Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The brontosaurus nebula

wimvb

This dark cloud in the sky reminds me of the brontosaurus scene in Jurassic Park, where one of the big dinosaurs stands on its hind legs to reach for leaves in the high canopy of a tree.

TGU_H809_RGB_v2_rotated.thumb.jpg.72529b0387225ee897d49caebc44b8b3.jpg

The image shows part of Lynds' bright nebula complex LBN 603; LDN 1295, LDN1296 and Tokyo Gakugei University catalogue index H809.

Data for this image was collected during three unexpectedly clear nights in early November, and consists of 15 hours of RGB data. Clear nights in this case meant that there were high clouds and on one occasion ground fog. Fortunately my observatory is on a slope above the local fields. But the moisture resulted in soft halos around the brightest stars.

As usual, captured with my 190MN on an AZ-EQ6 mount and a ZWO ASI294MM camera with Optolong RGB filters. On average 5 hours per channel.

Processed in PixInsight.

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 33

Nice Wim!

According to some animal physiologists, Brontosaurus could not even lift up their neck very far to grase on trees since it would have demanded a rediculously high blood pressure to provide the brain with blood, and even if they had a heart that could do this that would probably blow the arteries in their legs. It may be that they used their long neck for grasing under water.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gorann said:

Nice Wim!

According to some animal physiologists, Brontosaurus could not even lift up their neck very far to grase on trees since it would have demanded a rediculously high blood pressure to provide the brain with blood, and even if they had a heart that could do this that would probably blow the arteries in their legs. It may be that they used their long neck for grasing under water.

Jurassic park was hardly a documentary. Pretty impressive CG effects though, at the time.

So this diving Bronto would be more accurate? Or didn't they swim at all? At least the image has correct orientation.

TGU_H809_RGB_v2.thumb.jpg.092e9b766518cce6ae5e9df8a42940cf.jpg

Edited by wimvb
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

Jurassic park was hardly a documentary. Pretty impressive CG effects though, at the time.

So this diving Bronto would be more accurate? Or didn't they swim at all? At least the image has correct orientation.

I see a left facing dinosaur now, head and short neck, leg(s) in bottom and long tail with a macehead thingy in the end. Im sure ive seen a dinosaur like that somewhere.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2021 at 11:24, wimvb said:

Thanks for the link, it is an interesting article. But I won't change the title of my post for it. 😉

Actually, the venerable brontosaurus was reinstated as a real dinosaur a few years back, so there is still hope for Pluto. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-brontosaurus-is-back1/

• Like 1

Great image, not captured with a RASA!

On the subject of the long neck, if they couldn’t lift it up due to blood circulation restrictions, why did it evolve? When I was at school the theory was these giants spent a lot of time in the water to help support their massive bulk, so maybe they did use it to graze weed growing under the surface.

Amazing what topics come up for discussion on this forum.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2021 at 13:51, wimvb said:

Gravity is his friend here😁. Regardless of whether he's grazing trees or diving it's a great image, time well spent.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Gravity is his friend here😁. Regardless of whether he's grazing trees or diving it's a great image, time well spent.

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Gravity is really the great enimy if you want to lift a long neck and still have some blood reaching your brain!

I know more about physics than dinosaur anatomy. And to get this thread back on track, I know that gravity is pulling those dark clouds in my image together, and will eventually give rise to new stars and new planets. Planets that, in time, may harbour their own dinosaurs.