Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Weatherproof rig cover...what do you guys use?

Hi All,

I don't want nor would the wife allow a permanent rig enclosure in the garden but I would like something that would enable me to keep the rig covered when not in use, especially during the summer when hopefully the weather is less likely to freeze, etc. I saw a tent available, designed to house with a scope with a removable top cover but that was very large. What do you guys use?

Cheers
Daz

I have a permanent pier in the garden and I cover the mount with an upturned plastic dustbin and a Telegizmo 356 cover. The cover was too long for the height of my set up so I trimmed a foot off the bottom.

Telegizmo do covers that will work on most set ups though they are not cheap.

I use a Telegizmos 365 cover with my SCT- it’s been outside for 12 months with no issues as yet… If there’s been a lot of dew on the OTA during an observing session I’ll try to lift the cover next day to make sure the scope dries…but otherwise it’s been trouble free- even through the recent storms…

I use a motorbike clamshell cover which are available in 3 sizes (available from Amazon, Ebay and I am sure other sellers). I leave my rig setup permanently and it has survived 70mph wind and torrential rain. I have bolted my cover to a concrete pan, but for occasional use a weighted bag at each corner would suffice. It can be picked up and moved quite easily or dismantled and folded away. Excuse the ramshackle cabling, etc. in the photo, this was part way through setup.IMG_20220208_184234_744.thumb.jpg.7dce1afa7fa9c78f2298ab3966aa74c5.jpg

• Like 3

A sturdy BBQ cover which has D-hooks to attach it firmly to the mount or to tent pegs in the ground.

I keep my EQ5 this way outside from May to September, no issues so far. Just make sure to lift the cover on a sunny day to let any condensation dry out. 

In winter I try to bring it in the shed whenever I can, since the garden is perpetually damp most days and I worry about moisture getting in the optics, especially in the closed designs like Maks.

34 minutes ago, dazzystar said:

What about condensation

If you have a close fitting, non-breathable cover then that will be a problem. Using the clamshell cover nothing is touching the kit so condensation generally isn't a problem. However the kit is most likely to be covered in dew when in use so probably best to leave the kit to dry off before sticking a bag over it. Thus back to the clamshell; there is sufficient air around the kit for the dew to evaporate albeit slowly at times.

I keep my mount outside year round, under a mass produced heavy duty, large outdoor furniture cover from Amazon. I wouldn't recommend the cheapest ones, but I've found the premium ones to work well, and are much cheaper than anything dedicated to telescopes.

I've left my OTA out under one of these in the summer for a few days whilst the weather is good, but tend to bring it in if the forecast is bad. 

Edited by rnobleeddy