Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dedicated thread for the DWARFLAB Dwarf 2.

I would like to start, or see started, a dedicated thread for the Dwarf 2, but I am at a quandary as to where it should be placed. Whole set ups? Cameras?

As it’s a new technology goto there has been, and will for a while I’m sure, issues, that has been partly addressed in other forums and YouTube, but I feel there’s a better set of minds here, if I’m not being offensive to other forums, to access ideas and answers for such issues that may reveal themselves over time.

I’ve started using mine in daytime to acclimatise myself to its workings and find it very useful and engaging. I’m looking forward to taking it up to my son and daughter, it being so portable and quick in showing results.

Can someone help in deciding?

chaz

• Like 1

I think your biggest problem is going to be that very few people on here have one, or are likely to buy one until someone else has taken the early-adopter risks. If it means anything, I at least am interested!

It may not have been mentioned that much in SGL but it has been selling like hot cakes over in the US and has generated a bit of a frenzy over on the CloudyNights (CN) forum.  CN can be a bit pedantic about posts in the wrong forum sections, so because the Dwarf can be used for EAA  you can't post any post processing comments in that section (those are moved to the image processing section(s).

Up to now it was only sold direct and shipped in batches to each country for onward internal shipping to individuals.  The biggest gripe over at CN is the shipping wait.

I have not had the heart to let them know that we could now get one overnight from one of the reputable astronomy suppliers here in the UK (15% Easter offer saving £80 due to end soon).

YouTube is awash with reviews of it, and by some of the more noted people like Cuiv the Lazy Geek. The makers have been very quick to address issues and add functionality, possibly because this is their only product currently on sale (as far as I know).

It must be making waves as ZWO has just brought out a similar product  (ZWO SeeStar S50) at the same price point, though details of it are very sparse and I've only seen pictures.  Given the delays in getting software changes for the AsiAir Pro/Plus I don't think ZWO will be as agile at fixing/enhancing their product. However, even though the product is not available most of the UK Astronomy sellers have added the images and sparse detail of the ZWO product (ZWO have bigger marketing budgets).

If I was still working I would have bought one no question, but my next gear addition is likely to be a ZWO 533MC Pro camera to add to my AM5 setup.

• Like 2

By all accounts it is selling well here, just some delays for the extras. When the AZ-gti came out, it too got a big following and sold well, with a dedicated thread to help those who have little experience with this mount, I have one I’ve followed the thread.

Undoubtedly there will be more users in the UK and with increased needs and understanding of it, hopefully a thread will be born.🧐

I’ve now printed and fitted a base saver, polar alignment tube and Bahtinov mask. The Manfrotto tripod is three dimensional and has two level bubbles, polar alignment should be straight forward as  I can tilt the Dwarf2 to the required 51*.

chaz

IMG_6549.jpeg

IMG_6550.jpeg

Edited by Chaz2b
Add photos
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, MartinHiggins said:

Hi Stevie, I've just been reading the posts on Cloudy Nights and it looks very interesting. Could you tell me whose selling it in the UK?

Cheers

Hi , I benefitted from Steve’s knowledge on this and purchased mine from 365 Astronomy. It was the first time I had bought from them and experienced excellent service . They still have their promotion  on regarding the dwarf labs 2 … check out their website  for details . 
Stu 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MartinHiggins said:

Hi Stevie, I've just been reading the posts on Cloudy Nights and it looks very interesting. Could you tell me whose selling it in the UK?

Cheers

Being sold at 365Astronomy.

I have bought from them many a time and got my  ZWO AM5 from them, along with a lot of my current astro gear.  Better buying from a UK retailer for direct support than awaiting on overseas delivery at same price, IMO.

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chaz2b said:

I’ve now printed and fitted a base saver, polar alignment tube and Bahtinov mask

Hi , I would be interested in the batinov mask … a real necessity in my book . As for polar aligning , the unit uses plate solving so getting the pole star in the centre of the view should be enough .

Presumably the cameras bought from the Dwarflab site incur import duty and VAT?
Anyone been down this route?

Looking today the site is offering the deluxe at £424 incl shipping.
365 are asking £539 incl shipping.

In other words very similar prices if there is VAT and duty to pay - then of course there may be carrier/importer fees.

My interest is more daylight for moving wildlife - have already spent on astro mounts and cameras.

Edited by Carbon Brush

On 16/04/2023 at 16:17, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi , I would be interested in the batinov mask … a real necessity in my book . As for polar aligning , the unit uses plate solving so getting the pole star in the centre of the view should be enough .

But you will suffer field rotation. Cuiv the lazy geek covers this very well in his YouTube offerings.

Hi all

My DWII arrived in the UK last Tue. I ordered my model direct from DW (not through Kickstarter or Indiegogo) last Nov, so it’s taken a while to get here. It’s been a frustrating wait, but I’m certain the DWII has been improved before my device shipped, which I’m grateful for.

I spent much of yesterday persuading my iPhone and Android tablet to communicate with the DWII, then updating its firmware (using the tablet)…got there in the end. 

The Widescreen Centre are also selling these in the UK. Hopefully, in time, they will sell the accessories also. I wonder what SkyWatcher, Celestron are thinking…?

I got into this hobby simply so that I could see  more of ‘space’. Aperture fever ‘promised’ to meaningfully reveal more. Not without a camera, however! I had no intention to spend an auctioned kidney’s worth of Sterling on an imaging setup, but I am enjoying the challenge. For me, the DWII will hopefully take me back to my original intent to ‘see more’. It’s not going to replace my imaging setup - how could it? - but it should allow me to share the joy and wonder of the universe with others and without much of the fuss. 

Thats enough philosophising for a Bank Holiday and, besides, I suspect the 90 day monsoon is about to hit SW England…

Clear (pah!) skies all!

Matt

• Like 3

On 15/04/2023 at 13:05, Chaz2b said:

I would like to start, or see started, a dedicated thread for the Dwarf 2, but I am at a quandary as to where it should be placed. Whole set ups? Cameras?

As it’s a new technology goto there has been, and will for a while I’m sure, issues, that has been partly addressed in other forums and YouTube, but I feel there’s a better set of minds here, if I’m not being offensive to other forums, to access ideas and answers for such issues that may reveal themselves over time.

I think the images obtained would do well in the eeva section along with the info on the equipment used and settings etc. There is also the section: discussions - eeva equipment where maybe specific kit could have an owners thread? All the best. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one in January. I got it in April. The technology is still pretty new, the ios interface has a lot to be desired, but they keep making improvements. My wife likes that it is much smaller than lugging my 10" dob around. The go to is great, but so far there is not many targets in its database. And pointing it without the go to is cumbersome. The in camera stacking is pretty cool, and I have gotten the best images I have ever done with it. My other scope is a 10" dob without tracking. That being said, the images are cool, but not stunning like you see from more expensive rigs. I would say get one if you are not planning to get a serious rig. Or if you need a gateway drug to encourage you to get a better rig.  It is fun, and a great price for what it does.  I would say its more of an astrophotography toy than a tool. It can do better than anything without tracking. And it makes it easy to do so. But almost anything with tracking will give you a better image. 

2023-04-23 - sol 1.jpg

M66 Leo Triplet.png

M51 - Whilpool Galaxy.png

2023-03-27T05.27.41.png

• Like 4

Spot On regarding the database .. it should be upgraded based on location ... a "tonights best" would be great . I also think entering co-ordinates is cumbersome . Solar and Luna are both very good . The speed of set up is a real plus point , and as you rightly say , its a wife pleaser . So, basically endorsing all what you wrote ... i would not call it a toy though . For someone , like me who wants to do astrophotography but hates the thought of teasing data from a pc  its a game changer . Also i was overjoyed capturing the Leo triplet for the first time . I then set my scope up and viewed it in the EP , which was even more magical .  :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did anyone else feel like the Dwarf Labs Presentation was very ameteurish on YouTube yesterday ?

Also they are updating the list of targets to , wait for it , 500 objects !!!! assuming 250 of those will be in the southern hemisphere , thats 250 for us in the NH .

This Isn't the update that i expected .. The ZWO SeeStars is to have a database which includes a "Tonights Best " viewable from the users location . Thats how it should be done , surely . 

I  love the Dwarf , but the presenters even described the interface as "rough" . Maybe the software should have been perfected before releasing it . After all the new interface does look better . Its just a shame about the limited target list . ( yes i know we can enter co-ordinates but thats fidly and time consuming and something that goes against the concept of simplicity of the product for the user ) 

I repeat ... i love the Dwarf , but it doesn't mean its above critisism . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Did anyone else feel like the Dwarf Labs Presentation was very ameteurish on YouTube yesterday ?

Also they are updating the list of targets to , wait for it , 500 objects !!!! assuming 250 of those will be in the southern hemisphere , thats 250 for us in the NH .

This Isn't the update that i expected .. The ZWO SeeStars is to have a database which includes a "Tonights Best " viewable from the users location . Thats how it should be done , surely . 

I  love the Dwarf , but the presenters even described the interface as "rough" . Maybe the software should have been perfected before releasing it . After all the new interface does look better . Its just a shame about the limited target list . ( yes i know we can enter co-ordinates but thats fidly and time consuming and something that goes against the concept of simplicity of the product for the user ) 

I repeat ... i love the Dwarf , but it doesn't mean its above critisism . 

I still need to watch that. I keep thinking I should just make a app that has the features and targets that I want but its summer and am crazy busy. Maybe this winter. Pretty sure Dwarflab started as a few hardware guys that had an idea, and no business or advertising sense. Made the hardware, and are attempting to figure out the software, and business side as they go.

• Like 1

I do believe there’s a pretty big update on the software next month. They’ve been very busy with it and are a company that listens to their customers.

Its not high end status kit so don’t expect it to be.  it’s novel, light and does give some pleasure in its use, to me anyway.

I‘ve used mine in daytime more than night due to the unending clouds! Who’s bought astro stuff lately?

I’ve yet to use it with filters, but then don’t need to yet.

Well the nights are started to roll in so maybe we’ll see more use?

chaz

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'd recommend it as Stu1smartcookie says for the quick setup and easy operation.  I wouldn't describe it as a toy but obviously it can't compete with a "proper" rig.  I've used it for the last month from Wolverhampton but haven't had many clear nights when I was in, I run the app on an 8 inch android tablet which gives a better view than a phone and use the free Snapseed app for post processing on the tablet.   The attached of M31 was taken in back garden with a near full moon (the blue one haha) shining on the telescope and my skies are fairly light polluted, so you can get decent shots.  I found manual inputting of targets is ok and also adds a bit of interest because you can look for the coords on Stellarium and pop those in, for example Brocchi's Cluster (the coathanger) below isn't in the built in database but fits the field of view well.  I haven't yet tried downloading the raw fits files onto a PC and putting them through something like Deep Sky Stacker.

By the way for best targets tonight I use two apps, Telescopius and SkEye.

I'd be interested in any suggested Dwarf II targets from anyone.

There's a rumour that DwarfLab will be selling a 2x telephoto lens but I don't know how true that is.  It would help with things like M57 which is quite small in the field of view.  I understand that Dwarf III is also in the pipeline but if that happens I hope the developers will continue to support Dwarf II - I think they will, they seem very customer orientated.

Attached files:

Brocchi's Cluster  =  50 x 8 second images stacked on Dwarf2 and just cropped.

M31  =  500 x 13 second images stacked on Dwarf2, cropped to remove field rotation, with auto curve adjustment made on the Android Snapseed app (I was lazy...).

Brocchi's Cluster.jpeg

M31.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reviving the thread as i am sure there are many users of this little scope . For the record i actually sold mine ( and like most things , i regretted it ) only to buy another one which is due for delivery today . 

But, from what i learn , the software hasn't had an update recently and the "GOTO" list has not increased , am i right here ?

I am a bit worried about a lack of support from the Dwarf Bods ... I hope that their software team are still intending to support the scope . 

Stu

• Like 1