Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dedicated thread for the DWARFLAB Dwarf 2.

13 minutes ago, christiano said:

You’re right about the GOTO list & software although I believe various YouTubers have been promised updates.

I got a couple of nice shots last night before the clouds came in. Nothing worthy of posting here though.

I had a rather nice reply from the team at Dwarf saying that the update is due this month . I also mentioned a "tonights Best " option would be great and they seemed to like the idea ( although i'm not sure why THEY didnt think about it ) . 

• Like 1

On 13/09/2023 at 10:31, Stu1smartcookie said:

Reviving the thread as i am sure there are many users of this little scope . For the record i actually sold mine ( and like most things , i regretted it ) only to buy another one which is due for delivery today . 

But, from what i learn , the software hasn't had an update recently and the "GOTO" list has not increased , am i right here ?

I am a bit worried about a lack of support from the Dwarf Bods ... I hope that their software team are still intending to support the scope . 

Stu

I completely understand your selling it and then buying another 😂. I have done this on numerous occasions as you’re probably well aware. Oh well onwards and upwards eh Stu?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I completely understand your selling it and then buying another 😂. I have done this on numerous occasions as you’re probably well aware. Oh well onwards and upwards eh Stu?

Onwards and up , sideways , up sideways … my astronomy experience is typically Alt-Az , Ian 😂

• Haha 4

Totally agree.  The last update was May 2023 and that's a looong time ago for an app.  Rumours about Dwarf3 also make me nervous about continuing support for Dwarf2.

You're right about the GOTO list, for this type of equipment I think this needs updating and maybe could be done ahead of other things (do you read SGL posts DwarfLab?).

Still for the price a great bit of kit.

• Like 1

I’m a DWARF II owner in the UK 😀

Ordered in Jan, delivered in April, and used more times since then than my other kit - Celestron SCT, SkyWatcher Star Adventurer - on the few nights when the stars have aligned, as far as clouds and my availability are concerned!

It clearly can’t complete with dedicated setups, but that isn’t its USP.

it is portable, easy to setup, and easy to get results with - it has rekindled my interest in our fantastic pastime!

I’ve also got a SeeStar S50 on order, but let’s keep that between us…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NeilEMartin said:

I’m a DWARF II owner in the UK 😀

Ordered in Jan, delivered in April, and used more times since then than my other kit - Celestron SCT, SkyWatcher Star Adventurer - on the few nights when the stars have aligned, as far as clouds and my availability are concerned!

It clearly can’t complete with dedicated setups, but that isn’t its USP.

it is portable, easy to setup, and easy to get results with - it has rekindled my interest in our fantastic pastime!

I’ve also got a SeeStar S50 on order, but let’s keep that between us…

Personally i think there "IS" room to own both the dwarf that produces widefield shots and the SS which has a 50mm lens i believe . The Dwarf is useable in EQ mode which stops the crazy field rotation with a basic polar alignment . I too will consider buying the SS to work alongside the Dwarf . For those that scoff regarding these super little units , they miss the point entirely . We know that they cant compete with a rig that costs well over 1K to put together ( along with a lot of sweat and tears ) , but, my images of distant objects taken with the Dwarf  are just as good to me .. and if i can post them on social media , promoting our pastime  and bringing the hobby to the masses then lets embrace the brilliant tech thats around now .

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Personally i think there "IS" room to own both the dwarf that produces widefield shots and the SS which has a 50mm lens i believe . The Dwarf is useable in EQ mode which stops the crazy field rotation with a basic polar alignment . I too will consider buying the SS to work alongside the Dwarf . For those that scoff regarding these super little units , they miss the point entirely . We know that they cant compete with a rig that costs well over 1K to put together ( along with a lot of sweat and tears ) , but, my images of distant objects taken with the Dwarf  are just as good to me .. and if i can post them on social media , promoting our pastime  and bringing the hobby to the masses then lets embrace the brilliant tech thats around now .

Yes, I think so too - different optical specification, different firmware and user app control.

Plenty of other people agree!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see people posting re Dwarf 2.  I have been considering buying one for months, and have just ordered one today - from a supplier in the UK.

It's amazed me how little mention of it I've been able to find  on SGL.  In fact it had crossed my mind that it had been banned for some reason - though I couldn't think why 🤔.

I am not an imager, so it should suit me fine, most result for least input - I dont have enough clear sky to waste too much time on imaging in the more traditional sense 😊.

After the initial learning curve I'll post how I'm getting on.  Naturally, it'll be from a non-imagers perspective 🙂.

• Like 2

There are quite a few of us on SGL who have them but they have not exactly made a splash as the ZWO Seestar has.  The firmware/apps have been waiting for a big update for quite a few months but should be a big improvement on the current retail versions.

Dwarf Labs have a beta firmware and app (IOS & Android) doing the rounds but this is a bit of a hacked beta. They have tweaked the existing apps to call some of the new features so it's not what I would call a proper beta.

The main changes apart for the UI design are:

• binning - allows for 1x1 binning on solar/lunar & astro (previously 2x2 only)
  • Solar/lunar stacking (as well as tracking)

There are quite a few on the Dwarf Labs FB groups who are posting decent images, though clouds in the UK have limited my use of the beta.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

There are quite a few of us on SGL who have them but they have not exactly made a splash as the ZWO Seestar has.  The firmware/apps have been waiting for a big update for quite a few months but should be a big improvement on the current retail versions.

Dwarf Labs have a beta firmware and app (IOS & Android) doing the rounds but this is a bit of a hacked beta. They have tweaked the existing apps to call some of the new features so it's not what I would call a proper beta.

The main changes apart for the UI design are:

• binning - allows for 1x1 binning on solar/lunar & astro (previously 2x2 only)
  • Solar/lunar stacking (as well as tracking)

There are quite a few on the Dwarf Labs FB groups who are posting decent images, though clouds in the UK have limited my use of the beta.

Many thanks for the information  Stevie.  Yes, the weather around here has  certainly been quite torrid for the last month.  Thanks again.

Edited by paulastro

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently ordered a Dwarf II and have to say I am very excited about it. So much that I've decided to have a clear out of loads of other astro gear, with a view to having the Dwarf and maybe a small Mak and camera for planetary captures on a Star Adventurer.

For the limited time I get these days, and the weather we have here in UK they seem like an absolute no brainer to me, and I think a bit of a bargain when you consider what can be done with it and how portable it is. 

• 2 weeks later...

First light with my Dwarf last night. 

All 15s x60, 80 gain, stacks taken from dwarf and a stretch, crop and noise reduction. 

M31 image is solely processed on my phone 

DWARF_20231110213816642-013.thumb.jpeg.bd3b5492b56cf8993448dfffd2bd2a6e.jpeg

FBF6841046DA4B9F8D117D1E41E17DE2.png.e2bfd559ecbbc00ff296cdac5a3120ed.png

M81_M82101123jpg.jpg.8c91b8c462b7501207894e766671cf7e.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

Edited by Bobby1970
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bobby1970 said:

First light with my Dwarf last night. 

All 15s, 80 gain, stacks taken from dwarf and a stretch, crop and noise reduction. 

7D85D0C1CAC94E6BA5274E2C9121DF61.png.a3493d1578d36896c1c3dd63b6e1974e.png

FBF6841046DA4B9F8D117D1E41E17DE2.png.e2bfd559ecbbc00ff296cdac5a3120ed.png

M81_M82101123jpg.jpg.8c91b8c462b7501207894e766671cf7e.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

Nice images Rob.

I love my drawf but still learning to process.

1000000155-01.thumb.jpeg.3aafe3bd67162bdbfbf90a69a8512578.jpeg

• Like 2

On 11/11/2023 at 21:08, Dave scutt said:

Nice images Rob.

I love my drawf but still learning to process.

1000000155-01.thumb.jpeg.3aafe3bd67162bdbfbf90a69a8512578.jpeg

Come on Dave, share your tips on how to get such a great image from the Dwarf, would be great to get your input for the benefit of the rest of us. 🙏

39 minutes ago, Bobby1970 said:

Come on Dave, share your tips on how to get such a great image from the Dwarf, would be great to get your input for the benefit of the rest of us. 🙏

2 X 800 X 15 subs,  ,70 gain ,lights, 50 darks, IR Pass, no filter.

Stacked in siril, processed in siril, scrubber, and Photoshop .

Edited by Dave scutt

58 minutes ago, Dave scutt said:

2 X 800 X 15 subs,  ,70 gain ,lights, 50 darks, IR Pass, no filter.

Stacked in siril, processed in siril, scrubber, and Photoshop .

Awesome. Will have to try something similar. Many thanks. 👍