Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SEESTAR S50 IN STOCK AT FLO - IF YOURE QUICK!

paulastro

8 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

Absolutely right.
Since receiving mine there has been cloud, gales, rain. Or I have been away from home.

Every time there has been a glimpse of an easy target, it has hidden behind cloud within 10 minutes.
I have manged to charge the battery and install the app on a tablet.

Another new owner sent me his first pictures - houses some distance away in daylight!

I understand from another thread on SGL that is possible to do more with these scopes - eventually 🤣

Carbon Bush, I think you'll find it's the lack of clear night skies that has prevented many of the seventy five S50s FLO sold in one day producing any images.  Its certainly true for the one I bought 😊.

Mind you, there does seem an awful lot of traditional imagers selling their gear.  Perhaps they account for the other seventy four people that bought an S50? 🙂.

Happy Christmas everyone - and clear skies.

Edited by paulastro

18 hours ago, Elp said:

If it were easy I don't think I'd do it, much like any hobby.

I agree but it is not the faffing with electronics, software bugs or hardware that bring the challenges I enjoy. I like planning an image and trying to bring something new to it, if possible, usually via processing.

I've nothing against the s50 and can.remember a time when it would have been a good outreach tool for me. I wonder how good these devices will become? I suspect I'd.rather not know.

😁lly

Edited by ollypenrice
Typo
  • Like 1

There are definitely different categories of AP faff. I certainly don’t enjoy tracing a dodgy USB connection, especially as a precious clear night is slipping by, or trying to find out why my channel stacks suddenly refuse to register, but hunting down rarely imaged targets, then changing scope, filter and camera configurations to suit a particular target is part of the fun, as is finding out just what miraculous feats the latest generation of processing tools can perform on my mediocre data. I see some owners are already tinkering with their Seestars, it’s definitely part of the fun!

I am concerned though, about the future prospects of imaging here in the UK. We joke about the weather but I can see more people being deterred from setting up expensive rigs in this country, it would be a shame if we became a nation of remote imagers.

Merry Christmas and Clear Skies in 2024.

• Like 1

Just wait for the Seestar S70 or whatever it'll be called, full EQ mode, larger optics and maybe even you'll be able to connect your own astro camera to (zwo version of course). ZWO will already have the routemap planned out they'd have to err caution though as such a device will eat into their other equipment sales which they released as the upgrade path for those that want to move up from the current Seestar (is it a coincidence they now supply the full kit, scope, mount, camera and controller).

It's the random faff which irks (like ZWOs asiair app version 2.0 and above, so many random problems...).

I quite enjoy tinkering and trying newly acquired equipment or trying targets with different framings, planning via Telescopius can be reasonable productive use of time.