NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mr Ridiculous

cajen2

47 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Great advice, Heather, thanks once more. I like the idea of a decent-brand zoom at least for now, as it'll give me some idea of what focal-length EPs will suit me and the dob, plus of course the convenience. Have you had any experience of the Baader wide-field Hyperion aspheric? Bit cheaper than the Morpheus...

The hyperions are not generally thought of as good in f5 'scopes, I've done a lot of research, believe me ! Very few eyepieces for low magnification views with wide fields give acceptable edges in an f5 or faster 'scope.

My choices came down to something from the explore scientific ranges,  or the Morpheus . While hoping something second hand would pop up , I noticed  positive reviews of the OVL Nirvanas, and bought the 16mm , under £90 and 82 degrees FOV. It so happens that experience has shown me I like the 15/16/17mm sort of range in the dob, it gives me the best contrast between faint fuzzies and my suburban , light polluted sky . I'm very happy with the Nirvana, and will defo. buy a 7mm when they are back in stock.

I also managed to buy an oldish,  good quality , now discontinued , 24mm 68 degree eyepiece second hand , which is roughly similar to the explore scientific 24mm 68 degree https://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-eyepieces/explore-scientific-68-degree-series-eyepieces.html , and it is really very good in the dob, and my other 'scopes too.

So, I'm sorted for wide field (24mm and 32mm plossl) and over equipped for mid range ( 15 and 18mm BSTs, 16mm Nirvana) . But it's taken me a while to get there !

53 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

The hyperions are not generally thought of as good in f5 'scopes, I've done a lot of research, believe me ! Very few eyepieces for low magnification views with wide fields give acceptable edges in an f5 or faster 'scope.

My choices came down to something from the explore scientific ranges,  or the Morpheus . While hoping something second hand would pop up , I noticed  positive reviews of the OVL Nirvanas, and bought the 16mm , under £90 and 82 degrees FOV. It so happens that experience has shown me I like the 15/16/17mm sort of range in the dob, it gives me the best contrast between faint fuzzies and my suburban , light polluted sky . I'm very happy with the Nirvana, and will defo. buy a 7mm when they are back in stock.

I also managed to buy an oldish,  good quality , now discontinued , 24mm 68 degree eyepiece second hand , which is roughly similar to the explore scientific 24mm 68 degree https://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-eyepieces/explore-scientific-68-degree-series-eyepieces.html , and it is really very good in the dob, and my other 'scopes too.

So, I'm sorted for wide field (24mm and 32mm plossl) and over equipped for mid range ( 15 and 18mm BSTs, 16mm Nirvana) . But it's taken me a while to get there !

Ok, Heather, you've convinced me,  I think the best thing I can do is just use the supplied cheapo EPs until I know a bit more about it 😄

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Ok, Heather, you've convinced me,  I think the best thing I can do is just use the supplied cheapo EPs until I know a bit more about it 😄

Low magnification is where the eyepieces faults get shown up, higher magnification ones are less of a problem, which s why I suggest an 8mm BST starguider, the consensus is that it and the 12mm BST are the best of the range, and you have to spend quite a bit more to get a substantial improvement. The stock 25mm is OK though, while the 10mm is less satisfactory.

But I think it's sensible  to be cautious. My first extra eyepiece was a 17mm plossl , with no idea (back in lockdown #1) if I'd perceive for myself any improvement over the stock eps I went for a focal length in between the 10 and 26, so even if it wasn't better, it would be a different magnification. It was sharper , clearer and altogether nicer, I got a 32mm plossl next,  and so the slippery slope began to slide me away from my money  ...

• Thanks 1

There, the deed is done! One 150mm dob is winging its way to me, courtesy of Auntie FLO...

No extra EPs yet.

Now brace yourselves for umpteen questions...

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, PXR5 said:

A 150mm Dob is a sweet spot, Enjoy! Easy to move, and f8 so a bit more forgiving on collimation. :)

Thanks, but actually it's an f/5 - the flextube version has a FL of 750mm.

• Like 1

I'll add my 10 pence worth to say Starsense Explorer is a simple and very effective means of finding things - I got it with a Celestron 114 reflector this time last year. The app is smple and quick to set up and very easy to use. Audio descriptions of what you are looking at and lots of other information to help build your knowledge. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Gogleddgazer said:

I'll add my 10 pence worth to say Starsense Explorer is a simple and very effective means of finding things - I got it with a Celestron 114 reflector this time last year. The app is smple and quick to set up and very easy to use. Audio descriptions of what you are looking at and lots of other information to help build your knowledge. 

Indeed, but not at nearly four times the price of the dob.....

Cheap dobs are indeed available for £60.00 or £70.00.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/celestron-firstscope-signature-series-moon-by-robert-reeves.html

Bit cheaper on Amazon but you wouldn’t be buying from a proper astro dealer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-21024-76-mm-Firstscope/dp/B001UQ6E4Y

Edited by johninderby

12 minutes ago, Gogleddgazer said:

The Celstron Starsense Explorer LT114  set me back £200, so I'd welcome a link to the vendor who is selling a dob for £50. 🤣

😄 No, I meant for the same aperture....the Starsense DX6 is £700-odd.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome. For a first scope I would spend less, and go for the dob. But why stick to a 6" dob, when an 8" won't take much more storage space (it will be a lot heavier)?

Edited by Ags

1 hour ago, Ags said:

Hi and welcome. For a first scope I would spend less, and go for the dob. But why stick to a 6" dob, when an 8" won't take much more storage space (it will be a lot heavier)?

Thanks, AG's, but you're too late! Scope's ordered. The 8" would be rather too large for the space I've earmarked, anyway.

Come on, people,  OP was initially comparing two 'scopes of the same aperture, made a point of saying a major factor was their  'severe shortage of storage space' and has now actually ordered the Heritage 150 ...

While you wait for the 'scope to arrive (and the clouds which will arrive in the box with it to disperse ...) if you've not already come across these links, have a look at this rather good free PDF which has a range of interesting targets possible to see in the UK, in less than dark skies, and with a small 'scope.The targets are rated gold/silver/bronze by a coloured bar  , with bronze the easiest . https://las-astro.org.uk/docs/Loughton_List_v2_0.pdf

a really good overview of the coming month http://www.whitby-astronomers.com/sky-notes

and binocular sky's excellent monthly newsletter https://binocularsky.com/newsletter/BinoSkyNL.pdf is not just for binoculars 🙂

Heather

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Funnily enough I came across the Whitby Astronomical society newsletter fairly recently as I was seeing what was going on in clubs  localish to me - very well put together isn’t it. 👍

Another weekend of dismal astronomy weather here…

17 minutes ago, Astro_Dad said:

Funnily enough I came across the Whitby Astronomical society newsletter fairly recently as I was seeing what was going on in clubs  localish to me - very well put together isn’t it. 👍

Another weekend of dismal astronomy weather here…

I came across it pre lockdown#1 , when I got home from a few days stay just down the coast , and though, gah ! I could have dropped in at one of their meetings ...

7 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Come on, people,  OP was initially comparing two 'scopes of the same aperture, made a point of saying a major factor was their  'severe shortage of storage space' and has now actually ordered the Heritage 150 ...

While you wait for the 'scope to arrive (and the clouds which will arrive in the box with it to disperse ...) if you've not already come across these links, have a look at this rather good free PDF which has a range of interesting targets possible to see in the UK, in less than dark skies, and with a small 'scope.The targets are rated gold/silver/bronze by a coloured bar  , with bronze the easiest . https://las-astro.org.uk/docs/Loughton_List_v2_0.pdf

a really good overview of the coming month http://www.whitby-astronomers.com/sky-notes

and binocular sky's excellent monthly newsletter https://binocularsky.com/newsletter/BinoSkyNL.pdf is not just for binoculars 🙂

Heather

Well done, Heather - you've come up trumps again!

BTW, are you really tiny? 😄