The Crab Galaxy - NGC5033

johnh

SPX350, EQ6, ATK-16HR.

This overlooked galaxy in Canes V below star Cor Caroli is a big bright galaxy with extensive and faint spiral arms and almost 11' in width and does resemble a crab. This galaxy shows detail to the core and has some Ha in it but don't know why it is ignored by imagers apart from the constellations brighter M galaxies stealing the show?

My Coma Corrector was not at right spacing so some stars at the lower part of image are egg shaped - Damn!

L/HaRGB (all 3min subs), 108/30.12.12.12mins HaRGB binned 2x2.

Thanks for looking, JohnH.

don't know why it is ignored by imagers apart from the constellations brighter M galaxies stealing the show?

I think there's two reasons why it isn't so popular. 1) It's not particularly well known in a part of the sky densely populated by bigger and brighter galaxies and 2) and at approx mag.11, you'd need some fairly serious exposure time and good skies to get real good image of it. I had a crack at it last year and didn't get very far so it's on my 'to do' list! Thats a damm good go at it John, 'tis nice :).

Tony..

Good image of an interesting galaxy John....it's just gone on my list too!It would be easy to just concentrate on U.Major/C.Venatici for a whole year...there's just so much interesting stuff there.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks guys for the positive reaction as my seeing is always bad but the good thing about a bigger newt is shorter exposures. Although quite dim the central area of galaxy is bright (reminds me of 7331) and it will image well in a wider field. I really did skimp on colour 12mins for each channel but it was just enough, if only I had good seeing (or adaptive optics) instead of dancing stars. Thanks John.

Archived