Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Very tiny minor scratches and pinpricks on solar filter.

So some time ago I discovered little tiny minor scratches and pinpricks on my solar filter. I even got it when I just made my solar filters.

I use Baader Solar film.

They are visible when I hold my solar filters to the sun or bright lights.

Will this make an impact to my eyes and camera(s)?

Diagram:

image.png.01c79186b6a6d7090b0430a6c151dedf.png

Edited by WilliamAstro

2 hours ago, dweller25 said:

In my opinion your solar film is not safe to us as it is.

it commonly happens as well amongst solar filters.

im using baader

according to thousand oaks,

Pinholes and minor surface scratches are common in glass solar filters; however, our multi-coating technique keeps them to a minimum. A “bright” pinhole in the coating may cause “ghosting” due to scattered light. If this is seen during observation, the pinhole(s) should be blocked out. Block out any pinholes on inside surface facing telescope. Hold the filter 1-2 feet in front of a 50-100 soft white light bulb. Blocking can be done using a fine point felt marker. There is no danger if a few pinholes or minor scratches are present. The touch-up(s) will not lessen the optical performance. Small pinholes need not be blocked if not causing an image problem.

It does happen, it thins in places over time. If the pin prick isn't actually a hole then it should be OK (at least for your camera). I there are holes and/or rust spots, then replace as the integrity has gone. If you have doubts, replace.

Edited by NiCo10

I do agree, if you have a refractor, a Herschel wedge is a much better solution; safer in my eyes (🤪) and also gives better quality images. The Lunt 1.25” wedges are not expensive (in the grand scheme of astronomy) and well worth it, particularly when bought used. Just make sure you fully understand how they should be used and that the correct filters are fitted into it before using ie minimum ND3.0 plus either a polarising or continuum filter.

2 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

The Lunt has a built in ND3 you can't remove :smile:

Trouble is, some that look very similar do not, or they can be removed, so it’s always essential to check, especially if buying used.

Herschel wedges used to be cheap. The Lunt 2” is now £434!! It has rocketed in price over the past couple of years. At least with the Baader Coolwedge you’re getting a 2” clicklock and 2” continuum filter, in addition to the ND. 
Admittedly the Lunt 1.25” wedge is just about affordable (£200, though this has risen too), but much better value is the Lacerta. It’s a nice unit too. No need to pay Lunt prices.  
Totally agree with other posts - much better going for a wedge than film. Grab the Lacerta if it’s available.

Completely agree with the previous posters here.

Worth noting that to safely view the sun with human eyes it requires reflecting 99.999% of sunlight, whereas it is around 99.99% for cameras.

If you let more energy than that to the camera you risk wrecking your camera sensor, or your eyesight if you look through it. 

13 hours ago, WilliamAstro said:

So some time ago I discovered little tiny minor scratches and pinpricks on my solar filter. I even got it when I just made my solar filters.

I use Baader Solar film.

They are visible when I hold my solar filters to the sun or bright lights.

Will this make an impact to my eyes and camera(s)?

Diagram:

image.png.01c79186b6a6d7090b0430a6c151dedf.png

In opinion solar film is not safe. Buy a solar wedge for the sake of your eyes. 

Adam 

Edited by Adam J

4 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

Adam, et al,

Baader solar film is 100% safe to use if it is properly looked after and secured to the telescope.

My Baader film is over 15 years old and still as good as the day I bought it.

It's the two ifs that are my problem. Way better to have something that fails safe. Let's say it was a 1/1000 chance of an accident over a lifetime of use. That's too much risk for me. Things can get damaged without realising, sure you can spend your life triple checking but that in itself would still be too much stress for me. 

And if not for that then the image quality is also superior. 

Adam 

Edited by Adam J