Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Takahshi FC100DF

Hi everyone, some of you may remember back in the spring I decided on getting an FC100DZ and have been saving and waiting for stock ever since. I recently found out that Takahashi have stopped taking orders for these until further notice which wasn't the best news I could have hoped for so I decided to get something else.

I have been on ABS looking at used FC100's but I really don't fancy spending a lot (to me anyway) on a used scope that might have issues that I might be unaware of at time of purchase.

With this in mind I decided to order a brand new FC100DF which I did on Saturday.

I'm now ordering a few bits that I need as well, diagonal, dovetail bar and I'm wondering about a counterweight hence this post.

I have a Vixen SP, bought used earlier this year , which came with a large counterweight. I've weighed it today and it's 14lbs (6.4 kilo) and I'm thinking it's going to be a bit heavy for the Tak. I'm wondering if I might get away with it at or near the top of the shaft?

What do you FC100 owners use to balance your scopes on a GEM please? 

• Like 7

Congratulations on the new incoming Takahashi 😀

Can’t help with the GEM question, but having had a FC-100DC (optically the same as the DF) and now owning a DZ, rest assured there really is nothing between them optically in our UK skies with normal seeing… the primary reason for me going for the FZ was ergonomics, mainly the focuser, and the DF addresses that anyway 👍

• Like 2

Hi Gary, thank you for your response.

I'm really looking forward to joining the Tak club as I've wanted one for many years but other things always got in the way and hence never had the money.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ukskies said:

Hi Gary, thank you for your response.

I'm really looking forward to joining the Tak club as I've wanted one for many years but other things always got in the way and hence never had the money.

Well welcome finally to the Tak club… they are great scopes and never leave you wanting more 😃

Of course, once you join, it’s likely you never will have any money ever again… Have you seen all the Tak accessories yet, not counting other scopes… don’t go there 😬🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks Gary, I'm really looking forward to it.

Yes the price of Tak gear is eyewateringly expensive I'll admit and the DF has now cost as much as the DZ would have back in the spring. It's a dream coming true for me tho so what price do you put on that?

19 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Well welcome finally to the Tak club… they are great scopes and never leave you wanting more 😃

Of course, once you join, it’s likely you never will have any money ever again… Have you seen all the Tak accessories yet, not counting other scopes… don’t go there 😬🤣

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Congrats. You will be amazed how light these scopes are - have to say I rarely used counterweights with my DC visually. A fairly robust mount barely noticed any of the FC-100s.

Hi thank you for posting this, maybe I'll need less weight than I thought. I guess I'll see soon enough.😃

• Like 1

Congrats on the Tak. I'm sure you'll love it! I occasionally use a 100DC on a Vixen AP and 1kg on the end of the shaft nearly does the job. 2.8kg easily copes less than half way down the shaft so I would guess 6.4kg would be much more than you need.

Malcolm 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

Congrats on the Tak. I'm sure you'll love it! I occasionally use a 100DC on a Vixen AP and 1kg on the end of the shaft nearly does the job. 2.8kg easily copes less than half way down the shaft so I would guess 6.4kg would be much more than you need.

Malcolm 

Hi Malcolm, thank you very much for this, it reinforces my thinking. Lighter counterweights are quite difficult to find in stock atm but I did manage to get a 4.5 kilo one. This i'm sure will need to be near the top end of the shaft but if I have calculated correctly I should be able to balance with it.

The DF is 0.8kg heavier than your DC plus I have another nearly 0.8kg added to the top of my Vixen SP mount so I think it will work ok.

• Like 1

It really depends on the weight of the telescope plus all the other stuff you attach to it, I've listed a few below. I would have thought your counterweight is a bit on the heavy side. You can, of course, obtain lighter Vixen counterweights, which might be more suitable.

Accessories I would recommend are a 6x30 Tak finder on a quick release bracket. The MEF 7:1 fine focuser. The Baader quick release 2" diagonal if you intend on using 2" eyepieces. I believe you will also need a Baader adapter (M64) if you go down this route. Televue  Equaliser and a 2 inch extender if some of your eyepieces don't come to focus.

None of these are essential and their absence won't prevent you from enjoying a wonderful telescope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ukskies said:

Lighter counterweights are quite difficult to find in stock atm

It sounds like you are sorted but for future reference, have you tried here?

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/cat/c136_Counterweights-Balance-Weights.html/page/2

I've got a number of items from them in the last year or so (including a Vixen counterweight) and found them very good.

Malcolm 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cleetus said:

It really depends on the weight of the telescope plus all the other stuff you attach to it, I've listed a few below. I would have thought your counterweight is a bit on the heavy side. You can, of course, obtain lighter Vixen counterweights, which might be more suitable.

Accessories I would recommend are a 6x30 Tak finder on a quick release bracket. The MEF 7:1 fine focuser. The Baader quick release 2" diagonal if you intend on using 2" eyepieces. I believe you will also need a Baader adapter (M64) if you go down this route. Televue  Equaliser and a 2 inch extender if some of your eyepieces don't come to focus.

None of these are essential and their absence won't prevent you from enjoying a wonderful telescope.

Hi Cleetus and many thanks for your helpful post. I actually hadn't thought about Vixen counterweights (doh) and I see Malcolms post following yours has put a link to some.

Just for info I actually ordered the OTA package which includes the 6x30 finder,bracket and clamshell just because I love the look of the clamshell and because @mikeDnight recommended the 6x30. 

I also ordered a Baader clicklock dielectric 2" diagonal with the intention maybe of using 2" eyepieces maybe in the future and because many diagonals have no stock at FLO, a Vixen style short dovetail bar and a 35mm 2" extension tube just in case I encounter focus range issues.

The MEF focuser TBH is under consideration but I'm not quite sure about it yet, from what little research I've done online it seems a bit like Marmite tho Doctor D (for one) loves it. Hence 'm going to try the standard focuser first and then decide what to do. Can I assume though that you have or had the MEF and like(d) it? If so what did impress you about it?

And finally eyepieces, not 2" to begin with tho I will be buying some in the near. I'm not a rich so quality eyepieces have to be thought about very carefully prior to ordering. I am aware that most ranges of eyepieces have a couple of gems, the Morpheus 17.5 for example and it may pay to cherry pick across different ranges. My main eyepiece in the 12" dob has simply been a Baader mk4 zoom and dedicated 2.25 barlow.

I do love to zoom in on the moon, it's like being in a space ship as you approach. I know it's childish but heck I'm 66 and haven't grown up yet.😉 There are no doubt better eyepieces than this but the ability to change power with a simple twist as the seeing varies is priceless.

I do feel the FC100 will deserve a few better eyepieces however.

Edited by ukskies
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

It sounds like you are sorted but for future reference, have you tried here?

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/cat/c136_Counterweights-Balance-Weights.html/page/2

I've got a number of items from them in the last year or so (including a Vixen counterweight) and found them very good.

Malcolm 

Hi Malcolm, many thanks for the link. I'd not even considered a Vixen weight! 

I may be sorted in the short term but I will keep this in mind going forward as i think the 4.5 is a little over the top, I was going to order 2x2kg weights but no stock at RVO who, like most in the industry are struggling to get stock of certain items. It's a Bresser one because I preferred the smaller diameter/ longer weight.

I'll be honest,since Brexit I'd not tried to buy from Europe can I ask did you have delivery and find there was more to pay or was it as per the website when you ordered?

• Like 1

Great to hear you have an incoming Tak! welcome to the club, more exclusively the 4” Tak club. 😂

There’s something special about those 4” Taks, I hear they’re light which is always great, as it will surely be a great grab and go.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ukskies said:

Hi Malcolm, many thanks for the link. I'd not even considered a Vixen weight! 

I may be sorted in the short term but I will keep this in mind going forward as i think the 4.5 is a little over the top, I was going to order 2x2kg weights but no stock at RVO who, like most in the industry are struggling to get stock of certain items. It's a Bresser one because I preferred the smaller diameter/ longer weight.

I'll be honest,since Brexit I'd not tried to buy from Europe can I ask did you have delivery and find there was more to pay or was it as per the website when you ordered?

I have had nothing extra to pay on delivery so far. The most expensive order included a Giro Ercole so was quite heavy, total cost just over £400. This was in June last year and no extra tax then. Last order was June this year for about £150ish, again, no extra duty on delivery. Delivery was pretty quick too I think, in the order of about a week.

Malcolm 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

I have had nothing extra to pay on delivery so far. The most expensive order included a Giro Ercole so was quite heavy, total cost just over £400. This was in June last year and no extra tax then. Last order was June this year for about £150ish, again, no extra duty on delivery. Delivery was pretty quick too I think, in the order of about a week.

Malcolm 

Thanks again Malcolm, I might be tempted to try it now.😀

• Like 1

I have a Tak FS128 and fitted it with an MEF 3 micro focuser about 3 years ago. I bought mine used but in excellent condition from this forum and have been delighted with it. Very smooth and makes fine focusing at high powers much easier.

Mine also has the original big clamshell for the tube (which has a 145mm ID compared to your new Taks' (I believe) 95mm)..I love the clamshell, it's safe, secure and holds the big tube on my scope perfectly.

I do think your new Tak deserves high end eyepieces once funds allow: I use a combination of Morpheus, Pentax and Celestron Axiom LX (the latter are probably too heavy for your scope). The Pentax and Morpheus are excellent, as are the Tak LE range and many observers also really rate the various Tele Vue ranges such as Delite, Delos etc. So plenty of options, and eyepieces bought in good used condition can offer very good value.

I also have an SP mount, (should be great for your Tak), and on mine I use a Skywatcher counterweight which I painted in Wilko Sage Green and I believe is around 2.5 kg or so..

Enjoy your new Tak!

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/12/2022 at 22:01, ukskies said:

The MEF focuser TBH is under consideration but I'm not quite sure about it yet, from what little research I've done online it seems a bit like Marmite tho Doctor D (for one) loves it. Hence 'm going to try the standard focuser first and then decide what to do. Can I assume though that you have or had the MEF and like(d) it? If so what did impress you about it?

The fine focus is a must with these scopes, not just if imaging but for critical focus at high power, and they do take high power very well. The MEF is a bit pricey, like all the Tak gear but MoreBlue (Japan) make a version and I think FLO can get them. It's a cheaper option but is very good quality, I don't have Takahashi but I do have the Vixen dual-speed add-on and I also have the MoreBlue Vixen version. Sorry Vixen but the MoreBlue is better and less expensive. The Tak focusers use an 8mm shaft whereas Vixen use a 6mm shaft so they can't be interchanged.

Nice scope!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations @ukskies on your purchase, I'm sure you will be very, very pleased with it!!  

I plumped for the FC-100DL and absolutely love it, the only thing I've added is a Starlight Instruments Feather Touch Pinion Focuser as the standard Tak focuser whilst good didn't provide that extra micro tweak I need, also its beautifully engineered, easy to fit and IMO compliments the original Tak focuser housing, on the downside is the cost!  

More Blue do a FT focuser similar to the MEF-3 and used to be cheaper? I've fitted one to my Tak FS-60Q and am very happy with it, there's a thread I started last year all about it.

Further to this I had my Tak for over a year before I added that FT focuser, others have commented that they find the stock focuser entirely adequate and you might have same thoughts after you have some time with it.

IMG_4262.jpeg

IMG_4263.jpeg

Edited by jock1958
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, F15Rules said:

I have a Tak FS128 and fitted it with an MEF 3 micro focuser about 3 years ago. I bought mine used but in excellent condition from this forum and have been delighted with it. Very smooth and makes fine focusing at high powers much easier.

Mine also has the original big clamshell for the tube (which has a 145mm ID compared to your new Taks' (I believe) 95mm)..I love the clamshell, it's safe, secure and holds the big tube on my scope perfectly.

I do think your new Tak deserves high end eyepieces once funds allow: I use a combination of Morpheus, Pentax and Celestron Axiom LX (the latter are probably too heavy for your scope). The Pentax and Morpheus are excellent, as are the Tak LE range and many observers also really rate the various Tele Vue ranges such as Delite, Delos etc. So plenty of options, and eyepieces bought in good used condition can offer very good value.

I also have an SP mount, (should be great for your Tak), and on mine I use a Skywatcher counterweight which I painted in Wilko Sage Green and I believe is around 2.5 kg or so..

Enjoy your new Tak!

Dave

Hi Dave and thanks for the advice and info I do appreciate  it. Quality eyepieces are on the shopping list once budget allows.

The Pentax and Morpheus are actually the ones I'm considering first, tho as I've just shelled out for the scope and a few other bits.they will have to be a future purchase. The Televue eyepieces are indeed lovely and top quality is guaranteed but heck they ain't arf expensive.

Thing is I had to save for a long time to afford the scope but I can probably afford to get an eyepiece each month so that's the plan.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Franklin said:

The fine focus is a must with these scopes, not just if imaging but for critical focus at high power, and they do take high power very well. The MEF is a bit pricey, like all the Tak gear but MoreBlue (Japan) make a version and I think FLO can get them. It's a cheaper option but is very good quality, I don't have Takahashi but I do have the Vixen dual-speed add-on and I also have the MoreBlue Vixen version. Sorry Vixen but the MoreBlue is better and less expensive. The Tak focusers use an 8mm shaft whereas Vixen use a 6mm shaft so they can't be interchanged.

Nice scope!

8 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello. +1 for the MEF focuser. Fitted one a few weeks back to my Tak FS128.  Supplied by FLO. Yes. Not cheap but worth every penny. 

John  

7 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I have MEF’s on some of my Taks, including tge FC 100DZ. They work well.

I don’t have one on the FOA 60Q as the high focal ratio means the focus point is not quite so critical 

Hi guys and thank you all for posting your help and advice I really appreciate the help that is available on here.

The MEF focuser ,well I will want fine focus on the scope at some point but I have to budget my purchases a bit so I'm thinking that the decision of which fine focuser to choose can wait a bit.

I'm not against the MEF at all and really the cost doesn't bother me as that is just a time issue.

The MEF is one option and the Starlight instruments one is the other. Obviously the Tak one is favoured because it's a Tak one and is probably the way I'll go tbh because for example I wouldn't fit non BMW brake pads on my X3. I hadn't considered the more blue one so thanks for the suggestions and I will have a look at those.

Edited by ukskies
  • Like 3