dust free area whilst carrying out the job and then reassembly.

Edited by Philip R