Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally a Jupiter! (6/8/23)

Kon

It has been a long wait to get any imaging going. Despite the overhead jestream seeing was good. Captured at 415am. 8" Dob, manual, asi 462mc, 2.5x TV powermate, UV/IR cut filter. I managed a colour image and derotated 3x180s captures. Ganymede is showing some details as well. I feel rusty with processing but always happy for feedback.

2023-08-06-0401_7.png.ee7eb55f48bff7dd06897997c234a32b.png  

Io coming from behind Jupiter and a little animation from my 4 captures.

Jupiter_051626_pipp_lapl6_ap129.png.50157c7a9b4559b8ab7abc3353280562.png  

Jupiter_045501_pipp_lapl6_ap125_pipp.gif.93587531e6c90f93195a17c7495014c1.gif

Edited by Kon
  • Like 26

29 minutes ago, Albir phil said:

That's a great image Ganymead give some scale 🌠👏

Thanks. Yes it is putting the whole system in perspective. I have a a couple of more captures to go through that show Up coming from behind.

12 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Another fantastic capture of the Jovian giant Kostas. You give me inspiration for sure.

Thanks. It might be ok tonight/this week. looking forward if you do get some imaging going.

31 minutes ago, josefk said:

really super - love the size colour and proximity of the moon(s) in those shots.

Thanks. I am happy to have got some decent images to play with. Fingers crossed to more good seeing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Lots of detail on those Kostas! Weather looks better this coming week (it couldn't get any worse!).

What alt were you at with these? I've got Jup approaching 50 degrees at daybreak by the looks of it?

I was surprised 'how well' it came out. I was imaging between 345-445 but it was getting quite light. The best sequence was between 4-415  so around 40degrees. I might have another go before work tomorrow morning.

I also played with Wavesharp, it brought out more details, I think. What do you think?

wavesharp.png.93430ed50bd8690d6e658d7c565795b1.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Good to see you getting some Jupiter images Kostas. And nice results. Its been so long since i tried, i am in for shock elevation wise. 

Thanks Neil.  The high elevation is definitely helping. Saturn was a mess this morning, I deleted all the captures (even the IR was boiling like crazy).

I keep messing around with the post processing as I am not 100% satisfied; I need to get that feeling again, it has been a while.

Looking forward what your 12" can deliver.

1 hour ago, Kon said:

I was surprised 'how well' it came out. I was imaging between 345-445 but it was getting quite light. The best sequence was between 4-415  so around 40degrees. I might have another go before work tomorrow morning.

I also played with Wavesharp, it brought out more details, I think. What do you think?

wavesharp.png.93430ed50bd8690d6e658d7c565795b1.png

You can certainly see the effect of the extra elevation even at this early stage.

I've not had much success with wavesharp to date as I find the results a bit harsh and not as natural looking as registax. It seems to remove that outer skin of the gas planet so to speak and takes away the colour vibrance.

8 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

You can certainly see the effect of the extra elevation even at this early stage.

I've not had much success with wavesharp to date as I find the results a bit harsh and not as natural looking as registax. It seems to remove that outer skin of the gas planet so to speak and takes away the colour vibrance.

It seems to have been better with the derotated image but likewise I prefer registax in most cases. It seems to have less control. Worth experimenting until the good captures come.

1 hour ago, Kon said:

It seems to have been better with the derotated image but likewise I prefer registax in most cases. It seems to have less control. Worth experimenting until the good captures come.

Absolutely worth experimenting. 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...