Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter with GRS - 6 Oct 2022

geoflewis

Seeing started out iffy, but got better as the evening progressed and Jupiter gained elevation. I captured SERs throughout most of the GRA transit, but here is an image from when GRS had passed the meridian and seeing was at about the best of the night.

2022-10-06-2335_5-GDL-F6000_R6_AFP.jpg.0de2dcb29df5c7ac532404d348de9f16.jpg

The images comprises 3 x 6min SERs quality cropped to best 6000 frames per SER in PIPP, de-rated in Jupos, stacked in AS3!, wavelets sharpened in Registax, with final tweaks in Affinity Photo, hence the final image has 18000 frames.

I have more data to review, but off for my flu jab then heading south to my daughter's for the weekend, so probablywon't get to those until next week, or maybe Sunday evening.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 19

40 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Seeing started out iffy, but got better as the evening progressed and Jupiter gained elevation. I captured SERs throughout most of the GRA transit, but here is an image from when GRS had passed the meridian and seeing was at about the best of the night.

2022-10-06-2335_5-GDL-F6000_R6_AFP.jpg.0de2dcb29df5c7ac532404d348de9f16.jpg

The images compres 3 x 6min SERs quality cropped to best 6000 frames per SER in PIPPs, de-rated in Jupos, stacked in AS3!, wavelets sharpened in Registax, with final tweaks in Affinity Photo, hence the final image has 18000 frames.

I have more data to review, but off for my flu jab then heading south to my daughter's for the weekend, so probablywon't get to those until next week, or maybe Sunday evening.

Thanks for looking.

Excellent Geof. You certainly have found your feet now. Lots of great detail on show. Think that looks better than the good data from you on the 2nd. You got your C14 Singing with the new camera. So now your friends with the camera. Its good, isn't it? Mono what mono

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Excellent Geof. You certainly have found your feet now. Lots of great detail on show. Think that looks better than the good data from you on the 2nd. You got your C14 Singing with the new camera. So now your friends with the camera. Its good, isn't it? Mono what mono

Thanks Neil, you were a good teacher 😉.  Indeed the camera is a game changer. Probably all I need now is a couple of parfocal filters, so that I can take advantage of its IR sensitivity, but that can wait.

Cheers, Geof

39 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Very nice Geof, you were up later than me I was fast asleep but the time the GRS hit the meridian :) 

Thanks Craig, yes, it was a long session, but the seeing improved so I stuck with it. I’m very late to the planetary party this year and so with a new camera I wanted to give it a long run out. GRS in transit was also just too temping.

Cheers, Geof

I got home from my weekend down south and have now processed the remainder of the SERs that I capture on the night of 6 October, so here's an annimation showing the full 2.5 hours elapse time. There are some limb artefacts coming through in the annimation, but hopefully it still shows how the seeing improved as Jupiter gained altitude, then fell away a tad after it transitted the meridian and clouds eventually brought my session to an end.

2022-10-06-2125_0-GDL-F6000_pipp.gif.b9a58f5e4d919e3757b96d7de511fc2c.gif

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

I got home from my weekend down south and have now processed the remainder of the SERs that I capture on the night of 6 October, so here's an annimation showing the full 2.5 hours elapse time. There are some limb artefacts coming through in the annimation, but hopefully it still shows how the seeing improved as Jupiter gained altitude, then fell away a tad after it transitted the meridian and clouds eventually brought my session to an end.

2022-10-06-2125_0-GDL-F6000_pipp.gif.b9a58f5e4d919e3757b96d7de511fc2c.gif

11 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Very Nice Geof. A lot of data well processed

Thanks Neil,

It's not looking good for tonight here, clouds have piled in over the last couple of hours. Could do with some shut eye though, so maybe not a bad thing.....

10 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Thanks Neil,

It's not looking good for tonight here, clouds have piled in over the last couple of hours. Could do with some shut eye though, so maybe not a bad thing.....

just checked and saw the same. Weather map looked fine. Will keep an eye out but it's not looking good. Just woke up. All dressed up. But the party might be cancelled 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Thanks Kon, that's very kind of you. I wish I could lose the limb artefacts in the animation, but I had some gaps during the capture runs, so had to push a bit to fill the gaps.

I see what you mean but it doesn't take away from a great animation, so smooth and the colours don't fluctuate between the different captures. You should be very happy with it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Stuart, yes, the C14 comes into its own once the seeing is good enough and the target has some altitude. I've just swapped to a colour camera after several years of mono, so received a lot of mentoring from @neil phillips from choice of camera, through to optimising capture and new processing techniques. Neil really got me running pretty quickly with this new camera.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, symmetal said:

More excellent images there Geof, especially the animation. 😀

Alan

Thanks Alan. The animation is a lot of work, but fun to do once in a while, when the seeing is consistent enough for a long run.

• Like 1