Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dedicated thread for the DWARFLAB Dwarf 2.

7 hours ago, Dave scutt said:

Fits scrubber 

Very interesting, thank you. (and also offering GraXAI as well which I have failed to get working locally on my win7)

EDIT :: For anyone else new to working with fits :-
Fits scrubber : https://astro.mellican.com/fitsviewer/
and Astrocooker : https://astrocooker.com/

Edited by MalcolmP
add info

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Bobby1970 said:

Crescent Nebula from a couple of nights ago. 

205x 15s 70 gain, with Altair Tri band filter. 

FB_IMG_1700928987793.jpg.e68967ba894358e5cb17faad47a01a07.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Have you tried the zwo duo band filter it's excellent on emission nebulas

18 hours ago, Dave scutt said:

Have you tried the zwo duo band filter it's excellent on emission nebulas

No, i have the Altair Tri band, and Altair CLS. Tri Band seems to perform pretty well even with an almost full moon in play. 

Iris Nebula, 300x 15s @ 70 Gain

NGC7023IrisNebulaJPEG.jpg.90354ce23b98e12ac6b3c8b3c807eb70.jpg

M57, 38x 15s @ 60 Gain. Always going to be a small target with the Dwarf, but still worth capturing in my opinion. 

2023-12-04_05-44-01.jpg.41bbdd858dae8ab66e0840b6acaf2fbf.jpg

NGC7331, 300x 15s @ 70 gain. 

I'm amazed the Dwarf could make anything out of this target tbh. But also impressed to capture something so faint and so far away, 40 million light years. Lol. 

2023-12-04_05-44-01_2.jpg.11b669b6749c65103fe18671a4083f83.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

Edited by Bobby1970
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Playing with the new beta release yesterday. Managed to grab a couple of quick images.

1/250, 0 gain,  x40 stacked in Dwarf, processed in Affinity and windows photo editor

Moon191223DwarfIIJPG.jpg.f7c74dec3793c1629f1dd802ba50c1da.jpg

15s, 60 gain x50 ( 8 mins) final stacked image from Dwarf II cropped and processed in Paint.Net and Topaz denoise. 

M4515s60gx50191223JPG.jpg.9c1be0834ce016f443567ecb75bc096f.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 3

There has been a release of the Dwarf app and a firmware update today, a bit piecemeal as not everyone was seeing the updates on Google Play and the Apple Appstore - based on comments on Facebook.

Android Version is now V2.0.0 B70

iOS is now V2.0.0 B18

Firmware version V2.0.06

iOS curves tool is still not as functional as the Android version, and in my opinion these updates are probably still Beta versions based on the version numbers.

As I'm not beta testing these now they have been released I can say that the curves on Android seems functional, except for the save option.  On iOS it still needs work on the curves. With little chance to test 'astro mode' due to lack of clear skies I can't say if the curves issues are useable to an acceptable degree on either OS. I raised the curves issue for iOS back in November, together with a host of inconsistencies between the user interfaces of Android & iOS (most of which I am pleased to see have been fixed).

But if you've been waiting for the updated catalogue of objects and the option to do 1x1 binning (4k) versus the 2x2 (2k)  and a better UI then you can update without worrying about buggy beta releases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevieDvd said:

There has been a release of the Dwarf app and a firmware update today, a bit piecemeal as not everyone was seeing the updates on Google Play and the Apple Appstore - based on comments on Facebook.

Android Version is now V2.0.0 B70

iOS is now V2.0.0 B18

Firmware version V2.0.06

iOS curves tool is still not as functional as the Android version, and in my opinion these updates are probably still Beta versions based on the version numbers.

As I'm not beta testing these now they have been released I can say that the curves on Android seems functional, except for the save option.  On iOS it still needs work on the curves. With little chance to test 'astro mode' due to lack of clear skies I can't say if the curves issues are useable to an acceptable degree on either OS. I raised the curves issue for iOS back in November, together with a host of inconsistencies between the user interfaces of Android & iOS (most of which I am pleased to see have been fixed).

But if you've been waiting for the updated catalogue of objects and the option to do 1x1 binning (4k) versus the 2x2 (2k)  and a better UI then you can update without worrying about buggy beta releases.

I didn’t get the update Steve :( 

Hi All,  All of the images I've seen out of the dwarf 2 have been widefield DSOs using the telephoto lens... is it possible to use the Dwarf's widefield lens in the astro mode for taking stacked, really wide milky way shots or for star trail pics? and has anyone tried the timelapse function.  My main rig is a widefield set up based around a redcat51 but im really interested in the Dwarf 2 for super portability and the potential for whole sky type images using the wide lens.

Any thoughts?

Ta.

I recently purchased the Dwarf II, and am still learning how to use it. I am working my way through the many on-line videos. Needless to say, the clouds have made it a challenge to use it in astronomy mode - there are only so many astro "dark" image sets needed. It is certainly faster to get operational than most of my visual setups, and auto-alignment is a joy. It's not going to replace my visual equipment, particularly at higher magnifications, but is a good introduction to EAA.

I have just updated the software. My Android V13 tablet required a system update, and when it had completed, with full restart, I opened the Dwarflab app, and it seemed to have already updated to V2.0.0 - it just required me to agree to the terms and conditions. The app advised me to update the firmware, and I pressed the "Update" button. All went well for stages 1 to 3, but, on completion of step 3, the update wheel was circling for over 5 minutes, with no obvious sign of getting a tick for a completed step 4. I tried again, with similar results, so I went to the Dwarflab web site, downloaded the Windows update Zip, and using a USB C lead, updated the firmware.

The new app's user interface is a major change from the previous one, but after about half an hour's playing, I felt comfortable with the revisions. The astro object catalogue is a vast improvement, but "Clear Outside" is showing little chance of clear skies to try it out.

Geoff

• Like 3

On 26/12/2023 at 15:44, Lucas M said:

Hi All,  All of the images I've seen out of the dwarf 2 have been widefield DSOs using the telephoto lens... is it possible to use the Dwarf's widefield lens in the astro mode for taking stacked, really wide milky way shots or for star trail pics? and has anyone tried the timelapse function.  My main rig is a widefield set up based around a redcat51 but im really interested in the Dwarf 2 for super portability and the potential for whole sky type images using the wide lens.

Any thoughts?

Ta.

The Dwarflab "Everything You Need To Know about DWARF II" online manual, section 2.2, last paragraph. states " *In the dual-lens system, the wide-angle lens can only take photos in Photo mode and acts as a wide view indicator in other modes.". So it would seem that it will need a change to the app to be able to use the wide-angle feed for astro.

Geoff

23 hours ago, Geoff Lister said:

The Dwarflab "Everything You Need To Know about DWARF II" online manual, section 2.2, last paragraph. states " *In the dual-lens system, the wide-angle lens can only take photos in Photo mode and acts as a wide view indicator in other modes.". So it would seem that it will need a change to the app to be able to use the wide-angle feed for astro.

Geoff

Cheers Geoff,

That's a little disappointing, and a missed opportunity in my opinion, but maybe it will come in time.

Ta.

Lucas

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A few images I captured across Wednesday and Thursday evenings. 

2024-01-21_06-59-08.jpg.80d8f6beb1fa201ec627ccbdb94db80d.jpg

2024-01-21_06-58-56.jpg.ea6e15ebfbb8d20af7b79b87cd8f079c.jpg

2024-01-21_06-58-47.jpg.40f7bfcaceb20a1011e7be4776752da2.jpg

2024-01-21_06-58-37.jpg.bf7965b05fde3466406626aa2591540e.jpg

Finally for a bit of fun, the mighty Jupiter 🤣

FB_IMG_1705863809013.jpg.613b5ab7eeb88adc4a3622092f2ece3b.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

Edited by Bobby1970
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a few attempts but this is the first with 'serious' processing. This is 60x15s  at Gain 80 unbinned. This is amazing as most people reckon you need 500+ subs to get a good result. I must try it if the clouds stay away long enough.  I set up the D2 in rough polar aligned orientation, worked a treat.

Stacked in DSS5, then PI (NoiseX, SpectrophotometricColorCalibration, BlurX, SCNR, HistogramTransformation stretch, BlurX again, then Affinity Photo masked Clarity, masked Curves twice, once for the core and once for the rest. I am surprised I need shorter subs to avoid burning out the Trapezium and the colour went off somewhere along the line.

spacer.png

Edited by dunc
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I tried the dwarf with the moon the other night. I have done better with my DSLR, but it taught me more about stacking. I think I see a way to use my DSLR for the imaging and then stack it, even tough my DOB does not track.  The process will definitely be harder, but I think I can get a better result. 

Mun 2024-02-25.png