SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Berlebach Charon Observer's Chair

cajen2

I've had a succession of chairs and stools used for observing and they were all either too high, too low, too heavy or unstable...a couple have even collapsed! (ok, I'm a bit fat....)

I'd had enough. I'd always looked enviously at the Charon by Berlebach but told myself it was a silly price for a few bits of wood. Then, after my last chair debacle, my patience snapped and I ordered one. After all, it's only the price of an average eyepiece...😉

So it got its first 'light' tonight. Wow, talk about a game changer! It's easy to fold, unfold, carry and adjust. The seat is comfortable (if slightly small) and the sloping back gives good support when resting or using binoculars. I was getting fussy, moving the seat up by a couple of inches and down by a couple more - any height is easy. The top setting is higher than my bum and I'm 6' 4"! Great for people with huge dobs, I'd guess.

All in all, and I never thought I'd say this, it's worth every penny. 100% recommended and one of my best ever astro buys.

IMG_20220927_142234.thumb.jpg.d584a63649ce633a49a085ceb7151715.jpg

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 15

Very nice! I agree about a good observing chair being a game changer. The Berlebach is a quality piece of kit. I bought a Nadira observing chair after years of standing, and have never looked back. I think the Berlebach looks more stable and more comfortable with its padded seat - something I might have to add to the Nadira. I was also worried that the spaced slots would not give enough adjustment, but turned out to be just fine in the field.

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I think any decent seat is the real game changer, but that BB does look nice.

I like Rob above have the Nadira and am most happy with it, but I also se a 40 year old MFI stool as well at times.

Smells nice too. At least while the wood is newish 

• Like 1

One of the Berlebach chairs is on my shopping list as a next purchase. Like @cajen2 I have been putting it on the back burner for a while now. I guess I’ll save myself a lot of aches and pains in my back caused by maneuvering a variety of chairs and stools into strange angles. Oh! and I’ll save the money I spend on radox bath salts.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My svelte 6' 2", 13+ stone,  frame has been trying to test a Charon for 6 yrs and it has not given an inch.  At the very lowest settiing it pays not to lean forward. On the other hand it takes no space in the boot as you can stick stuff on top.

The Bauhaus of astronomy chairs 🥸

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Looks ideal for trapping and breaking fingers in between the front and rear sections.

Actually that is something I've learnt to be careful with, using my Berleback Nix chair... very easy to get fingers caught when folding it up, stings a bit, especially when they're a cold 😬😁

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Aah..hidden at the back.

Looks ideal for trapping and breaking fingers in between the front and rear sections.

Hope you know where your nearest A&E is..😋😂

Not at all Dave. There is a handle slot in the front, too. This matches the one in the back, so your fingers go all the way through. Cunning these German woodworkers 

B2C81BEB-31B0-4341-AF8F-6DE895D2BDD6.jpeg.280d5c2b4a8b982748b79c9f82760768.jpeg

• Like 3

On 06/12/2022 at 15:27, HollyHound said:

very easy to get fingers caught when folding it up, stings a bit, especially when they're a cold 😬😁

My Charon never bites the hand that feeds it, must be the deep mutual respect we have for each other 😍🥰.  One (normal sized) hand goes through the two slots to pick it up, my other hand flicks the stay up and it claps shut. I normally do this in the dark, and without thinking. Now I will be thinking about it and get a finger caught 🥴

• Haha 3

Hi I was very interested in reading the review on the Charon chair. Been thinking of getting one as a Christmas present to myself. Have a couple of questions though if anyone can help please?

1. With the frame opened fully (i.e. in its typical observing configuration) what is the front-to-back distance at the base? I'm a little short on space so it would reassure me to know its footprint

2. What are the dimensions of the seat (again when in its observing configuration)?

It's a toss-up between the Charon and the Geoptik chairs (the latter possibly having the smaller footprint as its rear leg hinges midway down rather than the top). I'm flip-flopping between the two at the moment and ideally need some data :)

Many thanks!