Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Devon

nickp87

Thought I better introduce myself.

I've always been fascinated with the stars and the cosmos in general, not just the beauty of it all but the scales and sizes always leave me in awe whenever I think about them. 

Just starting out in the hobby, currently visual only using an 8" newt on a dobsonian base, but I am collecting bits for an EAA setup, this will be a great benefit to my daughter who also loves the stars but struggles with looking through an eyepiece ( she's 5 and tiny :) )

Anyway enough waffling

Clear skies

Nick

• Like 4

Hello nickp87 and welcome to the site. Looks like we both started the same way, my first "proper" telescope was the 200P dob, then the phone mount on the eyepiece, then....

All the best 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, M40 said:

Hello nickp87 and welcome to the site. Looks like we both started the same way, my first "proper" telescope was the 200P dob, then the phone mount on the eyepiece, then....

All the best 

Haha yes it's a very slippery and expensive slope. It doesn't help that I like buying things and have no patience, but I didn't quite realise how crazy expensive some of this stuff can get.

Thanks for the welcome all, this forum seems nice and chilled compared to some other I've been on. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nickp87 said:

Haha yes it's a very slippery and expensive slope. It doesn't help that I like buying things and have no patience, but I didn't quite realise how crazy expensive some of this stuff can get.

Thanks for the welcome all, this forum seems nice and chilled compared to some other I've been on. 

LOL sorry for coming in here, but I just laughed when you two were talking about the "slippery slope" and "crazy expensive" this hobby can get! It really can get silly expensive! LOL. And no matter how expensive your latest gear was, you're always eyeing up the next big purchase! ( or should that be "Big Boys Toy!? LOL )

I must say though, it's so rewarding when you get new gear outside and get your first, second, third etc light and start seeing improvements in your images! 

On the first proper 'scope one, mine was a belter little 114mm aperture Newtonian Reflector (Skywatcher 114/500), and I'll never forget the first time I saw Jupiter through it! Incredible! And I haven't looked back since!

Wes.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

LOL sorry for coming in here, but I just laughed when you two were talking about the "slippery slope" and "crazy expensive" this hobby can get! It really can get silly expensive! LOL. And no matter how expensive your latest gear was, you're always eyeing up the next big purchase! ( or should that be "Big Boys Toy!? LOL )

I must say though, it's so rewarding when you get new gear outside and get your first, second, third etc light and start seeing improvements in your images! 

On the first proper 'scope one, mine was a belter little 114mm aperture Newtonian Reflector (Skywatcher 114/500), and I'll never forget the first time I saw Jupiter through it! Incredible! And I haven't looked back since!

Wes.

Oh it's most definitely worth.

Jupiter does take some beating, when I first finally found it my jaw just dropped, it's just blew my mind that I was looking at it :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...