Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter October 10th 2022 de-rotation in WinJupos

Nigella Bryant

3 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Hi all, just had the time to get my head around WinJupos and de-rotate some sequences of images taken on the 10/11th October. C11, 2.5x powermate, ADC and Zwo Asi 224MC. Still some more practice me thinks, lol. 

Looking good with some nice details. I like the second one, looks more natural. I hope you do not mind, I had a quick play with RGB balance and a touch of sharpening.

You may want to ask the mods to move it in the imaging section as you can get more feedback.

image.jpeg.b84e581eeae86d2eaf5c05e3bee651dc.jpeg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kon said:

Looking good with some nice details. I like the second one, looks more natural. I hope you do not mind, I had a quick play with RGB balance and a touch of sharpening.

You may want to ask the mods to move it in the imaging section as you can get more feedback.

image.jpeg.b84e581eeae86d2eaf5c05e3bee651dc.jpeg

Cool, thanks, don't mind people giving help. What did you do to tweak the image? What was the work flow? 

Thanks Kon

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Cool, thanks, don't mind people giving help. What did you do to tweak the image? What was the work flow? 

Thanks Kon

RGB balance in registax, next steps in Astrosurface: mild sharpening with noise reduction, colour noise reduction and increased saturation.

• Thanks 1

Hi Nigella,  you have a bit of speckle in the image, you can eliminate that with de-speckle in ps under noise...

But de-speckle before sharpening 

You get this if you push the wavelets a little too hard or have too high gain, what's your settings, are you using firecapture?

Edited by newbie alert
Added info
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Hi Nigella,  you have a bit of speckle in the image, you can eliminate that with de-speckle in ps under noise...

But de-speckle before sharpening 

You get this if you push the wavelets a little too hard or have too high gain, what's your settings, are you using firecapture?

Thanks, will watch out for that. No idea what my settings were. Yes I use firecapture.

Only just seen this Nigella and you’ve clearly taken to 

On 08/11/2022 at 17:02, Nigella Bryant said:

Hi all, just had the time to get my head around WinJupos and de-rotate some sequences of images taken on the 10/11th October. C11, 2.5x powermate, ADC and Zwo Asi 224MC. Still some more practice me thinks, lol. 

2022-10-10-2231UTellabryant-winjupos.png

2022-10-10-2236_winjupos.jpg

2022-10-10-2236_2-ch4-jup_lapl5_ap295-1.png

Hi Nigella, I’ve only just seen this thread and you’ve clearly got a handle on de-rotation pretty quickly. You got an excellent Jupiter already, especially if this is only your 2nd attempt. I prefer the 2nd of these 3 images as it’s the most natural looking, with loads of subtle detail showing. How many frames did you stack in each image before de-rotation, or did you de-rotate the video?

Lots of excellent advice here and as @neil phillips suggests, I too find that using the auto RGB balance in Registax does an excellent job. I will then use either PS, or AffinityPhoto to boost saturation / vibrancy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Only just seen this Nigella and you’ve clearly taken to 

Hi Nigella, I’ve only just seen this thread and you’ve clearly got a handle on de-rotation pretty quickly. You got an excellent Jupiter already, especially if this is only your 2nd attempt. I prefer the 2nd of these 3 images as it’s the most natural looking, with loads of subtle detail showing. How many frames did you stack in each image before de-rotation, or did you de-rotate the video?

Lots of excellent advice here and as @neil phillips suggests, I too find that using the auto RGB balance in Registax does an excellent job. I will then use either PS, or AffinityPhoto to boost saturation / vibrancy.

Many thanks geoflewis, there were a set of 9 two minute vids stacked image's that were de-rotated. As I'm new to planetary imaging I'm never sure how much to sharpen and colour balance. Plus didn't no about denoise in autostakker, lol. All a new learning curve from solar imaging, lol. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Many thanks geoflewis, there were a set of 9 two minute vids stacked image's that were de-rotated. As I'm new to planetary imaging I'm never sure how much to sharpen and colour balance. Plus didn't no about denoise in autostakker, lol. All a new learning curve from solar imaging, lol. 

Thanks for the additional info. As you'll discover, how much to sharpen, denoise and what colour balance is something that will never leave you with planetary imaging (well that's my experience anyway). I think you did a great job with this first attempt, but you come from a great place with your stunning solar images.

• Thanks 1