NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter under excellent seeing (10/8/23)

Kon

The weather did not disappoint this morning. Atmosphere was super stable, reminiscent of the early June day captures I was doing with Venus. This is probably my best Jupiter since I started the hobby. Jupiter is showing some really nice details. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc, UV/IR cut, 2.5x TV powermate. 7x180s derotation.

edit: as per @morimartyMartyn's suggestion the single stack next to the derotated for comparison.

jupiter-nice.png.b7323c7cfe0e525f190e1f181e7819f1.png image.png.1a8f8f1a5a00215b7da1fcfce64a0326.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 21

You have captured some Fantastic detail in this image Kostas. I would say it is the best jupiter you have done so far which I have seen. Interestingly the single stack looks excellent too. Just wondering if you could resize it and do a side by side comparison?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Lots of detail there Kostas especially across the polar regions!

Thanks Stuart. The conditions were really good. I only stopped capturing as it was getting quite bright and I knew colour balance will be really off. Let's hope for more clear skies.

Edited by Kon

4 hours ago, morimarty said:

You have captured some Fantastic detail in this image Kostas. I would say it is the best jupiter you have done so far which I have seen. Interestingly the single stack looks excellent too. Just wondering if you could resize it and do a side by side comparison?

Thanks Martyn. I agree that the single shots had quite a bit of details. I feel I may have pushed the first image a bit, but I am sure there will be enough cloudy nights for going back to it. I resized the single stack for comparison, and I added at the top of the post.

56 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Very nice Kon, I agree the 1st image is pushed a bit to much. But that is part of the processing experimentation, it can always be done again.

I agree. I think I got over jealous with my sharpening, but Stuart was very helpful to guide me to a more natural processing. Like you said, part of the fun.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Maurizio83 said:

Excellent image, it seems impossible that you use a manual dobsonian!

Thanks Maurizio. It is not as difficult as it sounds it just takes a bit longer and a lot of patience 😅.