SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter with GRS at -4C (30/11/23)

Kon

I had a quick session last night on Jupiter while the temperature was down to -4C. Nearly excellent seeing while imaging  that went really bad really quick for som reason but as I had to be up early I stopped. This is a 3x120s derotation. My usual 8" Dob. There is a very interesting feature in the NEB that has a a reddish appearance to it (towards 9 oclock). Thanks to Geof @geoflewis for being second eyes in my processing.

image.png.06da85d163b3d867c9888ad519ba040f.png

• Like 25

9 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Kostas, as discussed that's a really lovely image, smooth, but with lots of detail and excellent colour, well done..

Thanks Geof. Your input is always super valuable.

16 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Lovely capture again Kostas. It was freezing last night wasn't it? I'm thinking about getting another large dobsonian again. I'll never learn.

Thanks Ian. It was brutal especially holding on the metal body of the dob.

It sounds like you are regretting moving the 12". An 8" will also be excellent if you don't want to be moving large one around.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Thats another cracker Kostas! Lovely processing.

Thanks Stuart. We seem to be finally getting some stable seeing. I hope you can be out soon 😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kon said:

Nearly excellent seeing while imaging  that went really bad really quick for som reason but as I had to be up early I stopped.

Hi Kostas, what time did you get good seeing? I looked at the jest stream map and it looked like it should have been good on the 30th but when I went out whilst I could see the GRS, Jupiter was boiling and none of the videos I took could be processed into anything worth sharing. I know I am considerably further North than you but still wondered about timing.

Also I tried with an without 2X barlow so F10 and F20 on my C11 and seeing as I am using a ASI224MC thought F20 would be a better ratio, but whenever I try I get worse results. I assume this is down to having to use a larger ROI which drops my frame rate from 195 to about 113. Do you (or anybody else) have any thoughts on this kind of issue?

Thanks

Ian

16 hours ago, Kon said:

Thanks Stuart. We seem to be finally getting some stable seeing. I hope you can be out soon 😉

Can't face going out in the cold after working in it all day. Feel like I've been on an arctic expedition 😳 Same thing happened last December. 

Did I ever mention last June? 😎

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, IDM said:

Hi Kostas, what time did you get good seeing? I looked at the jest stream map and it looked like it should have been good on the 30th but when I went out whilst I could see the GRS, Jupiter was boiling and none of the videos I took could be processed into anything worth sharing. I know I am considerably further North than you but still wondered about timing.

Also I tried with an without 2X barlow so F10 and F20 on my C11 and seeing as I am using a ASI224MC thought F20 would be a better ratio, but whenever I try I get worse results. I assume this is down to having to use a larger ROI which drops my frame rate from 195 to about 113. Do you (or anybody else) have any thoughts on this kind of issue?

Thanks

Ian

That wad around 2200 but within 20 minutes it went downhill. What time where you out? Local weather is another factor to consider too. I agree Jetstream looked out of the way.

Regarding the capture, I am roughly at 10ms and 100fps with a tight ROI. Histogram of around 85% for the blue channel. The others are a bit lower of course.

Are you tracking or manual? You should be able to have a smaller ROI. Derotation is also helping. My single stack although sharp under good conditions, it is a bit noisy.

I am aiming for a 5x pixel size of the camera. Worth looking at the value for your camera and telescope.

17 hours ago, Kon said:

There is a very interesting feature in the NEB that has a a reddish appearance to it (towards 9 oclock)

I think I saw that a couple of nights ago, visually (200mm classical cassegrain). Mistook it for the GRS until I realised it was in the wrong equatorial band. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roy Foreman said:

Great image, excellent detail and colour. No clear skies for me for a while.

Thanks Roy. I am trying to grab any opportunity I can but it hasn't been good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swoop1 said:

Cracking image Kostas.

Re the NEB feature- are you refering to the 'Little Red Spot' in your image? 

Thanks. If you zoom at the image it looks like a thin red S, towards the 9oclock position.

23 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Can't face going out in the cold after working in it all day. Feel like I've been on an arctic expedition 😳 Same thing happened last December. 

Did I ever mention last June? 😎

I completely understand. The last thing after a frozen day is to be out at night.

June what June? 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Mutley said:

I think I saw that a couple of nights ago, visually (200mm classical cassegrain). Mistook it for the GRS until I realised it was in the wrong equatorial band. 

Impressive that you saw it visually!

20 hours ago, Kon said:

That wad around 2200 but within 20 minutes it went downhill. What time where you out?

I set up early and had a first session around 19.00 and Jupiter was boiling so I left it till about 21.30. At that time I could see the GRS but again none of the captures were at all good after processing. I then packed it in as it was very cold.

i am using a Zwo ASI 224MC so I have 3.75uM pixels so 5x = 18.75 so a 2x Barlow on a C12 is 20 so I guess that’s what I should use. It’s interesting that you are going as slow as 100fps, I have always tried to go as fast  as possible, that is clearly not required as judged by your image quality!! The scope is on a forked alt-az mount and am able to keep planets within a pretty small ROI. 

thanks for your feedback I think I have a lot to learn.

Ian

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

That is an excellent image!

The S, might be the first letter of the Jovians trying to communicate with us.

STAY AWAY!

Thank you very much. It is funny we always try to make features to know things.

5 hours ago, IDM said:

I set up early and had a first session around 19.00 and Jupiter was boiling so I left it till about 21.30. At that time I could see the GRS but again none of the captures were at all good after processing. I then packed it in as it was very cold.

i am using a Zwo ASI 224MC so I have 3.75uM pixels so 5x = 18.75 so a 2x Barlow on a C12 is 20 so I guess that’s what I should use. It’s interesting that you are going as slow as 100fps, I have always tried to go as fast  as possible, that is clearly not required as judged by your image quality!! The scope is on a forked alt-az mount and am able to keep planets within a pretty small ROI. 

thanks for your feedback I think I have a lot to learn.

Ian

I think you are ok with the sampling then. I think fast or slow is a trade between more frames but also more noise. Geof @geoflewisdid an excellent comparison with Mars last year but also some more on Jupiter. My advice is experiment (it is hard under uk skies as consistency is awful). I have recently found that going for a histogram of 90-95% is giving me a lot more details with less noise but the 10ms is also helping. Last year, I was at 5ms with 300fps but i was no close to the details i am getting this year at lower fps but higher exposure. Start at 10ms and see if the seeing supports it, or if it is a good night do a few captures under different settings and see what you get. Feel free to message me if you need more help or discuss anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1