Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starfield Gear60 f/5 Petzval APO

FLO

On 28/09/2023 at 17:23, Richard_ said:

@FLO are the tilt adapter screws accessible while a camera is mounted? Looking at the photos, the adapter looks like it's partially covering the screws but you may still be able to squeeze the short end of a hex key in there. 

If using one of the smaller cameras, then yes. But if the camera diameter is large, then the camera would need to be removed to enable adjustment. A ball-head Allen key works well in these situations. 

On 29/09/2023 at 15:09, adyj1 said:

Apologies if this is obvious, but what does it mean by "capability to connect a motor focus"?  Is there something special that allows easier fitting of a motor focus?

What sets this apart from other focusers in this regard?

On 02/10/2023 at 00:18, adyj1 said:

Answering my own question, the Starfield Optics website page for this scope says "The Optional focusing motor can easily be disengaged to allow for manual focusing with a simple twist", and shows their Oasis Focuser that FLO sell (£298). 

Apologies for not replying sooner, I have been on holiday. 

As you say, the Astroasis Oasis is recommended. I will look into which of their many adapters enables this. 

Steve 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FLO said:

As you say, the Astroasis Oasis is recommended. I will look into which of their many adapters enables this. 

Alex (my colleague with a Starfield Gear60) says you don't need a separate installation kit. The Astroasis Oasis Electronic Focuser includes the necessary 33mm ring/clamp. 

However, we have noticed sometimes the Oasis is packed with a 30mm ring/clamp, not 33mm. We have emailed Astroasis. Meanwhile, to be sure, if you are buying an Astroasis EF for use with a Starfield Gear60, please email us. We will then check it has the necessary 33mm ring/clamp before we dispatch. 

HTH, 

Steve 

On 28/09/2023 at 17:23, Richard_ said:

@FLO are the tilt adapter screws accessible while a camera is mounted? Looking at the photos, the adapter looks like it's partially covering the screws but you may still be able to squeeze the short end of a hex key in there. 

One for you, too 🙂 

tilt-adjuster-1.jpg.b7b82ffcd6e9d0287d08baccdeef737c.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 20/09/2023 at 17:22, FLO said:

There is a lot to like about the new Starfield Gear60 f/5 Petzval APO telescope. 

• Fully multicoated Petzval optics (includes ED glass). 

image.thumb.png.59edda46661b90fb630c23743c88af55.png

Steve,

You quote ED optics both here and on the FLO site descriptions, this to me normally means FPL-51 equiverlent, yet on starfeilds own site its calling them FPL53.

https://starfieldoptics.com/gear60-quad

If it is FPL-53 this is something that deserves a mention and should be on the description as its an expensive freature not to mention.

Adam

Edited by Adam J

37 minutes ago, Adam J said:

You quote ED optics both here and on the FLO site descriptions, this to me normally means FPL-51 equiverlent, yet on starfeilds own site its calling them FPL53.

https://starfieldoptics.com/gear60-quad

If it is FPL-53 this is something that deserves a mention and should be on the description as its an expensive freature not to mention.

I see what you mean. I wrote our description before seeing Starfield's. I'll add the FPL53 specification tomorrow. 

HTH

I do note that Lukomatico has a review on YT that is very positive, though he admits that he can only afford an APS-C camera. He also says FPL 53.

Edited by DaveS
Can't type capitals,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Steve,

Can you tell me what the specifications are of the exposed thread at the front element?  I was wondering whether it might be possible to fit a Coronado 40mm etalon to produce a light weight, compact dual purpose OTA.

Thanks

Peter

16 hours ago, pmlogg said:

Steve,

Can you tell me what the specifications are of the exposed thread at the front element?  I was wondering whether it might be possible to fit a Coronado 40mm etalon to produce a light weight, compact dual purpose OTA.

Thanks

Peter

you are probably best off emailing FLO directly via their web page. 

Lovely looking scope and great spec, but how ridiculous to have to remove the camera to adjust for tilt, I really don’t understand why manufactures do this, it makes having the built tilt adjuster a waste of time..as removing and re fitting the camera would just introduce more tilt…why not have a design the the Gerd Neumann CTU with adjuster screws around the outer edge…

Almost as bad as QHY 268m camera with tilt adjuster built into the front of there mono cameras, then you add there filter wheel which bolts to the front of the camera and completely covers the tilt adjuster…🤯