SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SEESTAR S50 IN STOCK AT FLO - IF YOURE QUICK!

paulastro

I'd put myself in this category.  I admit l just haven't the skill set or patience to climb the steep learning curve or enough clear skies to do visual observing and astrophotography.  Or the money come to think about it - which is why I ordered an S50 myself 🙂.

Just checked and FLO have sold all their stock.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomato said:

Hey, it’s the faff that makes it pleasurable.😉

depends. I spend my day job sorting all the faff with computer systems, I'd really rather not when trying to relax with a hobby so prug & pray suits me just fine esp at night out in the dark 😉 

• Haha 2

The fact that these products are going like hot cakes does say something about the process. The owners still want some faff, even if it is controlled, otherwise they would be spending their hard earned cash on remote imaging data sets.

20 minutes ago, tomato said:

The fact that these products are going like hot cakes does say something about the process. The owners still want some faff, even if it is controlled, otherwise they would be spending their hard earned cash on remote imaging data sets.

Im guessing the majority of these are being given as Christmas presents to newbies, and will be on sale again in February on ABS and Facebook, for 2/3 the new price….😂😂

• Like 1

On 19/12/2023 at 09:35, tomato said:

Hey, it’s the faff that makes it pleasurable.😉

NO! I hate the faff. 🤪i love the sky and the picturus, though. I may be the only astrophotographer in the world who does not like or understand removed word computers, too!

😁lly

• Haha 3

On 19/12/2023 at 05:06, tomato said:

Well, if you are right, I'll pick one up used after Christmas to see what all the fuss is about [...]

I waffle.  I live in bad LP, so a S* could certainly reveal objects (like most galaxies) that I have no hope of seeing from home.  OTOH, while the pics straight from the system look ok, it seems many people post-process their images to get "decent" images.  Do I want to mess with that?  Not sure.

I do need an indoor hobby though to occupy me while I sit under the winter cloud deck here.

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 1

If you want to see more visually on DSO targets, there's little real option, go to a dark site or use a camera, and the camera will outperform visual every time (though most will prefer and remember the visual view, I think it's a biological thing). Visual you see at the time, a camera can be set to see over time, that is the massive distinguishing factor. I have next to no hope seeing DSO targets even closed star clusters at home, put a camera on 10-30s exposure and the bright ones are there clear as day. Although post processing helps a massive deal when doing deep and many hours of exposure for AP you don't necessarily need these skills. What the Seestar does by default is what APers and EAAers have already been enjoying for years, live stacking where it continually takes exposures and stacks the images live so the longer you spend on a target the better it looks to a point, only then will post processing enhance the data. The Seestar also has an in built Hydrogen Alpha and O3 dual band filter as it's "LP" filter, you'll find if you do have even a basic imaging setup by adding a dual band filter you'll reveal emission nebulae rich in these elements also appear in plain sight depending on their magnitude, visual observers have been using similar filters for the same purpose.

Edited by Elp

On 19/12/2023 at 11:06, tomato said:

Well, if you are right, I'll pick one up used after Christmas to see what all the fuss is about, but it will take a while for all of those "May contain clouds" stickers to wear off.

Absolutely right.
Since receiving mine there has been cloud, gales, rain. Or I have been away from home.

Every time there has been a glimpse of an easy target, it has hidden behind cloud within 10 minutes.
I have manged to charge the battery and install the app on a tablet.

Another new owner sent me his first pictures - houses some distance away in daylight!

I understand from another thread on SGL that is possible to do more with these scopes - eventually 🤣

Edited by Carbon Brush
  • Sad 1