Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starfield Gear60 f/5 Petzval APO

FLO

There is a lot to like about the new Starfield Gear60 f/5 Petzval APO telescope. 

• Compact. 
  • Easy to use. 
  • Fully multicoated Petzval optics (includes ED glass). 
  • An imaging circle that covers a full-frame sensor! 
  • F/5 focal ratio. 
  • 2.5" dual-speed R&P focuser. 
  • Accepts a focus motor. 
  • Integrated tilter mechanism. 
  • Integrated 360° rotator. 
  • Integrated filter holder for 2" filters. 
  • Integrated handle for accessories. 
  • Useful long dovetail plate. 
  • Includes a soft carry case with room for a focus motor and imaging camera. 

And it costs under £1k 🙂 

starfield_60mm_f5_apo_sgl_1.jpg.dc056420c53d4ffcda57b55383a08a38.jpg
starfield_60mm_f5_apo_sgl_2.jpg.9fd54bd99ccd4ad4c718f7446f426f98.jpg

• Like 5

I reached out to Starfield and received an email back from Steve Mallia. I doubt that he would object to me passing part of the reply on.

There is a review that is coming out very soon in Astronomy Magazine.   A couple on internet personalities have been using the scope as well. 

Here is an image from Gary Palmer  https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10227294425780860 

Shawn Nielson has the scope as well and has been posting images with it.  https://twitter.com/VisibleDark_/status/1694843996504244414 

Ashley from AstroBackyard has one as well - https://www.instagram.com/p/CwQsaz3JKOI/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I personally moved in a different direction so have no experience with this item.

Regards

Len

On 21/09/2023 at 15:19, Backyardscope said:

Does the dew shield extend and lock?

Welcome to SGL 🙂 

18 hours ago, Richard_ said:

According to the manufacturers images it can move outwards, but it may be held in place by friction as there's no screw visible. 

Richard is right - the dew shield is extendable and is held in place by friction. This is normal for compact telescopes.

A locking screw is more common on larger telescopes with heavier dew shields. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FLO said:

Welcome to SGL 🙂 

Richard is right - the dew shield is extendable and is held in place by friction. This is normal for compact telescopes.

A locking screw is more common on larger telescopes with heavier dew shields. 

HTH, 

Steve 

I only asked as my 62ED has two locking screws on the dew shield, it looks quite a reasonable scope especially for the price for a Petzval at f5.

Thanks Steve.

Backyardscope aka Skyline.

4 hours ago, bosun21 said:

My Starfield 102 has a friction dew shield which is extremely secure in place. There’s absolutely zero chance of it slipping down the tube and actually requires a considerable push to get it moving.

Took the words out of my mouth. It’s surprising just how well friction holds it in place, it won’t budge and it does take effort to move it.

If this scope is of the same quality as the 102ED, then there will be some lucky owners out there.

Wonder if it comes with the finder shoe shown, I had to buy a WO one separately for the 102.

• Like 1

On 25/09/2023 at 21:12, Ouroboros said:

How does the filter holder work? I can’t find any pictures or videos of that. That’s mounted filters presumably? 

I'll ask a colleague in our workshop to make a quick video.

It accepts regular 2" astronomy mounted filters. 

Steve 

• Like 1

Oh, @FLO … and something I should have asked earlier …. how is an ASIair best attached to the handle? It looks like direct connection is not possible unless the slots in the handle happen to be separated by 20mm - the distance between the threaded holes on the underside of the ASIair. 

16 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Oh, @FLO … and something I should have asked earlier …. how is an ASIair best attached to the handle? It looks like direct connection is not possible unless the slots in the handle happen to be separated by 20mm - the distance between the threaded holes on the underside of the ASIair. 

One of my colleagues is receiving his Gear60 today. He also uses an Asiair, so I'll ask him. 

2 hours ago, FLO said:

One of my colleagues is receiving his Gear60 today. He also uses an Asiair, so I'll ask him. 

Alex says: 

"Ok, so three holes on the handle of the Gear 60 - middle/centre is 1/4", other two are M6, the whole handle takes a Vixen clamp/saddle and has an Arca Swiss 38mm rail on the top. 

Slots on the handle are 18mm spaced, 5.7mm diameter, and will take M6 but not 1/4.

Between the bottom of the tube holder/cradle and the Vixen dovetail is an Arca Swiss dovetail with 8x threads, 15mm spaced. Most seem to be M6, but at least one is 1/4". 

He also messaged me some photos: 

mounting_asiair_gear60_3.jpg.acc6aef407b5f7976d0b931ba06f84a2.jpgmounting_asiair_gear60_4.jpg.1b0d6d0279f4835bb6ea359213af315c.jpgmounting_asiair_gear60_5.jpg.7e90874d5a6d281f86d3a9ad0401583c.jpgmounting_asiair_gear60_2.jpg.16477a63a220262a2440ea4a09624e5d.jpgmounting_asiair_gear60_1.jpg.347e7531f11adac59bcb2e0264298c49.jpg

• Like 3

Regarding mounting the asiair looks like the scope has another set of screws inset into the ota tube which can be removed to mount another finder bracket. Why they're supplied with one especially for an imaging scope is anyone's guess as it's difficult getting an east west balance especially with a smooth declination axis with only the one, they are also cheap so should really be supplied. Better to have two to mount the asiair in one, with a mini guidescope in the other, or centrally mount everything. The asiair doesn't weigh too much so you can normally get away with it mounting it off centre east or west heavy.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

On 22/09/2023 at 17:33, iantaylor2uk said:

It's good to have competition in this space. Looks like a direct competitor to Askar''s FRA 300 f/5 scope, which I've been very pleased with.

I would guess it's a clone. Identical optics with some different focuser and dew shield mechanics so optics probably made by sharp star. 

Edited by Adam J

Apologies if this is obvious, but what does it mean by "capability to connect a motor focus"?  Is there something special that allows easier fitting of a motor focus?

What sets this apart from other focusers in this regard?

Thanks

Ady

On 29/09/2023 at 15:09, adyj1 said:

Apologies if this is obvious, but what does it mean by "capability to connect a motor focus"?  Is there something special that allows easier fitting of a motor focus?

What sets this apart from other focusers in this regard?

Thanks

Ady

Answering my own question, the Starfield Optics website page for this scope says "The Optional focusing motor can easily be disengaged to allow for manual focusing with a simple twist", and shows their Oasis Focuser that FLO sell (£298). 

Edited by adyj1
typo