Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Decent views of Jupiter tonight - 27th Sept 2021

Stu

With an uncertain forecast, and rain showers around I didn’t risk putting the 130mm/AZ100 combo out tonight, but opted for a quick setup of the Tak/Giro-WR.

Remarkably given the storm we had last night, the seeing actually seems pretty good, with some nice detail coming through.

I’m hoping the conditions stay like this until GRS becomes visible in a little while.

Hope plenty of you are getting some great views.

81A69E5A-6AA9-4C69-BB91-A0DC8A28ECAF.jpeg

64F1E4DE-1CE3-4D8C-8B85-8E6B945C30A9.jpeg

• Like 10

Enjoy your session Stu, hope you get some great views. It’s beautifully dark and transparent out there but I desperately need a good night’s sleep, so am reluctantly retiring for the night. I can’t remember, is that a 3” class Tak? Looks like a good match for the Giro-WR. I use my 66mm on the GiroWR - nice grab and go. Recently I tried  binoviewers with the 66mm and was amazed at how good the views were. 

• Like 1

I got my first view of the GRS last night @Stu and I have to say I was shocked at how pale it is now,  just a pastel pink really and quite hard to spot as it came around the edge of the disc. The NEB in comparison was a much darker, richer reddish brown  and plenty of colours on show in the other bands. Sad really,  hope the old spot is not fading for good.  😢

• Like 1

Gusting quite strong here but the seeing and transparency have been good. Splitting doubles down to 1.2" with the Skymax. First light for the BCO 10mm, giving sharp views of Jupiter with good contrast. Almost convinced myself that I could see the GRS, but probably wishful thinking!

2 hours ago, Captain Magenta said:

But I can’t resist asking. What’s the red bag for?

It’s just to pop eyepieces or caps in so I don’t lose them. The tripod doesn’t have a tray, so it’s the best option I could think of. They are quite handy for keeping dew off stuff.

1CF7E465-2947-46E2-9D94-49A261A55D1F.jpeg

FB24B5A3-D41D-41C5-AE62-0FD474164B3E.jpeg

7F20F9E6-2EBD-47AC-9081-ED4802BC13D3.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobertI said:

I can’t remember, is that a 3” class Tak? Looks like a good match for the Giro-WR.

Thanks Robert. It’s the 4”, FC100DC. I do need just a smidge more counterweight to smooth it out a bit, but it works very well and is very light and compact as you know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoff Barnes said:

I got my first view of the GRS last night @Stu and I have to say I was shocked at how pale it is now,  just a pastel pink really and quite hard to spot as it came around the edge of the disc. The NEB in comparison was a much darker, richer reddish brown  and plenty of colours on show in the other bands. Sad really,  hope the old spot is not fading for good.  😢

It is quite subtle isn’t it Geoff? Hopefully it will rally again and hang around for a while yet.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Nice! I'll try not to be jealous of your south facing garden and I hope you enjoy the session 👍  

Thanks Chris. It is a rather nice change not to have to spot Jupiter in amongst the houses!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Seeing tonight is the best I had in long time. The best GRS I have seen in my limited viewing experience. SEB and NEB also showing better features than just diffuse brown/orange colours.

10 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

Gusting quite strong here but the seeing and transparency have been good. Splitting doubles down to 1.2" with the Skymax. First light for the BCO 10mm, giving sharp views of Jupiter with good contrast. Almost convinced myself that I could see the GRS, but probably wishful thinking!

The seeing has been pretty good here too generally. Variable at times of course but some good detail coming through. GRS took a time to show, but once fully on the disk it was quite clear. Not as striking as previous times I’ve seen it , but nicely there and showing the separation where it nestles into the SEB. Two dark barges (I assume) showed in the NEB too.