Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

To 'break the ice'

omneferuss

I've already started posting, so it's about time I intro'd myself.

NYE (Dec 31st 2007), bored with countdowns and fireworks televised from distant places, I took a bit of night air as I'd often done.

But this time it struck me to Google the chances of me affording a telescope! ..to see REAL fireworks 'televised' from distant places ;)

Barely aware of more than the fact that the Earth goes around the Sun, and with vague memories of my Dad having a scope when I was about nine.. (and like all of my experiences of his fad interests, being severely put-off by it! ) I decided that this might help to occupy my insomniac nights.

At 50+ and on life's scrap-heap I was rather predisposed to an interest that would have me turning my back to the world.. and stargazing and its many allied fields opened up a universe of opportunities far beyond my hitherto morbid horizons!

So here I am.. barefoot on the path to enlightenment, my swag of accumulated astro-wares and trinkets, my dillybag of dreams, and eyes wide open in awe.. learning the more how little I know, and probably understanding less.. but perhaps less ignorant now for knowing that!

....besides, it's FUN !

So here I am.. barefoot on the path to enlightenment, my swag of accumulated astro-wares and trinkets, my dillybag of dreams, and eyes wide open in awe.. learning the more how little I know, and probably understanding less.. but perhaps less ignorant now for knowing that!

.... besides, it's FUN !

OMG!

You are the barefoot philosopher! ;)

I claim my £10 prize and free copy of the Sun!! :rolleyes:

Hehe.. which is it CW.. the £10 or the page 3 err.. 'Sun' yer want, you can't have both :rolleyes: (I get the feeling that I've cited a cliche here somewhere, whose currency has still not reached my awareness here in my antipodean abode ?)

;)

and thanks Ron ! Indeed, patience is the most powerful lesson I'm learning in this endeavour.

At 50+ and on life's scrap-heap I was rather predisposed to an interest that would have me turning my back to the world..

it's FUN !

Well, I suppose I look on my fellow quintagenarians(?), as "life's little funsters". :)

And, with the real(!) prospect of moving home (I have a cunning plan?), maybe this time, I can do some REAL astronomy. :)

And, as you say, it's FUN... so I'm told... eventually... etc. ;)

I'm a little torn between here! I don't want to be "bump"ing this.. but feel I ought to gratefully acknowledge all your warm and cheerful greetings!

Please accept my thanks as understood if I fail to reply directly.. :)

Russ ( John, I am ! I am enjoying it :) )

Hi Ron and Doc, thanks for the greets :eek: good to be here on SGL !

Finally the clouds are dispersing as cooler temps herald our coming Southern winter.. so I'll get to see some sunshine without unbearable humidity at last... and clear nights :) :) ;) ..as good as a holiday Ron :eek: ..just a pity I've mostly missed those more Northerly gems now too low too soon after sunset.. "Next year" he tells himself B) Hoping you all get your fair share of clear skies too!

Russ

Archived