NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Zoom eyepieces

Ceebee58

I have an Orion branded 8 to 24mm variable.  I will be the first to admit i don't use it like I used to.  It used to be in the scope all night long.  Now i use it more for just planetary stuff, it will still do Nebula and Galaxies, but i prefer my 2 inch eyepieces for that.  It is still a great general purpose eyepiece and i wouldnt be without one 

I have the OVL Hyperflex, which isn't quite as good as the Baader but is a lot cheaper. Same as Mike - I don't use it much now as my fixed f/l eyepieces give much wider fields of view and usually, a sharper image.

• Like 2

The Baader Hyperion Zoom is a great eyepiece, so much so that a lot of people get by with it alone, save for maybe a wide field eyepiece. It’s great for finding your best magnification for the seeing conditions. The quality of the images are also good, but will never match quality fixed focal length eyepieces. Whilst the Baader Zoom isn’t cheap, it’s certainly cheaper than buying three or four quality fixed eyepieces.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Louis D said:

That makes it $110 cheaper than buying it in the US.  Add in the fact FLO doesn't charge state sales tax, and you save even more.

I wonder what the customs fees would be on that 

I own the Baader Mark IV zoom a great ep as well as 3 Svbony zooms, they perform as well as the Baader for a lot less $'s in my various scopes. They are all perfect compliments to my fixed eyepieces on any given nite as a change of pace, a challenge for the night but if you want those wide, super wide hanging in space views of dso's then a zoom, no matter which brand, can never be your only eyepiece, just an occasional option ! Who would want to miss out hanging in space with your eyeballs taking it all in, even the best zooms can't do that ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

UK has VAT which is included in FLO's prices :wink2:

When ordering to ship to Germany (so I assume it's the same for other countries) FLO kindly remove the VAT at checkout which is awesome. I still have to pay VAT + customs charges at this end of course.

On the subject of zooms, I recently invested in the APM Superzoom 15.4mm-7.7mm which is definitely on the pricey side, but maintains the same AFOV, is almost parfocal through the range, and generally performs extremely well in all of my scopes. I still overall prefer fixed-length EPs but it's great when I don't want to drag everything out with me, or for some specific uses such as zooming into clusters  or other objects to find the right balance of mags/sky background darkness.

I bought a Baader Mk IV zoom a year or so ago because it’s the only zoom I could use for night vision astronomy. But I’ve been impressed with its performance for normal stargazing too. Yes it’s narrow at 24mm, and shows some field curvature and a small amount of edge astigmatism with the two scopes I’ve used it with so far, but it’s certainly pretty sharp. With a good barlow it really can be the only eyepiece you need below 16mm or so. I think it makes particular sense if you’re just starting out, and want a better alternative to stock eyepieces, or for travel. It’s the Ford Mondeo of eyepieces. Not as posh as those BMW Delos or Mercedes XWs, but a great all-rounder.

• Like 2

On 03/11/2022 at 13:23, Ceebee58 said:

Are eyepieces such as the Baader Hyperion zoom compromised too much to give the zoom function or are they still good eyepieces for general use ?

The main disadvantage is the apparent field only opens up to a wide field around 10mm and longer focal lengths are quite narrow.

Many measurements of the eyepiece give the range as 46° at 24mm to 68° at 8mm.

Many people add a widefield lower power eyepiece for wide views.

If you prefer widefield eyepieces (65°+), then separate eyepieces are recommended.  Or the APM Super Zoom (66-67° across the 7.7mm to 15.4mm range)

• Like 1

I find it really useful when trying to split tight doubles or say, when looking at the Trapezium in M42 and trying to hunt down stars E and F. Being able to quickly change magnification without faffing about with multiple eyepieces is great. That also makes it useful for planetary viewing and trying to gauge the best mag for the seeing conditions.

And in spring, when hunting down all the tiny faint galaxies in Leo and Virgo, it helps enormously by providing an range of different contrast.

But all this is applicable to zooms in general, not just the Baader.

• Like 2

On 03/11/2022 at 21:35, bosun21 said:

The Baader Hyperion Zoom is a great eyepiece, so much so that a lot of people get by with it alone, save for maybe a wide field eyepiece. It’s great for finding your best magnification for the seeing conditions. The quality of the images are also good, but will never match quality fixed focal length eyepieces. Whilst the Baader Zoom isn’t cheap, it’s certainly cheaper than buying three or four quality fixed eyepieces.

Sound advice 

• Like 2