Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello there from the Stone Age! :))

Ric

Hi,

my name is Ric and i am interested in Stone Age astronomy - alignments of standing stones, natural sighting points against the horizon, seasonal shadows cast by prehistoric monuments and other sighting devices invented by Neolithic peoples to measure time and mark the seasons.

best regards,

R

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G'day Ric, what a great interest! particularly so as it would be, I imagine,in archaeology-rich UK.

Pre-telescope astronomy of any kind has its fascination.. and the kit can be much more affordable too :) I'm eager to see your posts. Good luck and and happy hunting! :)

Hiya Ric and welcome. I am quite lucky in that I live between the standing stones of Avebury and Stonehenge. Both of which are fascinating sites, although Stonehenge is the better known, Avebury is by far the larger site, great to walk around on a nice day and unlike Stonehenge the stones are not cordoned off.

Hi

Many kind thanks to all - yes, i am looking at an Avebury feature right now. Bryn Celli Ddu was a wow when the solar alignment was discovered - wish i lived nearer to North Wales - it means something like Hill of the Dark Grove but of course may have had a quite different name in prehistory. The turn of the seasons were of such immense importance to the early farmers that Britain and Ireland are peppered with megalithic / landscape solar and lunar observation sites, many i am sure as yet unrecorded or unrecognised

will update :)

Ric

Hi. Ric., and I hope you enjoy the SGL Forum.

A very interesting, and I'm sure, exciting hobby you have.

Your posts will be looked forward too, as I'm sure lots of members will have an interest in the subject. Hobby, applied to what you do, as with Astronomy, is too inadequate a description. I prefer to say It's a way of life.

Ron.:)

Thanks Ron,

fascinating thing about UK Stone Age is that we are looking at a civilisation which has left us no pictures or writing - the monuments and archaeology is all we have.

best regards,

Ric

Hello Ric :)

Are your palaeo-astro studies confined to the British Isles or do you go further afield?

One of the most memorable sites I remember visiting (as a simple tourist) - a bit more recent than your field of study perhaps - was the Caracol at Chichen Itza in Mexico. Not only looks like a modern telescope dome but actually was an observatory: and the Mayans held their astronomers in very high regard. Food for thought.

Archived