NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Motorizing my 16'' GSO Dobsonian 

FrankRyanJr

After 4 years manually operating my GSO 16'' (Also branded as StellaLyra / Zhumell Z series)
I finally decided to try and add some motors for tracking. I built an EQ platform and it works well but it's big and cumbersome for travelling to my observing site.

I came across these guys 'Romer Optics' and they had a 'push to' kit for around 100 bucks. This goto system looked the business and it worked with my GSO (also works on Aperura AD8" ~ AD16" and Orion SkyLine Dobs), so I ordered it. It worked great!  BTW the kit doesn't work on 'Obsession' type scopes or scopes with spring tensioners.
To counter any white light from my phone/tablet I use a reusable red film, cut to size like a screen protector that makes everything red on screen. 

Romer then announced a few years ago they were working on a 'GOTO' version so I kept an eye on the development of that. 
When they were ready to ship the parts I ordered one of the first kits. Between work/family/life I didn't get around to installing it until this summer. 
At this point they had added a few upgrades like dual speeds and some other power parts that Eric (the main guy at Romer) sent free of charge when I enquired about them!

I've little to none electronics / robotics knowledge but Eric was super helpful via Messenger chat with any questions I had. 

A word of warning. It's very much a DIY 'hands on' affair! 

I recorded the build as I did it and put together an 'instructional'/'review' type video of the project. It may be help anyone that is considering options for motorizing their Dob.
I've been using it a few weeks now and very happy with the tracking and the goto with it. There are a lot of improvements that can be made especially with the App but Eric seems very eager for feedback and I've no doubt,
they will keep improving it. 

Clear skies! 
Frank

Edited by FrankRyanJr
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

That looks really smart!

The price for the easy push to seems nuts though, only 99?  I must be reading that wrong...

I'll need to price that up.  Was going to build an equatorial mount, but this looks interesting.

Frank, how did you work out all the bits you needed, etc?

I’ve been on their website to try and price up everything I’d need, but it looks a right mess.

did you buy the basic Goto kit and this came with all the instructions of what else is required, and how to wire it all up?

Or is there a page on their site somewhere that I’ve missed, which explains it all clearly?

thanks.

Ok. I emailed Romer with a similar question, and just had a reply from Eric.

they no longer sell the kits in pieces, where you have to buy certain parts to finish.

They will in future be sold as complete systems.

But they will not post to UK, due to future service problems, so not much use anyway.

This may be of interest, https://astro-gadget.net/gadgets/control-of-telescopes/dobsondream8

I have used these (minus the attachment hardware) on my 'drive to' motorised binochair (q.v.) and can fully commend them. Service and delivery was good, communications and advice was superb. Aleksander has moved the company to the west of Ukraine and seems to be operating as normal. 

On 07/09/2023 at 09:27, keith5700 said:

Ok. I emailed Romer with a similar question, and just had a reply from Eric.

they no longer sell the kits in pieces, where you have to buy certain parts to finish.

They will in future be sold as complete systems.

But they will not post to UK, due to future service problems, so not much use anyway.

Oh no. Sorry to hear that. 

On 07/09/2023 at 09:48, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

This may be of interest, https://astro-gadget.net/gadgets/control-of-telescopes/dobsondream8

I have used these (minus the attachment hardware) on my 'drive to' motorised binochair (q.v.) and can fully commend them. Service and delivery was good, communications and advice was superb. Aleksander has moved the company to the west of Ukraine and seems to be operating as normal. 

Looks like a great option for Orion scopes.

On 07/09/2023 at 09:48, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

Thanks. I contacted them earlier in the week, but no reply yet.