NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

registax 5 tryout

neil phillips

I havent got the best out of it yet, im no registax expert by far. But so far i like it. i love the frame scan to show the edges of the avi

and estimate align points seems bette,r ive used that on here. I expect great things when i have a avi that will do it justice easier to understand than avi stack, which i havent gone to school over yet. but may one day. cheers guys

fantastic detail !

I still have to delve into webcam imaging, the thought is daunting !!!

Webcam imaging has a bit of a learning curve. Martin Mobberley's excellent book on the subject certainly helps.

I think the two best pieces of acquisition software for a normal webcam are k3CCDTools and Astrosnap Pro. Both are reasonably priced and give tangible benefits over the manufacturer-supplied software for webcam image acquisition.

For stacking software, Registax and Avistack are both superb pieces of software (regardless of price). What is even more amazing is that they are free.

IMHO part of the problem (as well as the main benefit) is that the software has been written by webcam imagers for webcam imagers. The interfaces are complex and technical and this can put off beginners. What both Regsitax and Avistack could do with the option to have a simplified interface where the user simply chooses the type of image they are trying to stack (lunar or planetary), and maybe such things as a crude estimate of seeing conditions and how fast they want the processing to be, then let the software take all the other decsions. this may not arrive at the best final image, but the beginner will at least have a final iamge. They can learn the nuances of the software later.

K3CCDTools and Astrosnap could also do with options of simplified inetrfaces.

Fantastic images Neil.

I understand what you mean about a simpler interface for novices to w/cam imaging, v4 wracked my brain till it hurt, however, speaking for myself I just kind of did a little at a time and started using features within it as confidence is gained. A simple interface would still leave a novice having to learn their way around, and I'm still no expert !

Neil, have you had a go with the variable user-defined alignment boxes yet ??

Karlo

I'm finding that learning curve still very steep after 1yr...maybe a wizard interface would be the answer. K3CCD has a planetary wizard in the sequence processing tab. I can get the stacking done no probs, but the Levels, Curves, histograms, stretching, median this, and drizzle that fries my brain.:lol:

Webcam imaging has a bit of a learning curve. Martin Mobberley's excellent book on the subject certainly helps.

I think the two best pieces of acquisition software for a normal webcam are k3CCDTools and Astrosnap Pro. Both are reasonably priced and give tangible benefits over the manufacturer-supplied software for webcam image acquisition.

For stacking software, Registax and Avistack are both superb pieces of software (regardless of price). What is even more amazing is that they are free.

IMHO part of the problem (as well as the main benefit) is that the software has been written by webcam imagers for webcam imagers. The interfaces are complex and technical and this can put off beginners. What both Regsitax and Avistack could do with the option to have a simplified interface where the user simply chooses the type of image they are trying to stack (lunar or planetary), and maybe such things as a crude estimate of seeing conditions and how fast they want the processing to be, then let the software take all the other decsions. this may not arrive at the best final image, but the beginner will at least have a final iamge. They can learn the nuances of the software later.

K3CCDTools and Astrosnap could also do with options of simplified inetrfaces.

thanks for taking the time out to explain and give a few pointers , I appreciate that. I will , soon , take the plunge :lol:

Archived