Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Big Apple - M27

peter shah

The Big Apple - M27

M27, The Dumbbell also known as The Apple Core Nebula Imaged remotely from Spain with the 16in ODK and asi2600mm pro
Exposure times were 420x 180s in Ha and 160x 180s in OIII, 180x 60 in Red 140x 60s 120x Blue, just over 36hrs total, Processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop.

You can click the link or the image to see full res https://www.astrobin.com/full/m1g53a/0/?mod=&real=

Thanks for looking
Peter Shah

M27 4.2.jpg

Edited by peter shah
  • Like 41

12 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Wow...  amazing!

Dave

Thanks Dave

8 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I think I knew what to expect when I opened the thread! M27 has, I think, been put to bed for at least a decade...  Beautiful.

No green?

Olly

Thank you Olly....It's always a difficult choice between going green or blue with M27. My very first attempt back in the OSC MX5 days gave me a blue tone which I think I prefer. Plus the subtle purples generated by the mixing of  blues and reds I feel give it a nicer tone than with the Green and reds which tend to go brown.

7 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Just viewed it on Astrobin at full resolution and it is just amazing....  so deep in the wings and a 3D effect in the core...  I'd suggest you add the link here 

Dave

Thanks you Dave...I have added a link to the full res...but if you click on the image it will take you to the full res version anyway

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Elp said:

Pretty stunning. As things are going atm weather wise I'd be imaging it all year trying to get the same amount of time on it.

We've not had the summer weather I was hoping for.... lets hope we get some clear spells the rest of the year

That is absolutely stunning! M27 is one of my favourite targets, whether imaging or observing with telescope or even just binoculars. Haven't had a chance to get more data on this target this summer, alas, the weather has been that bad. Your image really shows there is a lot more detail to be got outside the "apple core" part than I have manage to capture so far.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

Another wow from me!

Thank you

14 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

That is absolutely stunning! M27 is one of my favourite targets, whether imaging or observing with telescope or even just binoculars. Haven't had a chance to get more data on this target this summer, alas, the weather has been that bad. Your image really shows there is a lot more detail to be got outside the "apple core" part than I have manage to capture so far.

Thank you, lets hope we get some better weather here. I am in the process of doing it in a much wider field, this FOV  hints to some deeper elements to the Ha extending out of the frame and I'd like to see if its there

18 minutes ago, peter shah said:

Thank you, lets hope we get some better weather here. I am in the process of doing it in a much wider field, this FOV  hints to some deeper elements to the Ha extending out of the frame and I'd like to see if its there

I am more-or-less forced to use a wider field as I am using the little 6" Schmidt-Newton. It really needs a darker sky than I have to get the faint stuff

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Incredible image - clearly Spain and it's dark site is better than the UK.

Thank you Mark... you are not wrong there are definitely more clearer nights in Spain than I get in Mid Wales, not to mention Spain gets astro darkness in the summer, but in reality my skies at home  are just as good if less frequent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xsubmariner said:

Superb image Peter. Your excellent control of the different bubble layers makes the boundaries stand out, delivering much finer detail to the overall structure. Just amazing.

Thank you...I found that to be the challenge getting the seamless blend and not loosing that core detail

1 hour ago, lawsio said:

Unbelievable photo, love it. 💗

I just googled ODK16 and cried at the price, will stick to looking at other people's photos I think 🤣

Thank you It is a lovely scope

9 hours ago, peter shah said:

Thank you Mark... you are not wrong there are definitely more clearer nights in Spain than I get in Mid Wales, not to mention Spain gets astro darkness in the summer, but in reality my skies at home  are just as good if less frequent.

That is my experience too in La Palma - which is technically Spain but geographically North Africa.

I get more clear nights (not the last three though and likely not tonight judging by the clouds building up) but much more Saharan dust which really fouls up contrast and reduces minimum magnitude. England, being so much wetter, generally has nights which are much more transparent because all the rain washes the crud out of the atmosphere. It just has fewer clear nights (as distinct from transparent nights) than La Palma.

This last couple of months we've also had a lot of smoke from wildfires, first in La Palma and now from Tenerife which is over 100km away from here but the air still smells of smoke.

My take: everyone always complains about something. It is human nature. Offer them free beer and they complain because neither wine nor cider is on offer.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2023 at 19:11, Xilman said:

That is my experience too in La Palma - which is technically Spain but geographically North Africa.

I get more clear nights (not the last three though and likely not tonight judging by the clouds building up) but much more Saharan dust which really fouls up contrast and reduces minimum magnitude. England, being so much wetter, generally has nights which are much more transparent because all the rain washes the crud out of the atmosphere. It just has fewer clear nights (as distinct from transparent nights) than La Palma.

This last couple of months we've also had a lot of smoke from wildfires, first in La Palma and now from Tenerife which is over 100km away from here but the air still smells of smoke.

My take: everyone always complains about something. It is human nature. Offer them free beer and they complain because neither wine nor cider is on offer.

Yes La Palma has had its fair share of smoke and haze in recent years

On 29/08/2023 at 19:19, Astronomist said:

Probably the best M27 image I've ever seen. 👍

Thank you....I am so pleased with it

7 hours ago, MartinB said:

Magnificent Peter.  You can gather all the signal in the world but without superb processing it can be wasted.  You have got this one peachy perfect! Peter.

Cheers Martin.....It was definitely a challenge to process, particularly getting the right balance through its vast dynamic range.. so bright in the core then just drops off.