SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M16 Eagle Nebula: My FIRST eagle nebula - all 20 mins of it!!! Now with Ha replaced with asi1600 Ha

powerlord

Man, I've been wanting to image this since I started. Wasn't in a position to last year - managed a whole TWO 10 minute subs last night with my C925 and 6.3FF and my asi533 with L-extreme.

Unfortunately that's all I get from when it appears from behind a tree, till it gets too bright in the morning.

Clearly there is a limit to what I'm gonna be able to do with 20 mins... but I'm still chuffed - it's the eagle Nebula! - Pillars of Creation!! 🙂

eagle.thumb.jpg.d527efb56ba4652641300ae3f5748a4a.jpg

Edited by powerlord
  • Like 26

thanks, I'll be honest, with a nearly full moon and being so low in the sky (21 degrees or so I think it was) I didn't have high hopes. I shot the first few frames and got nothing at all, and was going to give up when I realised I'd stuck NGC6605 instead of NGC6611.

I thought I might get an hour in what with sunrise being at 5am, but not a chance. It's just not in a great position to image from my garden. Hopefully I'll get away to a dark site soon and have another chance at it. As you can see- my garden is pretty useless for it.

Screenshot_20220512_153222_com.simulationcurriculum.skysafari6plus.jpg

Edited by powerlord

Love this. This is the target I've most wanted to image since starting with astrophotography. I just remember seeing the Hubble image for the first time, and being blown away. 

However, being so low in the sky and behind next doors house, I've never attempted it. I might make an effort to go up to my parents in laws house to give it a go after seeing this. They have less light pollution, and a much less restricted view of the sky.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daf1983 said:

Love this. This is the target I've most wanted to image since starting with astrophotography. I just remember seeing the Hubble image for the first time, and being blown away. 

However, being so low in the sky and behind next doors house, I've never attempted it. I might make an effort to go up to my parents in laws house to give it a go after seeing this. They have less light pollution, and a much less restricted view of the sky.

Yeh last year around now I didn't have the kit, but even if I did I thought it being so low, and such limited view it was a waste of time. Even last night I was in two minds whether it was worth the hassle.

Forecast clear for Friday night, so left things set up and can maybe double my integration time to 4 subs! 😂

47 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

That is incredible!

It never fails to amaze me when I see images like yours and know it was accomplished with equipment costing millions of dollars!

Well Ive spent a fair bit with FLO over the last year, but reckon its a bit less than that 😂

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, powerlord said:

Yeh last year around now I didn't have the kit, but even if I did I thought it being so low, and such limited view it was a waste of time. Even last night I was in two minds whether it was worth the hassle.

Forecast clear for Friday night, so left things set up and can maybe double my integration time to 4 subs! 😂

Speaking of kit, I only have the 80ED at the minute, so I'm guessing it's gonna be pretty widefield at that focal length😏 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Daf1983 said:

Speaking of kit, I only have the 80ED at the minute, so I'm guessing it's gonna be pretty widefield at that focal length😏 

haha. 'fraid so. even at 1480mm it's as above. I thought about using without the FF and just doing the pillars at 2350mm , but figured at F10 and with the limited time, it would have been a waste - though seeing was nice last night - some of my stars were FWHM 2ish which isn't usually the case with the SCT.

I did consider breaking out the big gun (SW 300PDS) but it's a bit of effort to trek the thing out there and set it up.. and for 20 mins I decided it wasn't worth it for the extra F1.4

5 minutes ago, powerlord said:

haha. 'fraid so. even at 1480mm it's as above. I thought about using without the FF and just doing the pillars at 2350mm , but figured at F10 and with the limited time, it would have been a waste - though seeing was nice last night - some of my stars were FWHM 2ish which isn't usually the case with the SCT.

I did consider breaking out the big gun (SW 300PDS) but it's a bit of effort to trek the thing out there and set it up.. and for 20 mins I decided it wasn't worth it for the extra F1.4

I'm gonna need a new scope then😬

• powerlord changed the title to M16 Eagle Nebula: My FIRST eagle nebula - all 20 mins of it!!! Now with Ha replaced with asi1600 Ha

So yesterday I shot 50 mins of Ha with the same OTA/FF but with my asi1600. I figured I could get more resolution that way.

I then stacked everything fresh but with the Ha and re-edited it all again.

I've tried to keep colours more or less the same. There is definately far more detail in the pillars, so I'm please with that experiment I reckon. I'm going to continue to collect integration time now with the asi1600 in Oiii and Sii and remove the asi533 OSC data if the weather is kind!

eaglewithHa.thumb.jpg.920b27cee3cc55b9176c103bd5c1a449.jpg

• Like 3