SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter with GRS under a moment of excellent seeing (25/11/23)

Kon

The moon halo seems to have got a lot of attention on Saturday but it was messing with imaging; stable seeing but it was making images soft. When the haze cleared I managed to get an excellent imaging session although it only lasted for 6mins before Jupiter started boiling (most likely the warmer currents were coming). This is a 3x120s image derotation. I have been battling the urge to push it and I keep messing with the colours; thanks @geoflewisGeof  for your feedback on the sharpening and for telling me to stop with the colours and post it. I also managed a 2x120s derotation of IR while the boiling started happening so a bit softer. Geof described my inital attemots as crunchy 🤪. I am very pleased with the final results. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc or 462mm, UV/IR cut or IR pass, 2.5x TV powermate.

2023-11-25-2259_0-Jupiter.png.c5f57e536b647ccc62f62f95609ac9cd.png 2023-11-25-2316_0-Jupiter_ir.png.36152fc7ed7c500f3ab23cb57835d2d3.png

• Like 30

Kostas, as you already know, I think these are excellent images, thanks for sharing them with me off line. The colour image is superb, your colour balance and processing are spot on 👏👏 I think that we were both fortunate to grab the best of what was available that night.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Fantastic images Kostas. I eagerly await a spell of good seeing never mind excellent. Once again it's the colour image that stands out to me.

Thanks Ian. I was out for nearly 2 hrs when the haze parted for that split moment. I have nearly 30 videos but nothing as good as this one. I hope you get your good seeing soon.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Kostas, as you already know, I think these are excellent images, thanks for sharing them with me off line. The colour image is superb, your colour balance and processing are spot on 👏👏 I think that we were both fortunate to grab the best of what was available that night.

Thanks Geof, I really appreciate this coming from you. And always great with the offline chat.

• Like 1

That looks like a clear PB Kostas! Outstanding! That gorgeous mother of pearl glow that Jupiter produces in good seeing and great processing.

Thank goodness you and Geof are hitting the target else the rest of us would probably pack it in lol 

Inspirational! 👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

That looks like a clear PB Kostas! Outstanding! That gorgeous mother of pearl glow that Jupiter produces in good seeing and great processing.

Thank goodness you and Geof are hitting the target else the rest of us would probably pack it in lol 

Inspirational! 👏

Thanks Stuart. That's very kind thing to say. I agree it's probably my best one to date.

While I was processing I remembered one of your comments that Jupiter is a gas giant and it doesn't have defined sharp edges and Geof made a similar one as well. You are both inspirational and good eyes for processing.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Roy Foreman said:

Excellent images. Raises the bar for fledgling planetary imagers like me to aim for !

Thanks Roy. A lot of good advice here at SGL. I only started 2 years ago; a lot of good tips and feedback.

33 minutes ago, Stu said:

Really fabulous Kostas! They have a natural look to them which I like; not over processed, just right 👍

Thanks Stu. When the data are nice, they make processing a lot easier and can hold back on the sharpening as the detaisl are already there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kon said:

Thanks Stu. When the data are nice, they make processing a lot easier and can hold back on the sharpening as the detaisl are already there.

I think this can be the hardest part. We see good details already there before we start processing, so want to squeeze out every drop and end up overdoing it - it happens to me a lot. As already said, you processed this very well.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Beautiful images! Believe me, I understand the desire to push it as far as you can ;) Excellent balance of elements!

Reggie

Thanks Reggie. I hope we can get a few more nights like this. I am glad I go the nice seeing with the GRS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yelsac said:

That simply is a beautiful image 👍

I had a quick go the same night through the lovely mist but I never got the smooth detail you did. Well done

Thanks. My earlier captures through the most where a lot softer despite the stable seeing. I only got the three captures through a gap in the mist. Looking forward to seeing your images.