Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Have a go at trying to spot the JWST

Sorry if this a bit of a fraudulent post, as I can't be certain the JWST is on here.

This is an animation of 4 frames covering around 40 mins taken at 20:45 to 21:25 on 29.12.21 with the  Esprit 150/QHY268c, resolution 0.714 arcsec/pixel,  each sub 120 secs. The scope was pointing initially at RA 06 hrs 08 mins 55 secs, DEC -0 deg 13 mins 44 sec, I say initially because I was imaging through frequent clouds and the guiding was lost on numerous occasions, hence the drift evident in the animation. Please have a go and do reply if you find anything, needless to say I have been looking for a while and found no likely candidates...  JWST-29_12_21.thumb.gif.adeb6a76fd833ebe776f82b7fc41fc8c.gif

1 hour ago, tomato said:

Sorry if this a bit of a fraudulent post, as I can't be certain the JWST is on here.

This is an animation of 4 frames covering around 40 mins taken at 20:45 to 21:25 on 29.12.21 with the  Esprit 150/QHY268c, resolution 0.714 arcsec/pixel,  each sub 120 secs. The scope was pointing initially at RA 06 hrs 08 mins 55 secs, DEC -0 deg 13 mins 44 sec, I say initially because I was imaging through frequent clouds and the guiding was lost on numerous occasions, hence the drift evident in the animation. Please have a go and do reply if you find anything, needless to say I have been looking for a while and found no likely candidates...  JWST-29_12_21.thumb.gif.adeb6a76fd833ebe776f82b7fc41fc8c.gif

I found something but have no idea how to mark it up on the gif…🤔🤔

Ok, so two images one with the white elongated mark showing and one without, this is actually flashing completely on and off in the gif, I realise the whole gif goes dim and bright, but this mark actually goes on and off, it sits between two stars as I have marked up…and is in the left bottom quarter around the middle of that area…

E0A02449-66C6-4340-B6F8-16EEDB6A21AD.jpeg

DF845AD8-2958-4922-9282-FB895F19D646.jpeg

Edited by Stuart1971

Thanks for this, it could explain a lot. This is the site where I obtained the co-ordinates from for my local time and location:

https://unistellaroptics.com/observe-jwst/

Maybe not the most reliable?

Is that my image you have overlaid the grid? May I ask how you solved it, as I couldn’t solve it using the Pixinsight Imagesolver script no matter I hard I tried.

18 minutes ago, tomato said:

Thanks for this, it could explain a lot. This is the site where I obtained the co-ordinates from for my local time and location:

https://unistellaroptics.com/observe-jwst/

Maybe not the most reliable?

Is that my image you have overlaid the grid? May I ask how you solved it, as I couldn’t solve it using the Pixinsight Imagesolver script no matter I hard I tried.

I've just checked that website v Sky Safari for my own location and it's currently 2' out on RA and 8' on Dec. So not far off. A decent fov should be able to grab it.

I also couldn't solve in Pixinsight. I used nova.astrometry.net to blind solve and once it gets the result you can download the image in fits format from the table on the right hand side. I didn't know you could do that until this evening. Wasted half an hour with Pixinsight solver. A bit daft how it can't blind solve.

I blind solved the image successfully with Astrometry.net and then used the co-ordinates of a named star in the FOV to try and solve it in the PI script, but it still wouldn’t have it. 

I’m not sure how much effect the parallax would have, I used my post code in the unistellaroptics site and it seemed to identify my location.

I had both scopes imaging on the dual rig so I will produce a deeper animation, but I am coming round to the conclusion that I wasn’t imaging the required location on the sky.😵💫

29 minutes ago, tomato said:

I blind solved the image successfully with Astrometry.net and then used the co-ordinates of a named star in the FOV to try and solve it in the PI script, but it still wouldn’t have it. 

In the results page on Astrometry, you can download your solved image as a fits file and the coords are already embedded when you open it with PI. I just used the Annotation script without solving it again in PI.

Thanks to @david_taurus83 I have annotated the animation FOV. Based on the co-ordinates I used as David has indicated, the JWST lies just outside the FOV...

Now I have to wait for the clouds to shift and of course the scope will be that much further away, but might be a bit more reflective if the sun shield has deployed?

Image1_Annotated.thumb.jpg.05baaf5d76db9eba2bb1271331541ad4.jpg

• Like 1

It would be easier if you registered the frames before making the video.  That's what I did on my capture of JWST.

Yes it will be getting fainter and fainter.  I am not sure what the magnitude of it will be at L2.  Long exposures would be needed I imagine.

Edited by kirkster501

Here was my capture of it with TEC140 and Atik 460 on 29th December.  Coordinates from the JPL Horizons Ephemeris tool and I am acquainted well with this tool and have captured other stuff like asteroids from it.  It is 100% the JWST.

This video also in the JWST terror thread.

• Like 3

Thanks for the video, great work!  I have had another go at imaging it tonight but not holding my breath, given how faint it was on your capture. 

I don’t have much faith in the ephemeris tool I was using either, moral of that tale is don’t use the first hit that comes up on Google.