Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Holding My Horses

pbyrne

Hi all

Lately I have been considering the purchase of some new equipment, better eyepieces, deep sky filters, etc.  I have been scouring the various websites looking at what takes my fancy and I was on the verge of putting in an order when I stopped myself.  I thought about the year that has gone by and thanks to the weather, it has been terrible, I estimate that I have been out observing between six and ten times.  I live in a light polluted area, weeks have gone by without a clear sky and some of those nights have resulted in skies that have poor seeing and awful transparency.  I have been to a dark sky site three times, and even some of those nights had been sub par.

It is the notion of spending hundreds of Euro on new gear and have it sitting in a case unused that is holding me back.

Am I the only one experiencing these doubts?

• Like 3

I know how you feel. A few years ago, after I had just bought my Meade ETX and was living in East London, I went for a whole year with only four nights I was free for observing and it wasn't cloudy. Just stick with it. Clear nights will happen. 

• Like 2

It is tough right now, tonight the weather is as bad as it's been for ages and who knows when we will get a decent night again?  The conditions will improve and a pair of binoculars will not break the bank but will keep that contact with the night sky until you can best decide what to do. I've decided I have enough stuff so no new purchases here and will wait to use it some night soon.

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 3

Nothing wrong with waiting.  Prices will go up and some items will be discontinued, but there will be new, possibly better, gear coming onto the market.

I'm actually considering downsizing a bit, although that's not directly related to my weather.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with your thoughts and decisions. I started observing thinking everyone is in it for the same reason, to look at the night sky. 
I realised after some time that some astronomers never look at the night sky. 
some astronomers have the complete opposite reaction to yours and the cloudier it gets the more they spend on kit to compensate. 
I really do think that some of us are not astronomers at all, we just love owning beautifully crafted telescopes.

Do what feels right for you. My own personal experience is that I was never hungrier for any opportunity to observe no matter how extreme when I had just one small scope and a box of cheap plossls.

Marvin.

• Like 1

Yet conversely, it is ironic that if fortune had it that you did get a good night out observing, all of those notions just melt away and you get to thinking hmm maybe I'd like to include this or that - for next time.  However it has been rather grim and uninspiring a lot of the time. It is definitely a pursuit that requires a mindset that this is for the long game, or to put it another way, occasional, by which having other hobbies and interests on an equal footing is necessary for your free / leisure time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

Yet conversely, it is ironic that if fortune had it that you did get a good night out observing, all of those notions just melt away and you get to thinking hmm maybe I'd like to include this or that - for next time.  However it has been rather grim and uninspiring a lot of the time. It is definitely a pursuit that requires a mindset that this is for the long game, or to put it another way, occasional, by which having other hobbies and interests on an equal footing is necessary for your free / leisure time. 

Couldn’t agree more. That whole position of should I shouldn’t I, is it even worth it punctuated by magical moments of triumph seem to be the tiny area of overlap that holds the incredible moment we are looking for.

Marv

• Like 2