NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

GRS August 24th

neil phillips

Surprised that the little scope is showing so much structure in and around the GRS a couple of streams can be clearly seen connecting. 

Stella Lyra 7.3 CC ZWO ADC. Celestron Omni 2X Barlow screwed straight into the ADC Baader UV IR cut QHY 462 C SW EQ5 pro mount. 90 % of  Capture size

03_07_16 GRS 24TH AUG CC..png 90.png B.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 32

Hi Neil, very good images! Since we use a very similar equipment, I'm interested in some details:

• which is the frame-rate or exposure time of the recording? and how many frames?
  • which is the value of the gain used during the recording. In similar settings I use between 100 and 130 with the QHY462, is also you case?

7 hours ago, Maurizio83 said:

Hi Neil, very good images! Since we use a very similar equipment, I'm interested in some details:

• which is the frame-rate or exposure time of the recording? and how many frames?
  • which is the value of the gain used during the recording. In similar settings I use between 100 and 130 with the QHY462, is also you case?

Hi Maurizio the frame rate on the top image was 250 FPS At 1/250s exposure. The middle image was half that, so 125 FPS at 1/125secs exposure or 8ms. Gain was 243 for the bottom image.

And i am stacking a lot, especially at 1/250 secs exposure. As noise dominates. My stack sizes vary. But at 1/125secs think around 12000 at least. At 1/250 secs exposure. I stacking double that so plus 20.000 frames sometimes more sometimes less. 5 Min video de rotation enables even more.

5.30 min video de rotation 59.000 frames

2022-08-24-0137_6-DeRot_ 70.png 60.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dweller25 said:

That’s a really good image Neil.

It would be interesting to post a single frame to show how it looked visually.

I certainly can David. But to be honest it wont tell you much. Especially with a small 7.3 size mirror. With the exposures and gain I am at. the image looks very grainy. Its not the individual frames that tell the story. But more the sum of the parts, in this case. Many thousands of frames. If I show you a single frame. you will think it could not produce the images here. But of course 20.000 frames is a different story. I will extract one if you wish. but it will not tell you anything. Apart from how noisy the individual frames actually are. But I can if you want

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

I am just trying to get feel for how Jupiter looked visually compared to a processed image, or are you saying you can see more than what a single frame shows ?

A single frame looks awful David. Though when viewing live on screen, because its running as a live view. your not seeing a single frame. As such its not quite so bad. with moments of clarity coming through a rather grainy and uninspiring view 

02_56_10_f10009.png single.png

1/125secs exposure

01_45_56_f10062.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

The virtues of noise reduction. Via stacking many thousands of frames

y’now it’s not that long ago that even professional observatories would have been happy with images like these Neil 👍

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

y’now it’s not that long ago that even professional observatories would have been happy with images like these Neil 👍

Agreed. lets go back further, Galileo would have been stunned. Newton looking at the design and materials of the scope would have been studying it with intense concentration. Probably would have got up to speed with modern optics, Very Quickly.

This may well be the best 7" class medium size scope ive owned. That's my current perception. My primary dews over easy though. Something i have to be aware of