Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Elon Musk SpaceX rocket on collision course with moon

StarryEyed

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get over how careless this all sounds. Smash a rocket into the Moon like it's just a dumping ground and the cheapest way to dispose of spent technology.  It certainly doesn't encourage me to by his Internet offering.

I watch a Canadian guy's channel on YouTube who lives out in the boonies who has just bought a Starlink receiver and he was concerned when the set up started using 150 Watts of his precious solar power to heat the dish up to prevent snow and ice accumulating.

Thanks however for the heads up on this.

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 3

From what I have read, the rocket was not intended to hit the moon. It was out of fuel and therefore uncontrollable.
So we shouldn't criticise the company. Unless it was lack of forethought when planning the mission.
At least after crashing, it won't be a hazard to other spacecraft.

Is it a bit like when I throw cans, bottles and food wrappers out of my moving car and fail to hit a bin.
I usually manage to reach the roadside hedge so they aren't a hazard to other road users.
The recyclable content is there for anyone to pick up and maybe get a bit of money on the metal? So maybe it isn't dumped?🤣

Edited by Carbon Brush
  • Like 1

This is the guy who thought it appropriate to launch his car into space. Sure, a great wheeze, but there is no positive reason for essentially littering space with the most biologically dirty and active item ever to be released into the vacuum of space.

• Like 1

Seems they got it wrong... 

"Astronomers say that a rocket section set to crash into the Moon in March did not come from Elon Musk's space exploration company as they first thought. Instead they believe it is probably a Chinese rocket stage launched for a lunar mission in 2014."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60378119

• Like 2

On 08/02/2022 at 16:23, Carbon Brush said:

From what I have read, the rocket was not intended to hit the moon. It was out of fuel and therefore uncontrollable.
So we shouldn't criticise the company. Unless it was lack of forethought when planning the mission.
At least after crashing, it won't be a hazard to other spacecraft.

Is it a bit like when I throw cans, bottles and food wrappers out of my moving car and fail to hit a bin.
I usually manage to reach the roadside hedge so they aren't a hazard to other road users.
The recyclable content is there for anyone to pick up and maybe get a bit of money on the metal? So maybe it isn't dumped?🤣

I'm hoping this is all satire and irony too! :D

• Like 1

On 27/01/2022 at 22:57, Skipper Billy said:

It's going to hit the dark side of the Moon in any case. 

As astronomers we all know the moon has no dark side. The side facing away from the earth receives just as much sunlight as the side we can see.

In any case, it look like we owe Elon an apology...

https://spacenews.com/chinese-rocket-not-falcon-9-linked-to-upper-stage-on-lunar-impact-trajectory/

It seems that the whole story is incorrect, a Chinese rocket seems to be the one ending at the Moon:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/02/actually-a-falcon-9-rocket-is-not-going-to-hit-the-moon/

This happens all the time, really - but everybody is quick to blame Elon for anything (and let's not speak about Chinese boosters falling on their villages full of UDMH and other nasty stuff...)

N.F.

• Like 1

OK apologies to Mr Musk. not your fault on this one.
Perhaps now this one is dealt with, you will have the time to visit the starlink factory with a can of matte black paint, and some radio retuning kit.🤔

As for my earlier comments on recycling. I leave those to the readers for their own interpretation🤣

You don't want a black Starlink satellite, it'll raise temperature very fast and cook everything inside.

These low orbit satellites are not a problem, because these enter the earth shadow faster and leave it later than higher orbit satellites. Only case these may reflect light are during the dusk and dawn, when these are being hit by sun rays.

Airliners are more of a problem, due to their strobe lights etc.

N.F.