Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Google pixel 7 pro

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I had the Google pixel 7 pro I was in town with the wife stood at the car wife wanted something out the boot phone was on the roof. 

The wife got a phone call saying our son had been taken to hospital after having a seizure so we jumped in the car and drove off. 

I had the phone 3 weeks not got it back and car and house insurance won't cover it so I'm paying £900  for nothing. 

Before I was looking forward to using the excellent camera. 

Paul 

That's rough. I hope your son is ok!

5 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

They have put him on epilepsy drugs got to have a MRI and a EEG if or when he has another we have to video it. 

I'm very sorry about this Paul and hope it comes out well for your son.  If it's any help, I have a relative who developed epilepsy some years ago, and with the aid of regular medication is leading a very full and active life.

Edited by paulastro
  • Thanks 1

On 18/04/2023 at 11:10, Stu said:

Not a 7, but I’ve got a 6 Pro. I’ve only used it a couple of times due to the weather, but the results are astounding! Once mounted on the scope (or on its own on a tripod) it enables the long exposure mode and takes a series of images which it stacks giving a 4 minute exposure (may be longer on a 7 Pro, not sure)

Here are some images I took with mine through a 4” scope I think.

82F1F8AC-96E3-4EF7-95FF-42C4E488CDC4.thumb.jpeg.3d6bd8b8d46608607eb7c73c8e56eab5.jpeg

BD50E93C-D96B-4C80-8A13-5BE6B7C868B4.thumb.jpeg.10602e5320aad856579f17c0f76838e4.jpeg

5C9A774A-2E44-4DFD-81CF-B041EC64918D.jpeg.f53c960892917390583c9354cc527610.jpeg

Blimey, they are fabulous pics Stu, who needs a Dwarf 11 !  Your 6 pro could be the perfect phone for me - if it runs Starsense Explorer with no problems of course?  🙂

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2023 at 18:49, wookie1965 said:

I had the Google pixel 7 pro I was in town with the wife stood at the car wife wanted something out the boot phone was on the roof. 

The wife got a phone call saying our son had been taken to hospital after having a seizure so we jumped in the car and drove off. 

I had the phone 3 weeks not got it back and car and house insurance won't cover it so I'm paying £900  for nothing. 

Before I was looking forward to using the excellent camera. 

Paul 

Paul, very sorry to hear this. You really must be the unluckiest man in the UK!

I bought my 6 Pro from this website. If you chose the ones in Excellent condition they really are pretty much as new at a much reduced price.

https://www.backmarket.co.uk/en-gb/p/google-google-pixel-6-pro-128-gb-black-unlocked/75e0b63c-a7fa-4b54-8205-f79da8e2f5cb#l=10&scroll=false

You get a better discount on the slightly older models but an excellent 7Pro is still discounted from new. I’ve switched to a SIM only contract now and will likely on ever but used phones as you pay a heck of a lot less than on a contract.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Stu said:

Paul, very sorry to hear this. You really must be the unluckiest man in the UK!

I bought my 6 Pro from this website. If you chose the ones in Excellent condition they really are pretty much as new at a much reduced price.

https://www.backmarket.co.uk/en-gb/p/google-google-pixel-6-pro-128-gb-black-unlocked/75e0b63c-a7fa-4b54-8205-f79da8e2f5cb#l=10&scroll=false

You get a better discount on the slightly older models but an excellent 7Pro is still discounted from new. I’ve switched to a SIM only contract now and will likely on ever but used phones as you pay a heck of a lot less than on a contract.

Stu I am cursed I am looking for someone to take the curse off me and the family, I must be with everything that is going on its ridiculous.

I bought the pixel 6 pro on the back of @Stu's hearty recommendations and have been very very impressed with it so far. Taken earlier on this month 

Straight out of the phone

MWsept1.thumb.png.cf72922e39f399904b225511e734b7d7.png

Quick edit in photoshop (no noise reduction applied so it is apparent in the landscape)

MWsept.thumb.png.3e16790b150a5b27449075d8d8e1f74d.png

• Like 6

Some great piccies here ! 

I have an S23 ultra. I was thinking of trying some images with my fujifilm but Im going to try the cam phone first.  I just bought a phone holder. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09PVDGV6N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have image tracking on my phone, I wonder if that would work for say, the moon. Well, until it goes out of the view finder ? That way I could try multiple images and stack them ? 

When I was in SW France recently I thought just fior the heck of it I'd try taking a picture of Cassiopeia over our house with my Samsung A71.  ISO 800 and ten seconds with the phone propped against some old tiles and a five second timer gave me the picture attached.  Frankly I was pretty astonished so played around a bit more with different settings and with nothing more than the same settings was getting starfields with no trailing.   Jupiter rising over the village church was nice.

So, enthusiasm kindled I started exploring the Pixel range and found my budget creeping steadily upwards until, like Stu, settled for a Google 6 Pro described as in pristine condition from a company called Handtec. for about a third of the price new.  It will be delivered later today.  Back to France on October 5th when ever hopeful for clearer skies there  - and with Pyrenees as a backdrop who knows...

20230808_002645.jpg

• Like 3

If it's of any help to Paul who left his phone on the car roof (I did the same with a Lenovo tablet a couple of years ago.  Long story.) the Google 6 Pro arrived exactly as described: pristine.  Not a mark on it anywhere, Android 13 installed, battery seems in great condition.  12 month warranty, delivered in a cardboard returns box so if I wasn't satisfied just put it back, close the box and return at vendor's expense.  Whether it's laptops, PCs or 'phones I always buy refurbished anyway but if ever I need another SIM only 'phone Handtec is the first place I'll look.  Too bad it was overcast last night as I was itching to try out the camera but, hey ho.

• 2 months later...

I recently got into astrophotography with my Pixel 7 Pro, too. Exciting stuff! Haven't attached it to my telescope yet, but just got a smartphone adapter. Planning to give it a shot soon. Quick question for the seasoned pros: Do you use the timer function? Wondering if it helps with stabilizing after hitting the shutter button. And hey, if anyone's got some mind-blowing Pixel astro pics, please share! I'm itching to see what this little powerhouse can capture in the night sky. Also, totally random, but has anyone tried sell your Samsung Galaxy here? Thinking about switching, so curious to hear experiences.

Edited by buddyaderholt

8 hours ago, buddyaderholt said:

I recently got into astrophotography with my Pixel 7 Pro, too. Exciting stuff! Haven't attached it to my telescope yet, but just got a smartphone adapter. Planning to give it a shot soon. Quick question for the seasoned pros: Do you use the timer function? Wondering if it helps with stabilizing after hitting the shutter button. And hey, if anyone's got some mind-blowing Pixel astro pics, please share! I'm itching to see what this little powerhouse can capture in the night sky.

Posted earlier in this thread incase you didn’t see it. Taken with a Google Pixel 6Pro through a 4” scope, 4 minute exposure using Astro mode.

IMG_5314.jpeg

• Like 1

On 26/12/2023 at 23:31, Stu said:

Posted earlier in this thread incase you didn’t see it. Taken with a Google Pixel 6Pro through a 4” scope, 4 minute exposure using Astro mode.

IMG_5314.jpeg

That's an amazing image. Can I ask what scope/tracker you used to capture this? I've a 7 pro and looking to try out the astro feature. Thanks 🙂

1 hour ago, peter_m said:

That's an amazing image. Can I ask what scope/tracker you used to capture this? I've a 7 pro and looking to try out the astro feature. Thanks 🙂

Pretty sure it was a 4” refractor (Tak FC100) on a Vixen GP-DX mount, though may have been on the AZ100 tracking motors. I believe it stacks the subs and corrects for rotation if using an AltAz mount. I’ve got my AZ100 back now, so will give it another go soon (weather dependent!)

On 26/12/2023 at 14:51, buddyaderholt said:

I recently got into astrophotography with my Pixel 7 Pro, too. Exciting stuff! Haven't attached it to my telescope yet, but just got a smartphone adapter. Planning to give it a shot soon. Quick question for the seasoned pros: Do you use the timer function? Wondering if it helps with stabilizing after hitting the shutter button. And hey, if anyone's got some mind-blowing Pixel astro pics, please share! I'm itching to see what this little powerhouse can capture in the night sky. Also, totally random, but has anyone tried sell your Samsung Galaxy here? Thinking about switching, so curious to hear experiences.

This could be useful if your using the phone without the scope. If you don't need the tripod,  just get a bluetooth remote. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0CLYDZSTJ/ref=cm_cr_othr_mb_show_all_top?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews