SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Go look at the sun right now if you can!

vineyard

Yes it was that bit flying off - for the 20-25 mins or so that I was watching it went from something that looked big & bold but just about tenuously attached to the disk to a wisp like thing jettisoned off into the darkness, gone forever.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, vineyard said:

Yes it was that bit flying off - for the 20-25 mins or so that I was watching it went from something that looked big & bold but just about tenuously attached to the disk to a wisp like thing jettisoned off into the darkness, gone forever.

Just saw animation that @Craney linked above - it really shot off like a projectile in the end!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Just saw animation that @Craney linked above - it really shot off like a projectile in the end!

Yes it was crazy how relatively fast that was happening - just thinking about the staggering amounts of energy that must have been in flux there and then in such a short period of time and across so much volume of space.  You always hear how solar observation can be so dynamic - that's not wrong!

It was also v interesting clocking the etalon - it really changed what could be seen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Magnetic flux is really building up now. 

I'm part way through reading Viladrich et al "Solar Astronomy" - its fascinating stuff.  I had no idea about how the temperature changes so much, and the role the magnetic flux plays (including in pushing the coronal temperatures to 1 million Kelvin!)😲

• Like 1