Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CG5 - GT or EQ5 synscan Goto

Hi, I am looking to upgrade currently have a 4inch newt on a very basic basic alt azm mount, i want to move up to a tracking mount with goto. And i want to upgrade my scope as well at the same time. My budget is limited to about £500 ish.

At the moment you can get a CG5 - GT with 6 Inch celestron newt for £449.

You can get the EQ5 - synscan goto mount only for about £429 and EXPLORER-150 OTA at £145 (havent seen any deals on line for this combo, are there any out there?) total £574.

I understand the CG -5 has loud motors in goto when slewing, though quiet when tracking and the Skywatcher is a lot quiter, but apart from that any other differences does one track better than the other? which is the better controller and better features, i inderstand both have autoguider ports etc. etc.

Is the Skywatcher 150p and EQ5 synscan goto a £100s better than the celestron?.

I would like to do some basic imaging, webcam planetry and maybe some piggyback wide field along with visual observation.

My main aim is to have a mount that will last me a while, due to constraints on finances etc i doubt i will ever get above an 200mm tube or a 120mm refractor.

Any advice gratefully recieved!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say there is not a lot in it but for the £100 cost saving I would go with the Celestron. Yes the motors are a little loud but are not too bad, maybe if your neighbours only have single glazing and are light sleepers then it may be a little loud. I mean that seriously btw, it's maybe about the same level as a kids remote control car but does tend to sound a little more grating.

Both the EQ5 and the CG5 are decent enough mounts and will carry the scope you are buying.

Hello "Dr Dixon!"

Yes I have the Celestron CG5 "GoTo" mount. (I haven't quite fathomed out how to use it yet though!).

I have also had the Skywatcher HEQ5 motorised (not GoTo) mount.

As "blinky" Says, the motors on the CG5 are very noisy. I was surprised at just how noisy they are in the dead of night! They will wake your neighbours. I haven't used my CG5 after midnight yet - but have informed my nearest neighbour.

The mount does track very well indeed, and the motors are very quiet when tracking. It is only when slewing across to a different target that they are noisy.

I don't know what the HEQ5 "GoTo" is like, but I've heard it is noticeably quieter.

The Celestron CG5 mount is quite a bit lighter than the HEQ5. I like this aspect, as it makes it easier to set up and put away. The CG5 is a nice mount - and it has a built in bubble level on top which I found very useful. Some of the CG5's have 2" tubular legs, whereas the HEQ5 is fitted with 1" and 1/2" inch tubular legs - the latest ones may have 2" legs.

If you do go for a CG5 "GoTo" make sure it is the latest version. Slight differences make this a beter mount than some of the older ones.

That's about all I can tell you!

Oh, one other thing. I have found that I use my motorised CG5 mount (I have two CG5 mounts) more than the "GoTo" mount, as it is quicker to set up and much easier to use. Strangely enough, although "GoTo" mounts will find things quite accurately for you, they certainly take some fiddling about with to set up (from my own experience anyway!). Also, the Celestron doesn't remember its last settings when you switch off and put it all away. I think, once you have a set up method (which works!) organised, the set up time could be reduced to a minute or two.

Also, you need a "Powertank" battery pack to power the Celestron, whereas I think the HEQ5 is powered by a set of eight "D" size batteries.

Hope, this helps.

Regards,

philsail1

Bought one of the CN6 GT (CG5 GT mount) with the 6" newt, sold the newt OTA for £100.00, so the mount cost me £349.00.

The retail price of the CG5 GT mount is £599.00 on it's own so it's actually normally more expensive than the EQ5 Synscan. It's just that the CN6 GT has been discontinued and Celestron is clearing off their remaining stock cheap.

The CG5 GT has a much bigger object database and with the latest firmware update can do the "All Star Polar Alignment". This feature alone puts it miles ahead of the Synscan as you can do a two star align and then select any other star to complete a polar alignment. No more need to use a polar alignment scope to set it up as you don't need to align with Polaris. By the way the mount does keep the long and lat settings, it's the time and date only that you have to enter each time. The motors are only noisy when slewing at the fastest rate, otherwise they are very quiet.

The "Quick Align" feature is also great when all you really want is tracking as all you have to do is set up the mount pointing approximately north, select Quick Align and that's it, no need to do an actual alignment. Takes about 20 seconds total from turning on the mount until you're observing. Ideal for lunar or planetary observing as it tracks well enough to keep whatever you are looking at in the FOV for quite a while. GOTO's aren't that accurate, but that's not what the Quick Align is really for.

I've fond that with the latest updates the mount is a easy and quick as an Alt Az mount set up.

John

Bought one of the CN6 GT (CG5 GT mount) with the 6" newt, sold the newt OTA for £100.00, so the mount cost me £349.00.

The retail price of the CG5 GT mount is £599.00 on it's own so it's actually normally more expensive than the EQ5 Synscan. It's just that the CN6 GT has been discontinued and Celestron is clearing off their remaining stock cheap.

The CG5 GT has a much bigger object database and with the latest firmware update can do the "All Star Polar Alignment". This feature alone puts it miles ahead of the Synscan as you can do a two star align and then select any other star to complete a polar alignment. No more need to use a polar alignment scope to set it up as you don't need to align with Polaris. By the way the mount does keep the long and lat settings, it's the time and date only that you have to enter each time. The motors are only noisy when slewing at the fastest rate, otherwise they are very quiet.

The "Quick Align" feature is also great when all you really want is tracking as all you have to do is set up the mount pointing approximately north, select Quick Align and that's it, no need to do an actual alignment. Takes about 20 seconds total from turning on the mount until you're observing. Ideal for lunar or planetary observing as it tracks well enough to keep whatever you are looking at in the FOV for quite a while. GOTO's aren't that accurate, but that's not what the Quick Align is really for.

I've fond that with the latest updates the mount is a easy and quick as an Alt Az mount set up.

John

Good points well made. Just to clarify though, the C6-NGT is not discontinued.

Just on promotion :)

Dude, I was in the same possition as you a month ago !

Afetr posting loads of questions about the two mounts the general vibe was the Skywatcher.

I went for the Heq5 in the end, a few more pennies but well worth it.

As some one said to me at the time"you buy your mount once only" And i couldnt afford to get it wrong. Very happy with my purchase.

Good luck

Daz:headbang:

I have the CG5GT, had for for 2 winters now. It has been very reliable and easy to set up. The goto's are very accurate and the tracking is spot on, and thats with a poor polar alignment.

Yes, it is a bit noisy on fast slew but there are guys on the yahoo tech forum for this mount looking into this and there might be a mod for it in the not too distant future.

Which would I buy, the CG5GT or the EQ5? I have not had the chance to use a SW mount as I have only ever owened Celestron gear so I am a bit biased, but it would e the Celestron in this orice range. If I had a bit more cash, or not in a hurry to spend, then I would hold off and go for a HEQ5.

Gary

• 3 years later...

I have a recent cg-5 goto mount. It really depends on what you call noisy I suppose. I'd read all the stories about it being noisy before I purchased it. When I got it I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet it was, but then I was expecting a real racket.

Unfortunately I have nothing to compare it with as this is my one and only setup. However I'd say your neighbours would have to be real light sleepers for it to wake them up, even on maximum slew speed.

i like the hibernate mode that I put in when I finish for the night as this means the minimum of re-entering settings and aligning on the next setup.

Having not used the skywatcher I cannot comment on the comparison. However, i can say the CG5-GT is a great mount and it serves me well with my scope and accessories at less than 5kg total mass.

Yes the motors are a little noisy when aligning and slewing but to be fair its likely you the aligning once and probably early in the evening and slow slews are still reasonably quite its the high rates of movement that are the culprits for the 'coffee grinder' tag. Are you likely to slew fast often? I would say probably not too often and maybe only a few secs at a time if you are slewing quick you are getting to your target quick too! Also as skir says its not likely to wake all your neighbours up anyway

The GOTO is fantastic as is the alignment process and most importantly a very sturdy platform with those super 2" steel legs ( I understand the EQ 5 are 1.75"?) Its also a fair weight but still manageable so a good middle ground between portability and rigidity.

You will likely find good reviews of both so I dont think you will go far wrong with either choice one additional bonus with the CG5 though is that with the arrival of the new upgraded version, the VX? Good chance to find a better deal on the original :D The £449 seems a good price since FLO retail at £525 for the mount alone.

I made this decision at the weekend. I was debating between the two Mounts as the scopes we're about the same spec. I was advised to go with the Celestron as the Alignment process is slightly easier and Celestron are bringing out a new accessory soon called Starsense that will be compatible with almost all Nexstar setups and will do magic with the alignment.

Hi all. Would confirm all the above re the CG5 GT, The noise ain't that bad !!

Has anyone been able to slow down the slew rate from its max of 9 ??

Would cut down the noise as mentioned and I'm happy to wAit a few more seconds

Lol Just not found a way to do it as yet ?

John

no worries. I think they'd have to be the neighbours from hell to complain about the noise from a cg-5.

My neighbours better not complain about my EQ-5 !!! Or they will get a ripe comment back about their cats crapping in my garden at about the same hours !!!

Hi all. Would confirm all the above re the CG5 GT, The noise ain't that bad !!

Has anyone been able to slow down the slew rate from its max of 9 ??

Would cut down the noise as mentioned and I'm happy to wAit a few more seconds

Lol Just not found a way to do it as yet ?

John

You can change it I just forget how now. Look it up in the manual. If you have a newer handset it is related to the motor speed button.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Archived