NGC 7023 Iris Nebula - SGL4 25/04/09 FLT98 first light

Whippy

What a weekend! Great site, great people and the cherry on the top was a nice clear Saturday night. Conditions on the Saturday started off well and slowly got better as the night wore on :). I took delivery of my shiny new FLT98 from the guys at FLO on Thursday and after wiping the drool off of it, I managed to hook it all up to grab this image. Have to say this is a glorious scope, a definate step up from my old Zentihstar 110 which wasn't exactly a slouch but I'm well chuffed with both the scope and this image especially for a first light. I think me and the new arrival are going to have a long and happy relationship :). I really like this in mono and if I was thinking of adding some RGB I'm going to have to wait until it rises out the murk from my back garden, perhaps I could do it at Kelling in September!

Anyhoo, NGC 7023 the Iris Nebula. Total exposure time 2hrs 55 mins (35x5 mins), Taken with an Atik 16hr with an IR cut filter in the nosepiece, through a WO FLT98. Guided by a ZS66, QHY5 and PHD all atop an EQ6 pro. Stacked in DSS and processed in photoshop.

Enjoy. I'm off to bedzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Tony..

post-13439-133877368617_thumb.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all for the kind words :). As Tim mentioned, once those subs started to roll in, I knew this going to be half decent and in keeping with the general great atmosphere on Saturday night at SGL4, I'm sure no-one would have complained at the sky, I know I didn't!

And as for Spurs Ron and Jamie, I may have been a little hasty in celebrating but that was never a penalty in a million years! Once that went in, they just laid into us :). Mind you, we seem to have a streak of bad luck at Old Trafford these days, the 'goal that wasn't' by Pedro Mendes for example....

Tony..

Well sort of RGB anyway. I managed to grab the Red and Blue on Wednesday and I made a synthetic Green channel through Noels' Actions. I've been playing with the colour balance over the last couple of days and this is probably the best compromise. Looking at other images of this uncovers a fair bit of difference in colours! I'll get the green data at some point and see if it makes any difference.

Anyways, there's 1hr 15mins of Blue (25 x 3 mins) and 1hr of Blue (20 x 3).

Tony..

post-13439-133877369971_thumb.jpg

Archived